PDA

View Full Version : Disability Living Allowance your views

sir_drinks_alot
16-01-2011, 17:54
Right i'm going to parliament this thursday to talk about DLA before i do i'd like to hear the members of cable forum views and opinions about it.

papa smurf
16-01-2011, 18:04
talk about what exactly -who gets it -who should get it -certain parts of it ???

can you give more info

Peter_
16-01-2011, 18:23
We did have a large thread running from June last year here which should also give some insight.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/20/33666688-osborne-indicates-incapacity-benefits-to-cut.html

sir_drinks_alot
16-01-2011, 18:32
talk about what exactly -who gets it -who should get it -certain parts of it ???

can you give more info

all parts of it

Hugh
16-01-2011, 18:56
Who are you talking to about it?

dilli-theclaw
16-01-2011, 19:37
I get it, various people on here think I shouldn't get it. One person thinks I should be gassed as ima a waste if resources.

I use it to fund adaptive technology to deal with my impairment mainly. Braille machines - talking books - software that kind of thing.

I am due to be assesses within a few months so I don't kNow if I will continue to get it.

Not sure what kind of things you are after but if you have a specific question feel free to PM me or ask in here and I shall let you know :)

Peter_
16-01-2011, 19:40
I get it, various people on here think I shouldn't get it. One person thinks I should be gassed as ima a waste if resources.

I use it to fund adaptive technology to deal with my impairment mainly. Braille machines - talking books - software that kind of thing.

I am due to be assesses within a few months so I don't kNow if I will continue to get it.

Not sure what kind of things you are after but if you have a specific question feel free to PM me or ask in here and I shall let you know :)
With your sight issues you of all people should receive it, so if anyone thinks otherwise they are talking rubbish.:)

Maggy
16-01-2011, 19:49
I think we need more details sir_drinks_alot IF we are to make any suggestions.Are you speaking to your MP or someone in the appropriate department..or a committee?

candy1567
17-01-2011, 00:01
Hi

It also depends on which part u are lookin at, either the one box fits all form and how to word the form to get the necessary points to be entitled to the benefit.

Or the long drawn out process in actually qualifying for the benefit, the degrading medical from the EMP doctors who u have to justify ur condition to, or indeed those who know how to work the system to get the benefit.

yes i am qualified to make the above assumption as used to be a tribunal rep for disability benefits within the CAB and also now as a social worker in the mental health field.

ppl should qualify for the benefit with medical professionals giving detailed reports of their medical condition which supports their diagnosis. To many ppl are missing out on the benefit due to the long winded process and diabolical form they have to fill in, many dont understand the format of the form.

Also from a professional point of view, its better to go to the CAB for help filling in the form as if u go to a benefits advisor say for example through a solicitors then if ur not awarded the benefit they do not represent u if u need to go to appeal, which is not as daunting as some may think.

So in my own opinion there are flaws to both sides

Juliex

danielf
17-01-2011, 00:14
<snip> One person thinks I should be gassed as im a waste if resources.<snip>

Don't let the *******s get to you Dilli. You are (or should be) an inspiration to all people. I honestly can't think of any people that stay more positive in the light of adversity you've seen. Respect is due... :nworthy:

Angua
17-01-2011, 09:59
There are people who could work (and do) with support and people who cannot live without support. Both need and deserve DLA. What seems to have been completely overlooked by this government is this basic reason & need for DLA; to pay for support however the claimant chooses to use it. They have lumped DLA in with Incapacity benefit as the benefit most being abused instead of keeping it separate.

SDA also worth joining in with http://www.advancehousing.org.uk/index.asp?m=302&s=315&t=Keep+mortgages+affordable+for+disabled+people

Welshchris
17-01-2011, 12:12
i get it because i have spinal problems 5 discs worn in my spine + osteo arthritis + spondilosis + i suffer with post traumatic stress and ive been told i have a muscle problem starting in my legs which could be something called fabmilalga or something cant spell it.

I take 4 anti histamines a day 4x 160mg (recomended dose is 1 a day but consultant had to up it), 1 anti inflamatory 600mg, 2 x 10mg Amitriptyline, 60mg citalopram, 2 x 10mg propanalol, thats without my Tramadol which i have to take 2 to leave the flat cos of the pain + whatever else and codine which i take ontop for pain.

+ i have to get treatment for cronic Psoriasis.

Dai
17-01-2011, 13:50
Guessing that you mean Fibromyalgia Chris. Not good at all.

Still surely nobody can argue with your need for support?

