PDA

View Full Version : Wasp in the kitchen tonight?

budwieser
27-01-2011, 17:42
My wifes just killed a Wasp in the Kitchen. Where on earth did that come from? I thought they were all dead at this time of year! :erm:

Caff
27-01-2011, 17:50
My wifes just killed a Wasp in the Kitchen. Where on earth did that come from? I thought they were all dead at this time of year! :erm:

Was it a huge/queen-like thing?
It's probably just woken up from hibernation.

I keep finding ladybirds in the bathroom :confused: :D

Kymmy
27-01-2011, 17:50
Some do hibernate, house heating systems can screw up their judgement of when to wake up

budwieser
27-01-2011, 18:06
Was it a huge/queen-like thing?
It's probably just woken up from hibernation.

I keep finding ladybirds in the bathroom :confused: :D

Deffo wasn`t a Queen, was not big enough. Just found it strange as i didn`t think wasps in general hibernated!:erm:

Halcyon
27-01-2011, 18:19
I've found butterflys in winter before too. In a way it is good that they have survived and are still alive.

budwieser
27-01-2011, 18:20
I've found butterflys in winter before too. In a way it is good that they have survived and are still alive.

Yeah True. :)

Sasha222
27-01-2011, 18:59
Not so good for the wasp who is now dead :(:D after surviving the winter https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/01/25.gif

Caff
27-01-2011, 19:01
Deffo wasn`t a Queen, was not big enough. Just found it strange as i didn`t think wasps in general hibernated!:erm:
I'd heard that too, but I've found some big nasties in my house around this time of year so I assumed they had hibernated more close than I was comfortable with. They're after a nesting/feeding site I guess.

budwieser
27-01-2011, 19:15
Not so good for the wasp who is now dead :(:D after surviving the winter https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/01/25.gif

In my House!!!!!!!! :mad::td: Bloody Horrible Things!

TheNorm
27-01-2011, 19:39

In the past few weeks we've had a couple in the kitchen and one in the bathroom (I'm talking about wasps, by the way).

And my wife keeps telling me I have a bee in my bonnet...

Mal
27-01-2011, 20:14
This thread got me singing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS0fXQN6zrI)...

budwieser
27-01-2011, 20:30
In the past few weeks we've had a couple in the kitchen and one in the bathroom (I'm talking about wasps, by the way).

And my wife keeps telling me I have a bee in my bonnet...

" In the past few weeks we've had a couple in the kitchen and one in the bathroom " Lucky Bugger you! :D

Maggy
27-01-2011, 21:07
QFT

Only good wasp is a dead one.

Wasps are predators of the insect kingdom.They do good as do spiders in getting rid of the rather disgusting germ carrying specimens such as flies.Why do people love bees and butterflies but hate wasps and spiders.

Thankfully Ladybirds have a better PR.

Will21st
28-01-2011, 10:47
Wasps are predators of the insect kingdom.They do good as do spiders in getting rid of the rather disgusting germ carrying specimens such as flies.Why do people love bees and butterflies but hate wasps and spiders.

Thankfully Ladybirds have a better PR.

very true... a friend of mine always made sure he had a spider or two by the window during summer,said it was good to keep flies and other nuisances out of the house...

idi banashapan
28-01-2011, 13:41

so, out of interest, if you thought all wasps died over winter, where did you think the 'new batch' of wasps come from each summer time?

pabscars
28-01-2011, 14:24

I found a butterfly outside last week, and it looked frozen to death with not a sign of movement, I brought it in the house and placed it near the radiator to see if I could revive it, low and behold within a couple of hours it was flapping about, looking positively spritely

Unfortunately it didn't last long the poor little mite.