PDA

View Full Version : irish shop in salford?

dgardner
17-03-2011, 16:40
Hi,
I've been told there is a shop in salford that just sells Irish groceries, Does anyone the name and where it is

Peter_
17-03-2011, 16:49
I have found this Irish World Heritage Centre 2011 (http://www.iwhc.com/shop.htm) 10 Queens Road, Cheetham Hill, Manchester, M8 8UF

Or via mail order from The Irish Shop in Coventry (http://www.theirishshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=2&zenid=e9d68d8c08cecaec08bc377a658e673a).

BenMcr
17-03-2011, 16:52
*insert witty irish joke here*

;)

papa smurf
17-03-2011, 19:06
do you mean it sells spuds ?;)

Gary L
17-03-2011, 19:10
Back to front and upside down stuff?

Hugh
17-03-2011, 19:12
Back to front and upside down stuff?That would be Australian, surely?;)

Gary L
17-03-2011, 19:17
Yeh. inside out food, and shelves of guinness then :)

papa smurf
17-03-2011, 19:21
try this

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/irish-world-heritage-centre-manchester

joglynne
17-03-2011, 20:28
My Irish buddy here on CF says I should be able to get a pair of Wellies with "L" and "R" on the front if it's a real Irish shop. :D

papa smurf
17-03-2011, 20:33
My Irish buddy here on CF says I should be able to get a pair of Wellies with "L" and "R" on the front if it's a real Irish shop. :D

but does your friend know what L+R stands for ?;)

Peter_
17-03-2011, 20:39
try this

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/irish-world-heritage-centre-manchester
I take it you missed post #2 above.;)

Sasha222
17-03-2011, 20:42
No nobody will tell us and they are keeping us guessing so when I find out you will be the first to know Papa https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/52.gif

Julian
17-03-2011, 21:05

You used to be able to buy knickers with C&A inside them as well...

Gary L
17-03-2011, 21:16
What does C&A stand for? :confused:

Julian
17-03-2011, 21:47
What does C&A stand for? :confused:

Some info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%26A) :)

Gary L
17-03-2011, 22:02
Some info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%26A) :)

Clemens and August.

I've seen knickers with M&S in. do you want to know what M&S stands for? :)

papa smurf
17-03-2011, 22:03
I take it you missed post #2 above.;)

ah i was hoping you would notice that -well done you passed the test your not irish :)

Peter_
17-03-2011, 22:07
ah i was hoping you would notice that -well done you passed the test your not irish :)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/8.gif

dgardner
19-03-2011, 20:42
Thanks for all the racist replies

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 20:44
Your more than welcome. Anytime as we always aim to please https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/04/31.gif

joglynne
19-03-2011, 20:55
Thanks for all the racist replies

You do realise that at least one of the posters on this thread is Irish, don't you? :D

dgardner
19-03-2011, 21:32
You do realise that at least one of the posters on this thread is Irish, don't you? :D
So does that stop it being racist?

Would it be ok if I had wanted an african shop and someone posted is that where they sell the bongo drums and bananas?
or an israeli store and someone asked if they sold I killed jesus t-shirts?
or an arab store and someone asked if they sold suicide bomb kits?
etc, etc

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 21:34
I dont find it one bit racist and only found it was all done in humor and fun

dgardner
19-03-2011, 21:35
Just because you personally don't find it racist does that make it ok?

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 21:39
What did you find racist about it as I honestly dont understand where they was any racist remarks made :(

dgardner
19-03-2011, 21:48
post 4
post 5
post 7
post 9
post 10
post 17
post 21

joglynne
19-03-2011, 21:54

Would it be ok if I had wanted an african shop and someone posted is that where they sell the bongo drums and bananas?
etc, etc

Just because you personally don't find it racist does that make it ok?

