PDA

View Full Version : Christians should stand up for their beliefs

Jimmy-J
26-02-2011, 02:44
British society regards Christians with scorn and is too ready to dismiss believers as bigots who do not have a brain, according to the Archbishop of Canterbury’s wife.

Jane Williams, a theologian and teacher, said many Christians felt uncomfortable talking about their beliefs and feared that doing so was “not politically correct”.

But “lazy” and “scornful” attitudes towards people of faith in Britain must be challenged, she said, urging Christians to be more prepared to “argue our corner”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8348132/Jane-Williams-Christians-should-stand-up-for-their-beliefs.html

Russ
26-02-2011, 07:28
Whereas standing up for our beliefs should be a given, I think the issue should be more a case standing up for our right to believe. I think attacks from ignorant and intolerant atheists are more of an issue to us. That and the fact Christians aren't exactly known for violent demonstrations if we feel our beliefs have been wronged.

papa smurf
26-02-2011, 08:49
The EDL lead spokesman, using the pseudonym “Tommy Robinson,” claimed that the EDL’s efforts are to defend “Christian culture” in the United Kingdom. Mr. Robinson’s speech included defending the dignity of the Christian Bible..

description of Tommy Robinson's speech at EDL march Leicester [available on you tube but full of bad language] so can't be posted .

seems there are some Christians standing up for their beliefs .

Hugh
26-02-2011, 09:03
His behaviours (previous and present) aren't reflective of Christian values, imho.

He is using them as a tool, not as a way of life......

martyh
26-02-2011, 10:07
The EDL lead spokesman, using the pseudonym “Tommy Robinson,” claimed that the EDL’s efforts are to defend “Christian culture” in the United Kingdom. Mr. Robinson’s speech included defending the dignity of the Christian Bible..

description of Tommy Robinson's speech at EDL march Leicester [available on you tube but full of bad language] so can't be posted .

seems there are some Christians standing up for their beliefs .

so his idea of standing up for christian beliefs is to be religiously and culturally intolerant ....wonderful :rolleyes:

papa smurf
26-02-2011, 10:08
so his idea of standing up for christian beliefs is to be religiously and culturally intolerant ....wonderful :rolleyes:

its nothing new in the world of religion ;) he's just being ignorant and intolerant .

martyh
26-02-2011, 10:18
its nothing new in the world of religion ;) he's just being ignorant and intolerant .

The thing is though for some overzealous christians does standing up for their beliefs mean ramming it down other peoples throat

papa smurf
26-02-2011, 10:22
The thing is though for some overzealous christians does standing up for their beliefs mean ramming it down other peoples throat

you'd have to ask them -i am but a humble atheist with nothing to ram ;)

Maggy
26-02-2011, 12:56
Most Christians don't ram their beliefs down anyone's throats.

It's the cults that do the ramming.Jehovah's Witness and Mormons come to mind as prime examples.

Chris
26-02-2011, 13:06

That's not religious, that's simply human. You don't have to look very far to find an ignorant and intolerant atheist. ;)

Dai
26-02-2011, 13:58
It does seem to a great extent that Christianity has become too 'nice'. It's all 'turn the other cheek' and 'forgive the sinner'.

Where are the modern equivalents of the crusaders, strong, confident and determined to turn back the infidel?

Granted we welcome all races and cultures into our land these days but we still need our modern crusaders to say 'how dare you' to the insidious forces at work in modern pc society.

Happy clappy and embroidering kneelers is fine as far as it goes but there are evil forces at work that really need more than a *metaphorical* slap.

papa smurf
26-02-2011, 14:08
That's not religious, that's simply human. You don't have to look very far to find an ignorant and intolerant atheist. ;)

and it would seem one doesn't have to look to far for the Christian counterpart;)

Taf
26-02-2011, 14:23
Parisian pavements are getting difficult to negotiate of late.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b57_1298705444

Should christians have a prayer meeting on the streets of some muslim country?

papa smurf
26-02-2011, 14:29

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b57_1298705444

Should christians have a prayer meeting on the streets of some muslim country?

their just shopaholics paying homage to the sales :)

Gary L
26-02-2011, 17:57

They can pack that in.

did anyone check they were facing the right way this time?

Chris
26-02-2011, 19:30
and it would seem one doesn't have to look to far for the Christian counterpart;)

Which rather proves my point, doesn't it. :shrug: Ignorance and intolerance is simply a human trait. Those who see it in others but refuse to see it in themselves are the ones you want to worry about, regardless of whether they hold to any religion or not.

Dai
26-02-2011, 23:12
Well you have a point Chris, but while you continue to be smart and tolerant there are others who are quietly stealing your world.

ChrisLUFC22
27-02-2011, 22:47

Well said. I'm very ignorant and intolerant of other's belief's ;)

TheNorm
28-02-2011, 01:51
In my opinion, there is a world of difference between the religion (Christianity) and the religious hierarchy (archbishops, primates, bishops, etc.). A greater effort could be made to reinforce the distinction, so that people don't mix up the two (e.g. Catholicism = paedophilic priests).