PDA

View Full Version : Finding Proper Tradesmen

Barewolf
16-03-2011, 15:18
Hi

How can I find out if someone isn't a dodgy builder?

Theres a place you can check I believe but I cant seem to find it.

Also, everytime I try to check for builders in my area most are out of business.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

You can close this now.

Federation of Master builders was the thing I was looking for

joglynne
16-03-2011, 15:21
The Federation of Master Builders

Be wary of assuming anyone on their register is OK. There are some very good builders listed but there are also some less than reputable ones as well. Do your homework and make sure you ask for, and follow up ,references. My husband was a registered builder with them and he was one of the good guys. However the references he gave them were never followed up and they never inspected any of his work. They just took the expensive membership fee and listed him, he could have been a right conman for all the care the Federation took in vetting him.

You could try asking around, or maybe have a stroll around your neighbourhood to see if there is any work going on that you can have a nosey at and maybe quiz the house-owners. If you have any independent builders yards, or any building trade suppliers near you call in and see if they can recommend any local builder. They won't want to have any negative comeback for the recommendation so should only point you in the direction of a builder who they trust themselves, but, still ask for references and make sure you follow them up.

At this time of year most good builders and trades people will be booked up so be a tad wary of any that can start work immediately, They may have just had a job delayed or cancelled but most would move up a waiting job and put you at the bottom of their list so being able to start immediately would ring alarm bells with me.

Oh and don't for any reason pay up front.

Dai
16-03-2011, 16:03
As Jo says, be careful. FMB have had some extremely dodgy characters on the books at times.

Ask for references and do follow them up. Personally I'd run a mile from anyone that could start straight away.

And I want to know where they live. I absolutely will not do business with someone whose only contact is a cellphone number.

Mick Fisher
16-03-2011, 16:28
Word of Mouth is probably the best method but is far from infallable.

Trade Registers like The Federation of Master Builders and Yellow Pages are the worst places to look.

Salu
16-03-2011, 18:03
Don't Which? maintain a list of tradesmen??

soup dragon
16-03-2011, 18:06
checkatrade.com down in the south not sure if it is nationwide

Hom3r
16-03-2011, 18:23
The best method is ask family & friends, rather than pull a name out of the Yellow Pages or such.