I am sorry if you see racism in my posts but I really think that a line has to be drawn between light hearted banter and racism and I am sick and tired of the Political Correctness that has us all walking about as though on broken glass.. You may feel that any humour linked to a specific race is unacceptable but quite frankly I refuse to apologise for my sense of humour which in this case was triggered by my speaking to an Irish friend was was not in the least offended by any of the comments in this thread. I also think you could, maybe, consider how you escalated the "racist" content of this thread when you posted the things I have highlighted. which are are in a totally different vein than a pair of wellies.

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 21:55
Had a look and no just see it all as banter and fun. I'm sure if the mods thought if anyone was being offensive or racist there would be a warning given.

Peter_
19-03-2011, 22:03
post 4
post 5
post 7
post 9
post 10
post 17
post 21
Do you actually realise that defirish is actually Irish and has found nothing in the least bit offensive in any posts in this thread.:)

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 22:06
It was all banter and nobody offended me in anyway whatsoever. I knew it was all fun. I have a sense of humor

dgardner
19-03-2011, 22:08
I am sorry if you see racism in my posts but I really think that a line has to be drawn between light hearted banter and racism and I am sick and tired of the Political Correctness that has us all walking about as though on broken glass.
Isn't that the typical response of a racist?

You may feel that any humour linked to a specific race is unacceptable but quite frankly I refuse to apologise for my sense of humour which in this case was triggered by my speaking to an Irish friend was was not in the least offended by any of the comments in this thread
You weren't speaking to a friend you were posting on a public forum
Would it be ok for me to post jokes about black people if I had a black friend who didn't find them offensive?

The examples I posted were a bit harsher maybe but still valid, would you still find them acceptable?

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 22:11
Actually she Jo was talking to me somewhere else and I told her no I didn't find anything offensive in any of the posts.

Peter_
19-03-2011, 22:14

Would it be ok for me to post jokes about black people if I had a black friend who didn't find them offensive?

The examples I posted were a bit harsher maybe but still valid, would you still find them acceptable?
The is no issue here and why do I know this you may ask?

Because for one the are no moderating remarks in this thread, two it has not been closed and three defirish our well known Irish member has found nothing to be offended about.

This is a none issue that you have decided to blow out of all proportion as you have some kind of agenda.

All you are doing is making yourself out to look very foolish in this thread because basically you are trying to cause a Flame war between the other members posting on here.

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 22:15

I think you are looking for trouble where there is none and not one post was done in any offinsive manner. If anyone should have been bothered it should have been me but I took it in the spirit it was done "Humor and banter"

dgardner
19-03-2011, 22:19
So because we are both Irish and you didn't find the posts racist I can't?

Peter_
19-03-2011, 22:25
Now that is the first time that you have mentioned being Irish up to now in this thread.

You do know what the red triangle is for on each post I take it.

I am from Liverpool with a large Irish community and even those people would be hard pressed to take offence.

The was a large thread about the monetary crisis in Ireland and no one made jokes about that either.

The has been nothing truly derogatory been said about the Irish people or country in this thread at all and you know that which is why no one has risen to your posts.

Sasha222
19-03-2011, 22:30

I do honestly think your out to cause trouble but nobody is rishing to it so you want to keep digging but nobody is going to go to your level. I have loads and loads of friend on here and never since I have joined have I found anyone to be disrespectful to me but has shown a lot of kindness to me.

Stop looking for something that is not there and looking for people to rise to your posts as Its not going to work and as Masque said there is a button to press and also if the mods found anything offensive in any of the posts then there would be warnings and also the thread would have been closed.

Stop looking for something that is not there

dgardner
19-03-2011, 22:36
I haven't been trying to start a flame war I was trying to find out why it is ok to make racist jokes about the Irish but not other countries.
Almost all the responses to my posts haven't answered that but came up with the type of responses that are typically used by racists to explain away there views such as I have a friend who doesn't doesn't find it offensive or your post that I have just said I am Irish - what difference does me being Irish make? If I wasn't Irish would that mean I couldn't be offended by the posts?

