PDA

View Full Version : Visa Debit

gazzae
12-01-2011, 13:04
Hi,

I've a Visa Debit card, are there any limits on the amount that can be spent on a single transaction assuming the monies are available in the bank account?

Thanks

Damien
12-01-2011, 13:13
I think it depends on your bank. There is no card limit as far as I know but suspicious transactions may be flagged by the bank.

joglynne
12-01-2011, 13:23
I'm with NatWest and I have never had any amount refused and even bought a new car using mine but if you do use the card for a larger amount than fits your normal spending pattern, even if you have the funds to cover the withdrawal, the shop/whatever may be asked to phone so that it can be verified that you are the legal card holder. It can be a pain but I would rather they did this than just allow large sums to be taken from my account unchallenged.

haydnwalker
12-01-2011, 13:25
My Visa Debit (with Halifax) has been used for transactions running into the couple of thousand, but I did advise the bank that would be happening (via telephone) to stop them halting the transaction as suspicious.

Best always to check with the bank before using it to debit large amounts imho.

The limits only come into force when withdrawing cash from an ATM (which is about £600/day)

gazzae
12-01-2011, 13:29
Thanks All. It is for buying a car. I shall inform the bank once I get the funds into my account.

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-01-2011, 13:32
I spent 19 grand on a visa debit once in a single transaction and the transaction went trhough without having to contact the bank. I hadnt even told them it was going to happen.

Personally i thought it would fail as the amount in the account was the exact amount of the transaction.

haydnwalker
12-01-2011, 13:33
Be careful that the car dealer doesn't try to charge you 3% on top of the purchase price for using a credit/debit card, as my dealer tried that on my last car so I ended up using cash instead!

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-01-2011, 13:35
Be careful that the car dealer doesn't try to charge you 3% on top of the purchase price for using a credit/debit card, as my dealer tried that on my last car so I ended up using cash instead!

They should do that if its a debit card

Hom3r
12-01-2011, 14:01
I have a HSBC Visa, and several years ago I bought a car and paid the remain £8,800 balance on it, I did before hand tell the back.

This is the best option as it stops any problems.

haydnwalker
12-01-2011, 14:01
They should do that if its a debit card

I'm not saying they "shouldn't" do it. Sorry my previous post wasn't clear. In my case they were reluctant to advise me of this.

What I meant is - if you have the correct amount for the car in the bank, add a bit extra in for this charge :)

Julian
12-01-2011, 17:40
I think W & C meant to say shouldn't.

There should be absolutely no charge for accepting a debit card in those circumstances.

Typically a business should pay around 10-15p for a debit card transaction - I pay 10.25p.

Credit cards are charged to the retailer as a percentage of the transaction value. Hence charges are invariably applied for taking them by some companies. Typical cost to retailer 1-3% depending on card type.

I pay 1.25% for Visa & Mastercard but 2.25% for Amex.

candy1567
12-01-2011, 18:02
am with barclays and although the transaction for a few grand went through

bout 4 hours later i got a call on my mobile from barclays fraud dept asking if i had made the transaction, it was an automated call and i just pressed 1 for yes, if u say no the transfer u to a real person!!!!

juliex

Peter_
12-01-2011, 19:51
Hi,

I've a Visa Debit card, are there any limits on the amount that can be spent on a single transaction assuming the monies are available in the bank account?

Thanks
All I did when I used mine was to call the bank first to let them know what i was going to do and when I was making the card payment I again spoke to the bank again over the phone, a painless way to purchase a large item.;)

SnoopZ
12-01-2011, 20:17
I've put £10,000 on my visa/debit card without a problem although when the card was scanned they had to phone the bank(natwest), which went through without issue.