Fingy
17-01-2011, 17:24
I think that if you are really entitled to it that it should not be as difficult to apply for, especially for a 'non-visable' 'disability'. I am hoping to be able to get it for my son who is on the ASD Spectrum which will help me buy things to assist with his learning development but keep putting it off as I know how blinking awkward it can be.

Taf
17-01-2011, 17:29
If you can get a Consultant on board with you, things go a lot smoother as their input on the forms can make or break a decision AFAIK.

Flyboy
17-01-2011, 18:05
Right i'm going to parliament this thursday to talk about DLA before i do i'd like to hear the members of cable forum views and opinions about it.

Flyboy11 gets it. It pays for various treatments and therapies he cannot get on the NHS. It goes towards the extra cost of being able to send him to a school that is too far to walk to. It goes towards he extra cost of an occupational therapist that, although his statement says he should get, he only gets one hour a term. Obviously the amount he gets doesn't cover all the costs of these but it certainly helps.

His case is up for review in March and the criteria have changed, but unfortunately there has been no miracle cure for autism.

I have heard from others that their main concerns are that they get assessed by poorly qualified medics, and their full circumstances are not taken account. They are also mainly concerned about the appeals process, that it takes too long and is too biased.

Turkey Machine
17-01-2011, 20:54
Appeals need to be looked at for people with social disabilities like Aspergers Syndrome. I was refused based on my apparent ability to be able to handle society at 18 by three people above 40 who didn't know me at all. I was nowhere near ready for it IMHO. My mother answered half the questions they asked because I didn't know how to answer them.

The forms are over-complicated, or at least they were about 6 years ago. Citizens Advice are the only ones who have any major experience with DLA forms / appeals. They were very helpful for me at the time. I haven't bothered since because the effort in filling those forms out is monumental and I have major respect for anybody doing so.

Paul
17-01-2011, 21:06
The forms are over-complicated, or at least they were about 6 years ago. Citizens Advice are the only ones who have any major experience with DLA forms / appeals. They were very helpful for me at the time. I haven't bothered since because the effort in filling those forms out is monumental and I have major respect for anybody doing so.
They havent changed much - its still like writing a novel.

Flyboy
17-01-2011, 23:09
Another thing to reform is the advice and support given to claimants by DWP. We were advised by them to include the worst days, I replied I would rather do it honestly and include the better days as well, but as it has recently turned out, that advice meant that many claimants are now filling in the forms illegally.

Stuart
17-01-2011, 23:41
If you can get a Consultant on board with you, things go a lot smoother as their input on the forms can make or break a decision AFAIK.

True. My sister (who was a member here briefly, but left because she didn't like the attitude displayed by some of the posters) is on DLA. She had major back surgery years back and still cannot work. As part of a routine check, the DWP (or whoever it is now) sent round a GP they employ to do this stuff. After a 10 minute interview, he left. A few days later, she got a letter telling her that the GP had diagnosed a back ache, so she wan't entitled to anything. She phoned her consultant who immediately wrote a long and very detailed letter explaining exactly what she had had done, what was still wrong and why she was entitled to full DLA. He sent copies to both us and the DWP. A few days after that, she got a letter from the DWP that said they had reinstated all her benefits.

Welshchris
19-01-2011, 00:39
Guessing that you mean Fibromyalgia Chris. Not good at all.

Still surely nobody can argue with your need for support?

Thats it lol

I didnt know anything about it, i started getting very bad muscular pains and lockups in my calfs that are so bad i cannot move my feet or ankles and the pain is immense. I put it down to the Arthrits spreading but when i mentioned it to my Raematologist she sent me for more xrays and another MRI + blood tests etc and i was told it was this and she increased Amitryptaline + pain killers.

I know a lot of people say well your only 29 and that gets to me but as the doctor said to me what u have to take into account it started by me getting attacked by bullies at school and i popped a disc in my spine + bruised colar bone and this was when i was 11 so its 18 years going on 19 years of wear and tear.

Ramrod
19-01-2011, 09:03
One person thinks I should be gassed as ima a waste if resources.I could come round your place and eat a large quantity of baked beans if you like :D

dilli-theclaw
19-01-2011, 09:11
I could come round your place and eat a large quantity of baked beans if you like :D
Starvation AND gassing - thats all I need ;) :)

DocDutch
19-01-2011, 11:18
Starvation AND gassing - thats all I need ;) :)
but dilli, bop already gassed you on the last lan... so am still amazed you are alive after that treatment.

To be fair with regards to the dla it is a crock that people that should and could work are claiming this where as people with proper disabilities get cuts to their benefit and I would imagine that they would prefer to work if they could.