Peter_
19-03-2011, 22:37

etc, etc
Now I find it odd that you speak about racism in this post and then for some really strange reason you post some truly racist remarks above, you are really unbelievable.

By the way I am an atheist and even i remember from my school days that it was the Romans who crucified Jesus and finished him off with a spear, so not only are you racially stereotyping but also accusing a people of a crime they never did which amounts to racism.

Paul
19-03-2011, 22:47
Enough of the "this is racist" talk. Stick to the topic. If you find that impossible, leave the thread.

Gary L
20-03-2011, 13:01
I popped into the shop mentioned. and little lepricorns don't serve behind the counter.

Hugh
20-03-2011, 13:29
leprechauns........

(and they are not behind the counter, they are at the end of the rainbow, with their pot of gold).

joglynne
20-03-2011, 13:29
I must admit I'm tempted to visit the shop and see if it stocks Brack.

I was sent some last year but it didn't travel well, or rather it didn't take well to being forced through my letter box. :D I think, on reflection, that the version I was sent wasn't the one my friend had intended, ...never send a man to do the shopping I say...and we found it a little too spicy. Even the birds kicked it off their feeding table and it lay on the patio mouldering until John took pity on the local wildlife and gave it a decent burial. I must say that the area he buried it in has stayed remarkable weed free.

......anyhow, if anyone does get to the shop before next weekend can they have a nosey for me and see if there is any Brack on sale.

Peter_
20-03-2011, 13:35
leprechauns........

(and they are not behind the counter, they are at the end of the rainbow, with their pot of gold).
Probably still in bed nursing hangovers from Thursday.

Julian
20-03-2011, 13:43
I must admit I'm tempted to visit the shop and see if it stocks Brack.

I was sent some last year but it didn't travel well, or rather it didn't take well to being forced through my letter box. :D I think, on reflection, that the version I was sent wasn't the one my friend had intended, ...never send a man to do the shopping I say...and we found it a little too spicy. Even the birds kicked it off their feeding table and it lay on the patio mouldering until John took pity on the local wildlife and gave it a decent burial. I must say that the area he buried it in has stayed remarkable weed free.

......anyhow, if anyone does get to the shop before next weekend can they have a nosey for me and see if there is any Brack on sale.

I know it's not exactly the same but have you tried this Jo?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/22.jpg

Widely available too. :)

joglynne
20-03-2011, 15:19
I know it's not exactly the same but have you tried this Jo?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/03/22.jpg

Widely available too. :)

Cheers Julian, yup I have tried the Yorkshire Tea Loaf and very nice it was too. :D

I know she won't mind me saying it was she who started this quest to convert me to all things Irish, but Defirish has been extolling the virtues of Brack and I thought I would make the effort to track some of the "real" stuff down following the disaster we had with the Brack she sent me. I have a recipe but I am a sling it in type of cook and couldn't guarantee that what I baked had any similarity to the real thing. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2016/10/1.gif

Peter_
20-03-2011, 15:37
Cheers Julian, yup I have tried the Yorkshire Tea Loaf and very nice it was too. :D

I know she won't mind me saying it was she who started this quest to convert me to all things Irish, but Defirish has been extolling the virtues of Brack and I thought I would make the effort to track some of the "real" stuff down following the disaster we had with the Brack she sent me. I have a recipe but I am a sling it in type of cook and couldn't guarantee that what I baked had any similarity to the real thing. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2016/10/1.gif
Have you had a look in ASDA or Tesco for Brack, I think I have actually seen it in ALDI as well.

joglynne
20-03-2011, 16:23
Have you had a look in ASDA or Tesco for Brack, I think I have actually seen it in ALDI as well.

Cheers Masque.

I have looked in the big supermarkets but have never found any. I go in Lidl occasionally and have never seen any there but I will make a point of looking in Aldi next time we pass a branch. I understand it is traditionally eaten around Halloween so maybe that's why I haven't seen any.

