PDA

View Full Version : Points...

Wayfair
13-01-2011, 15:03
Asking this question on behalf of nephew..

He got caught speeding in October 10, doing 101mph, yes yes I know so please put your sticks away..

Anyway, he went to court today and received a 14 day driving ban and 3 points, loads of reasons why it was reduced to 14 days but that is for another day, the question is, the 14 day ban starts today so am I right in thinking that the points start today as well, or do they go on the date of offence?

Peter_
13-01-2011, 15:05

He got caught speeding in October 10, doing 101mph, yes yes I know so please put your sticks away..

Anyway, he went to court today and received a 14 day driving ban and 3 points, loads of reasons why it was reduced to 14 days but that is for another day, the question is, the 14 day ban starts today so am I right in thinking that the points start today as well, or do they go on the date of offence?
My points were from the date of the offence so I presume his will be as well and his insurance company needs to be made aware of them and the ban.

Wayfair
13-01-2011, 17:55
Thanks Masque, I know if you accept the speeding roadside the points are added from that date, but is going to court for them different?

Chris
13-01-2011, 18:02
It makes very little difference, surely? They're endorsed upon the licence for 5 years, and the points themselves are active for the first 3 years. Was there a big gap between the offence and the conviction?

Wayfair
13-01-2011, 18:12
No not a big gap, but the fool is a new driver, and already has 3 points from last yr.

His 2 yrs 'probationary' period ran out in Nov, he got caught late Oct, sooooooo if the points go from date of offence then DVLA will revoke his licence and he will have to apply for a provisional and start again.

If the points go from the court date he will get the licence back with 6 points.

Big difference..

martyh
13-01-2011, 18:14
Thanks Masque, I know if you accept the speeding roadside the points are added from that date, but is going to court for them different?

I think if you go to court they are dated from the conviction date ,either way you will find out when they return his paper counterpart licence

Peter_
13-01-2011, 19:45
It makes very little difference, surely? They're endorsed upon the licence for 5 years, and the points themselves are active for the first 3 years. Was there a big gap between the offence and the conviction?
Points are active for 4 years, I have them.

dazzer89
14-01-2011, 07:19

Points for speeding are from the date of offence. There's all the info on the leaflet you get with your driving licence.

Serious driving offences are from the date of conviction.

This explains it all. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/EndorsementsAndDisqualifications/DG_4022550

Chris
14-01-2011, 10:17
No not a big gap, but the fool is a new driver, and already has 3 points from last yr.

His 2 yrs 'probationary' period ran out in Nov, he got caught late Oct, sooooooo if the points go from date of offence then DVLA will revoke his licence and he will have to apply for a provisional and start again.

If the points go from the court date he will get the licence back with 6 points.

Big difference..

Fair point.

However, there's still a bigger issue - namely, that having had a driving ban (even if it was only for a couple of weeks), his insurance costs are going to go through the roof.

As Masque said, he must tell them ASAP; if he doesn't, the information is easily significant enough for them to cancel the policy and refuse to pay out if he has to make a claim.

Wayfair
14-01-2011, 10:28
He said he will tell them when he finds out for sure if his licence is revoked or not, if it is then it's not going to come into play till he passes the driving test again, and then woooooooooohooooooo have a premium lol..

As it stands, he is banned so he can't drive, also his car is SORN as he can't afford the mot as he was laid off the day after he got caught speeding..

Chris
14-01-2011, 10:35
He had better hope it doesn't get damaged or stolen while it's under SORN in that case. Anything at all that results in an insurance claim is going to end up with them cancelling the policy and refusing to pay out, if he hasn't told them that he has had a driving ban.

If he does end up back on a provisional licence, then any insurer covering any car he is named as a driver in is also going to have to be told he has had a ban.

Wayfair
14-01-2011, 11:11
Right,

He has had some advice and it goes like this.

The ban he got is effective from yesterday.

The 3 points he got yesterday will be put on his licence from the offence date, so these added to his 3 points he already has, as he is a new driver 6 points in total will put him over the limit and his licence will be revoked.

The DVLA will contact him and inform him his licence has been revoked.
Once he has this letter then he can reapply for a provisional, the lessons, theory and practical test again.

Once he passes, the points will still be active on his renewed licence, and he will as Chris states have to inform his insurance company 'if anyone will take him' that he was banned, has 6 points and had to reapply for his licence.

Soooooooooo having a lead foot will affect him big style for the next 5 yrs.

Chris
14-01-2011, 11:19
In which case, the system is working exactly as it was intended. Too many young people like him have killed themselves, and others, due to youthful recklessness and inexperience.

Better that he learn from this experience, than from the experience of attending someone's funeral (perhaps even his own).