PDA

View Full Version : Having Virgin Media on a 2nd TV?

markengland
06-02-2011, 09:28
Hi, first post here. I have just completed an installation of Sky TV on a 2nd TV in my house using the RF Output on the back of the Sky box, plus a booster and then a Magic Eye on the 2nd TV. My parents want me to do the same at their house but they have Cable and not Sky. Is the principal the same or are the connections on a VM box totally different? Anything specific I will need to buy to complete it, assuming it is the same as Sky? They are aware they will have to watch the same channel as in the lounge which isn't a problem. Many thanks. Mark.

jb66
06-02-2011, 10:16
Depends on what brand of box they have

spiderplant
06-02-2011, 10:29
VM boxes don't provide power for Magic Eyes, so you'd have to use a separate power supply, and as jb66 says, some VM boxes don't have an RF output at all. A wireless video sender connected to the SCART is usually a much easier solution.

ps. Welcome to the forum!

markengland
06-02-2011, 10:32
Thanks spiderplant. Don't the AV senders suffer badly from interference though? I had some a few years ago and they were awful - they ended up in the bin! The picture was unwatchable.

WooLLsterQ
06-02-2011, 10:50
It's only an extra £5 a month for an extra box depending on their package type :)

spiderplant
06-02-2011, 12:20
Don't the AV senders suffer badly from interference though?
I'd say some people have problems but most don't. If you search the forum you will find many posts on the subject.

To be safe, I'd recommend buying a cheap one from somewhere with a no-quibble guarantee. If you do have problems, take it back and get a 5.8GHz one.

markengland
09-02-2011, 09:50
Will look into the AV sender option. In the meantime I have just checked with parents (who don't live locally so can't check myself) and their VM box is a Samsung V+ HD. They couldn't see a model number on it anywhere. Does anyone know if this would have a powered RF output on the back so I can run an extension to an upstairs TV? And would I need anything specific for this other than coaxial cable, amplifier and Magic eye? many thanks

jb66
09-02-2011, 11:02
Samsung doesnt have rf output

weesteev
09-02-2011, 11:26
Samsung doesnt have rf output

Correct, only the Scientific Atlanta V+ had it, the Samsung is a much cut down version with less output options.

Matth
09-02-2011, 22:29
http://www.maplin.co.uk/programmable-universal-modulator-33050
If there is a SCART output that is live (and from what I recall, that means the VCR SCART, if the main output is in HD), then you could use a modulator to feed a RF hookup, if you don't find video senders reliable.