PDA

View Full Version : Rafters in the attic

Welshchris
28-02-2011, 12:27
a mate of mine for security reasons is looking to install a safe im the attic and wants to attach it to a rafter.

He wants to drill 2 holes and attach the bolts into it.

Would this weaken the rafter?

I told him he would be better off either attaching it to a beam or a using a strong chain instead.

MovedGoalPosts
28-02-2011, 12:32
The first question to consider is what is the weight of this safe. Most timbers in roofs are barely substantial enough to support the roof coverings. In modern houses with the factory assembled trusses they have to carefully consider and perhaps strenghten for water tank locations. In many older properties you often have to strengthen when reroofing as the structure isn't able to take the loads of tiles compared to original slate.

I wouldn't want to be drilling and bolting into any rafter (normally the sloping timbers underneath the tiles). Ceiling joists might be another matter, but I'd prefer spreading a couple of bearers over a few of the timbers (which could be secured with various jointing plates) and creating a platform on that to which the safe is then fitted.

Taf
28-02-2011, 12:44
He might be better off securing it to the chimney stack if he has one (with steel strapping, not holes in the stack), after beefing-up the joists underneath and adding noggins and a mounting board.

Will the safe fit through the attic hatch? Will it be too heavy to get up there? Is it fireproof?

martyh
28-02-2011, 14:41
a mate of mine for security reasons is looking to install a safe im the attic and wants to attach it to a rafter.

He wants to drill 2 holes and attach the bolts into it.

Would this weaken the rafter?

I told him he would be better off either attaching it to a beam or a using a strong chain instead.

Everything Rob said + how big is the safe going to be .Is it going to be a little one like this

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=safe

in which case no problems ,in the loft there should be verticle drops of timber called Hangers attached to the rafter and joist these will be ok to fix a small safe such as the one i linked too .Anything bigger will need the joist strengthened to sit the safe on and a additional Hanger to fix the safe to

Ramrod
28-02-2011, 20:28
He'd be better off attaching the safe to a concrete floor downstairs. Part of the security of a safe is that it's bolted to the floor from the inside which means that it can't be picked up and removed to be opened at leisure somewhere else.

budwieser
28-02-2011, 20:56
He'd be better off attaching the safe to a concrete floor downstairs. Part of the security of a safe is that it's bolted to the floor from the inside which means that it can't be picked up and removed to be opened at leisure somewhere else.

+1

martyh
28-02-2011, 21:02

very true ,but if it must go in the loft then screw it to the brick wall with expansion bolts

Tricky
28-02-2011, 21:23
Also consider that if (god forbid) there is a fire or anything the last thing they or the fire brigade want is a few Kilo of Safe falling through the house

Ramrod
28-02-2011, 22:52
very true ,but if it must go in the loft then screw it to the brick wall with expansion boltsBut safes don't tend to have holes in their vertical back surfaces to bolt them to a wall. They always (in my experience) have holes in the bottom to bolt to the floor with.

martyh
28-02-2011, 23:01
But safes don't tend to have holes in their vertical back surfaces to bolt them to a wall. They always (in my experience) have holes in the bottom to bolt to the floor with.

home safes do ,they come with pre drilled holes for wall and floor fixing

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/yale-safe-home.html

raging bull
01-03-2011, 06:52
My aged mother has a wall mounted safe, was asked to find somewhere for her to hide it?
Mounted inside a little used built in wardrobe with 150mm plugs/screws (frame fixings I believe they are called).
She can at least use the safe with ease!

Ramrod
01-03-2011, 10:14
home safes do ,they come with pre drilled holes for wall and floor fixing

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/yale-safe-home.htmlAh, ok. I though we were talking about 'real' safes :)

martyh
01-03-2011, 14:41
Ah, ok. I though we were talking about 'real' safes :)

well i assume they aren't as getting a real safe into the loft would pose a problem on it's own :D

Taf
01-03-2011, 14:54
You're only supposed to blow the bloody tiles off!