PDA

View Full Version : prob with new v+ hd box/control

ems
21-01-2011, 18:17
I have been searching google for help and this forum keeps popping up - so thought i'd give it a shot asking here for help ;)

I have had a new v+ hd box delivered tonight, we've plugged it in - spoke to vm and gone through installation. However after we hung up we discovered that the guide/home/tv buttons arent working - the only buttons working on the remote is the number buttons and the channel up/down ones. When you press a button the light on the control flashes and the box light flashes so it recieves the message. The buttons directly on the box aren't picking up either :S We called back and after an hour of being transferred from pillar to post we were told no one knew what was wrong and a technicians coming out!

We were looking forward to a weekend of HD tv and enjoying the box though - has anyone ideas of what it could be - and if we could potentially look at this ourselves?

Thanks in advance!

Peter_
21-01-2011, 18:52
It sounds like a duff box and if the is no change after they have sent signals to the box and had you reboot it then an engineer would be booked, it may rectify itself overnight as the signals may be delayed but other than that you will need to await the engineer visit.

Jonnymeg
21-01-2011, 19:59
You have got the scart lead plugged into the wrong socket on the v+ box.
It needs to be plugged into the bottom socket, you probably have it in the top one. Swap them round.

SIMPLES!!!!

Peter_
21-01-2011, 20:07
You have got the scart lead plugged into the wrong socket on the v+ box.
It needs to be plugged into the bottom socket, you probably have it in the top one. Swap them round.

SIMPLES!!!!
By jove! I believe your right the scart will be in the video socket not the tv socket, so obvious really.:)

spiderplant
21-01-2011, 20:24
Are they sending SA boxes on QuickStart now?

If it's not that, my money is on a provisioning error - no V+ entitlement on the card.

Peter_
21-01-2011, 20:28
Are they sending SA boxes on QuickStart now?

If it's not that, my money is on a provisioning error - no V+ entitlement on the card.
No idea with regards Quickstart and which box but the engineers give out SA boxes so they may do with regards stock.

Would'nt the card not being provisioned come up on the system and a hit sort it out?

ems
21-01-2011, 20:40
Thanks for the responses :) Out of sheer frustration we took it all apart and started from scratch and it worked! Didnt take much notice of what cables were where - so it prob was in the wrong place and we corrected it without realising, sounds like it from what you guys have suggested!
Should of done that before spending an hour on the phone, and switching it on and off at the plug! lol - Thanks again :D

Jonnymeg
21-01-2011, 21:55
This is a common problem as NO MENUS are displayed when a tv is connected to the VCR scart socket.
So the home button and the like will appear not to work.
This is so that when customers are recording to a vcr no menu actions are recorded.

Peter_
22-01-2011, 06:28
Thanks for the responses :) Out of sheer frustration we took it all apart and started from scratch and it worked! Didnt take much notice of what cables were where - so it prob was in the wrong place and we corrected it without realising, sounds like it from what you guys have suggested!
Should of done that before spending an hour on the phone, and switching it on and off at the plug! lol - Thanks again :D
They should have asked you to check the cables on the phone.

What model is the box by the way.

spiderplant
22-01-2011, 10:54
It's a Samsung (I PM'd ems). So that rules out the "wrong SCART" theory. Maybe the card wasn't seated correctly or the hits were slow.

Peter_
22-01-2011, 11:41
It's a Samsung (I PM'd ems). So that rules out the "wrong SCART" theory. Maybe the card wasn't seated correctly or the hits were slow.
Probably hits were slow similar to last week.

Jonnymeg
22-01-2011, 13:12

What? Of course it doesnt.

That is what the problem is. If you plug your TV into the VCR scart socket on a V+ you will get this behaviour. I have been to many service calls for this.
A card not seated, or a failed hit will not stop the remote from functioning, you just get error messages.

monkey2468
22-01-2011, 15:02
Not on Samsungs as they output menus on both scarts unlike sa's. A failed HDD will give this effect also.

oliver1948uk
22-01-2011, 15:32
In the first post ems says he is looking forward to a weekend of HD TV.

If he is connected by scart, he won't get High Definition.