I think I will just have to drive up to Cheetham Hill and see what delights the Irish Shop has to offer. :)

Scrubbs
20-03-2011, 16:41
If we are talking tea loaf's(or is that loaves?) "Betty's" (http://www.bettys.co.uk/product/Yorkshire-Tea-Loaf,19074,147.aspx) has got my vote:)

joglynne
20-03-2011, 17:02
If we are talking tea loaf's(or is that loaves?) "Betty's" (http://www.bettys.co.uk/product/Yorkshire-Tea-Loaf,19074,147.aspx) has got my vote:)

We go to the International Antiques Fair in Harrogate every year and the weekend wouldn't be complete if we didn't pop into Betty's for Afternoon Tea. If there is a heaven then Betty does the cakes. :)

Scrubbs
20-03-2011, 17:10
Ah yes, but you've got a krispy kreme shop,errr .....maybe not far from an "irish shop in salford" (phew that was close, nearly went too far off topic:D):)

joglynne
20-03-2011, 17:45
Ah yes, but you've got a krispy kreme shop,errr .....maybe not far from an "irish shop in salford" (phew that was close, nearly went too far off topic:D):)

:D Good save there Scrubbs.

Peter_
20-03-2011, 17:49
Cheers Masque.

I have looked in the big supermarkets but have never found any. I go in Lidl occasionally and have never seen any there but I will make a point of looking in Aldi next time we pass a branch. I understand it is traditionally eaten around Halloween so maybe that's why I haven't seen any.

I think I will just have to drive up to Cheetham Hill and see what delights the Irish Shop has to offer. :)
I think we may have bought one in their in October, I will look one day this week as I like their fruit range.

joglynne
23-03-2011, 18:43
I think we may have bought one in their in October, I will look one day this week as I like their fruit range.

Called into Aldi this morning and found an Irish Whiskey Cake. It looked delicious and I was looking forward to having a slice after lunch. That was until my friend came around on the scrounge and nicked the dang thing as her sister had arrived unannounced. Oh well Cheetham Hill here I come.

Sasha222
23-03-2011, 18:48
Are you sure it was Elaine and not a leprechaun that took it as they left here when the recession started and went to your neck of the woods :D:D:D:D:D

joglynne
23-03-2011, 18:51
Are you sure it was Elaine and not a leprechaun that took it as they left here when the recession started and went to your neck of the woods :D:D:D:D:D

Do Leprechauns cackle? if so you could be right. Nice to see you back by the way. :)

Sasha222
23-03-2011, 19:01
Thats them. Feed them and they will stop cackling. Thanks Jo and good to be back as well :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Kymmy
23-03-2011, 19:05
Called into Aldi this morning and found an Irish Whiskey Cake. It looked delicious and I was looking forward to having a slice after lunch. That was until my friend came around on the scrounge and nicked the dang thing as her sister had arrived unannounced. Oh well Cheetham Hill here I come.

I much prefer the bagel shops round Cheetham Hill/Broughton way.. Freshly baked.. or fresh rye bread smothered in Pastrami, pickles and mayo...yummy

joglynne
23-03-2011, 19:11
I much prefer the bagel shops round Cheetham Hill/Broughton way.. Freshly baked.. or fresh rye bread smothered in Pastrami, pickles and mayo...yummy

Stop that drooling this minute, Pastrami on Rye with mayo and a side order of pickles, bliss, you are making me hungry. I wonder if the Polish Deli in Chorlton is still open? :D

bigsinky
04-04-2011, 09:18
Hi,
I've been told there is a shop in salford that just sells Irish groceries, Does anyone the name and where it is

we have many shops in Belfast that sell English groceries. but you englanders miss out on so much. Potato bread, soda bread, wheaten farls, barmbrack, champ, ulster fries, oirish stew, dulse and not forgetting whiskey and poitÃ*n