PDA

View Full Version : V+ HD Boxes on Ebay - A question

h3rm1t9536
27-01-2011, 15:22
Hi All,

I have an old samsung box on the L package but have an HD TV.

Called VM up to see if I can get an V HD box (not the V+) and they wanted £50 for the box and £20 for delivery.....bit steep I thought just to allow my wife to watch Eastenders in HD!

I then saw a lot of V and V+ boxes being flogged on Ebay.

My question is, are people within their right to sell them and if I buy one will I be able to transfer my card and get it working? Or will (as I suspect) VM be hardasses and refuse to activate a box not bought via them?

Many thanks!

WillPS
27-01-2011, 15:26
No, no and yes :)

EDIT: they might be in their right to sell it if they've paid the rediculous price VM charge to customers who refuse to return equipment (it's of no further use though, aside from the hard drive I suppose). More likely they've been disconnected and are flogging the stuff as Virgin haven't asked for it back. Thinking of which, I've still got a SA V+ box which Virgin haven't collected (and a 50mb modem). Perhaps I'll give it back when I reconnect in August :D

h3rm1t9536
27-01-2011, 15:29
OK, guess I have to splunge the £70. Shame really, I would prefer to "recycle" one that someone is not using! GO GREEN VIRGIN! Shame on you.

Hugh
27-01-2011, 15:30
By "hardasses", I assume you mean would they want you to pay like everyone else?;)

Peter_
27-01-2011, 15:36
Hi All,

I have an old samsung box on the L package but have an HD TV.

Called VM up to see if I can get an V HD box (not the V+) and they wanted £50 for the box and £20 for delivery.....bit steep I thought just to allow my wife to watch Eastenders in HD!

I then saw a lot of V and V+ boxes being flogged on Ebay.

My question is, are people within their right to sell them and if I buy one will I be able to transfer my card and get it working? Or will (as I suspect) VM be hardasses and refuse to activate a box not bought via them?

Many thanks!
If you buy a second hand box of Ebay then you will be receiving stolen goods, because at all times the box remains the property of Virginmedia, also the box will not work as it cannot be added to your account, and its only use would be as an expensive doorstop.

Call Virgin and get a box from them that you know will work. http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv.html

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

OK, guess I have to splunge the £70. Shame really, I would prefer to "recycle" one that someone is not using! GO GREEN VIRGIN! Shame on you.
Would you prefer to buy a box from Ebay then be charged £70 to activate it instead as that would be a lot dearer, plus you do not know the history of the box which could have been stolen during a burglary and you would end up speaking to the Police over your purchase.

weesteev
27-01-2011, 15:39

The equipment belongs to Virgin, they do recycle it. The boxes on Ebay will be people trying to sell their equipment while under the impression they own it (like Sky equipment).

h3rm1t9536
27-01-2011, 15:52
Firstly.....Masque and Hugh..........I was only asking a perfectly legitimate question as I don't know how it works with this kit and simply saw a way to save money, which I do not have in endless supply, so calm down! One assumes paying £50 for something entitles you to own it,.....eg a mobile phone, I was not aware this was an "activation" fee. Perhaps Ebay need to stop this illicit practice! :D

My opinion of VM being hardasses is not based on thin air, I have been with C&W/NTL/VM for 15+ years and had a lot of bad experiences so don't get me started.

For those who have answered without a lecture, I thank you and goodbye.

Peter_
27-01-2011, 16:06
Firstly.....Masque and Hugh..........I was only asking a perfectly legitimate question as I don't know how it works with this kit and simply saw a way to save money, which I do not have in endless supply, so calm down! One assumes paying £50 for something entitles you to own it,.....eg a mobile phone, I was not aware this was an "activation" fee. Perhaps Ebay need to stop this illicit practice! :D

My opinion of VM being hardasses is not based on thin air, I have been with C&W/NTL/VM for 15+ years and had a lot of bad experiences so don't get me started.

For those who have answered without a lecture, I thank you and goodbye.
I use a standard post I have saved for all these similar post/threads we get, would you not prefer honesty in our advice because those Ebay sellers only want your hard earned money and do not care if the box never works.

No one has ranted here just offered you good sound advice and if you stick around you may like it.

weesteev
27-01-2011, 16:25
I use a standard post I have saved for all these similar post/threads we get

Haha i thought I had seen that response before!

;)

Peter_
27-01-2011, 16:42
Haha i thought I had seen that response before!

;)
Easier than typing it out time and again plus I have other stock answers specifically regards the D Link router.:D

h3rm1t9536
27-01-2011, 16:53
No thanks Masque, I won't stick around. Mentioning "stolen goods" "police" and generally patronising people is not constructive. I asked a simple question and required a simple answer such as WillPS which was concise and to the point. I suggest not using "stock" answers in future.

Kymmy
27-01-2011, 16:59
Correct answers given and accepted can I suggest that we all move on