PDA

View Full Version : Urgent issue! Reheating roast potatoes?

AdamD
04-01-2011, 01:59
Heh ok, not really urgent, but I'm planning on taking pre cooked Finest beef sirlion and pre cooked roast potatoes round my mums on Friday, as her oven's fan doesn't work, so it takes AGES to cook anything.

Can anyone recommend the best way to cook and later, reheat, the above two foods?

The joint will be a 1kg tesco finest sirlion joint, the potatoes will be the usual frozen aunt bessie roasts.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Graham M
04-01-2011, 03:03
IMO Best bet would be to separate the portions out onto serving plates (IE carve the meat and put it on plates with potatoes and pre-cooked veg) and nuke each plate in turn til it's HOT.

tosh mate
04-01-2011, 03:07
IMO Best bet would be to separate the portions out onto serving plates (IE carve the meat and put it on plates with potatoes and pre-cooked veg) and nuke each plate in turn til it's HOT.

Good Idea Graham

Kymmy
04-01-2011, 10:23
Brush with a bit of oil (will stop them drying out) and finish the roasties off under a grill

AdamD
04-01-2011, 10:33
Hmm not thought of the grill, thanks Kymmy (and Graham)

I never use the microwave to reheat meat or potatoes, it just doesn't taste right.

Kymmy
04-01-2011, 11:04
If using the grill (or even a frying pan) cut the spuds in half when cooked for the first time so they heat through faster.. Or nuke (microwave) and then lightly fry/grill to crisp them back up

Tinky
04-01-2011, 11:12
Put the spuds in the chip pan. Cut the meat into slices, make a gravy and when spuds ready, put meat into gravy for a few seconds just to warm through.

Taf
04-01-2011, 14:23
Nuked sirloin will turn to a chewy mess. Roasties may well go soggy in a microwave.

Cook the meat in the hottest possible oven then take it out, wrap in tinfoil and newspaper, and it'll relax and become more tender over the next half hour or so... and stay hot enough.

You could do the same with the roasties perhaps?

AdamD
04-01-2011, 14:33
For the meat, I plan on cooking it like normal, leaving it to cool for half an hour, then slicing it into relatively thick slices, then wrapping it up in silverfoil and putting in the fridge.

To reheat, I'll put it in a casserole dish, pour on some prepared gravy and reheat in the oven.

I forgot I did this before with another sirlion joint and it came out really well.

It's the potatoes I'm a bit concerned about, hehe

Taf
04-01-2011, 17:09
Doesn't Aunt Bessie do frozen ones?

Zing
04-01-2011, 17:13
how is it urgent if its not till Friday?

AdamD
04-01-2011, 17:24
Did you read the first post? I did say

"Heh ok, not really urgent"

I was joking about it being urgent.

Zing
04-01-2011, 17:24
didnt actually sorry me bad lol

SMG
04-01-2011, 21:37
Heh ok, not really urgent, but I'm planning on taking pre cooked Finest beef sirlion and pre cooked roast potatoes round my mums on Friday, as her oven's fan doesn't work, so it takes AGES to cook anything.

If her oven is anything like ours, the oven will never get hot enough to cook anything properly. On some fan ovens, the heating element is a round shape & surrounds the fan, the fan blows the heat around the oven, because the oven thermostat is located only inches away, when the fan stops, the thermostat gets very hot & cuts the element out at 220 degrees, but the oven itself only reaches about 95 degrees.

I stripped ours & found a broken wire on the fan terminal, a quick re solder & its working properly again.

superbiatch
04-01-2011, 22:15
For the meat, I plan on cooking it like normal, leaving it to cool for half an hour, then slicing it into relatively thick slices, then wrapping it up in silverfoil and putting in the fridge.

Meat should never be put in the fridge whilst there is any warmth still in it as far as I know so leave on the side covered ;)

Also, i love cold roasties - why warm them up?! I know, i'm a weirdo! :D

Zing
04-01-2011, 22:20
I would leave the meat whole. Slice it when you want it into a ovenproof bowl cover with a thin gravy or source dependant on what you want cover the dish with foil and heat up while the roasties cook

Tuftus
04-01-2011, 22:25
My tuppence...

Slice the meat, then microwave under clingfilm with gravy to stop it drying out. The all important roasters, deep fry em, they will warm through and crisp up again.

Simples.

(Oh, how I hate that phrase)

AdamD
05-01-2011, 15:10
Thankfully she's bought a new oven, so I don't have to worry about it, yay!
hehe
Thanks everyone for the feedback.