PDA

View Full Version : Twenty-First Century Heroes

Flyboy
02-01-2011, 14:34
I was reminded today, of Helen Skelton's and Eddie Izzard's tremendous efforts in last year's Sport Relief campaign. Their actions differed greatly from the public's perception and from the normal expectations of such people, and they deserve some recognition in remembering them for their achievements. Other people of note from the last ten years, for me, include Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry VC, Jane Tomlinson (although diagnosed with terminal cancer she raised millions in charitable donations), Lewis Hamilton and Kirsty Howard, the little girl who was born with a reversed heart and whose ambition was to raise one million pounds (I believe she actually raised considerably more than that).

As the first decade of this new century closes, who would you count as your heroes of the twenty-first century.

Maggy
02-01-2011, 15:07
You forgot David Walliam's Channel swim as well.

Flyboy
02-01-2011, 15:19
Thank you Maggy, it was indeed an epic effort on his part. Every now and then some celebrities surprise us. As much as I detested Jade Goody, she took part in the London Marathon and managed to complete more than three quarters of the course.

Hugh
02-01-2011, 16:10
Bill & Melinda Gates, whose Foundation (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/Pages/foundation-fact-sheet.aspx) has given $23 billion dollars to help others in the last 16 years, and $3 billion in 2009, and whose aim is "to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people’s health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people—especially those with the fewest resources—have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life".

They have used their (time and) money to make a difference, without any fanfare.

alferret
03-01-2011, 15:12
Lewis Hamilton? Hero? Blimey that's shallow, there are far more deserving folk who should\would\could be classed as a hero.

Peter_
03-01-2011, 15:14
Lewis Hamilton? Hero? Blimey that's shallow, there are far more deserving folk who should\would\could be classed as a hero.
No sportsman should ever be considered a hero as a hero does not expect to be paid megabucks.:mad:

TheNorm
03-01-2011, 15:28
No sportsman should ever be considered a hero ...

What about Jess Owens (1936 Berlin Olympics)? Or Oscar Pistorius (the Blade Runner)? Or Walter Payton (used to play for the Chicago Bears) who, in the face of premature death, started several initiatives that have improved the lives of thousands?

Peter_
03-01-2011, 15:38
What about Jess Owens (1936 Berlin Olympics)? Or Oscar Pistorius (the Blade Runner)? Or Walter Payton (used to play for the Chicago Bears) who, in the face of premature death, started several initiatives that have improved the lives of thousands?
You missed out the megabucks part which applies to all the modern day namby pamby fools on stupid wages, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the likes of Jesse Owens who ran in the 1936 Berlin Olympics and winning Gold medals in front of the likes of Hitler.

gazzae
03-01-2011, 15:51
You missed out the megabucks part which applies to all the modern day namby pamby fools on stupid wages, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the likes of Jesse Owens who ran in the 1936 Berlin Olympics and winning Gold medals in front of the likes of Hitler.

Lots of megabucks namby pamby fools do a lot for charity.

On 24 January 2007, Drogba was appointed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as a Goodwill Ambassador. The UNDP were impressed with his previous charity work and believed that his high profile would help raise awareness on African issues.[68] Drogba's charity work continued when, in late 2009, he announced he would be donating the 3 million GBP signing on fee for his endorsement of Pepsi for the construction of a hospital in his hometown of Abidjan. This work was done through Drogba's recently created "Didier Drogba Foundation" and Chelsea announced they too would donate the fee for the deal toward the Foundation's project. Drogba decided on building the hospital after a recent trip to the Ivorian capital's other hospitals, saying "...I decided the Foundation's first project should be to build and fund a hospital giving people basic healthcare and a chance just to stay alive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Drogba#Personal_life

Maggy
03-01-2011, 16:13

He's a rarity though..

Peter_
03-01-2011, 16:24
You had to go back to 2007 to find that though and the vast majority of today's sports people never do anything at all for charity.

TheNorm
03-01-2011, 17:51
...the vast majority of today's sports people never do anything at all for charity.

How do you know?

Some celebrities give money without making a song-and-dance about it. Ricky Tomlinson donated £1m to charity and kept it quiet for two years, until someone else told the press.

Hugh
03-01-2011, 18:00
As Norm has posted, good works often go unreported (sometimes deliberately).

LookToTheStars (http://www.looktothestars.org/)

Peter_
03-01-2011, 18:42
How do you know?

Some celebrities give money without making a song-and-dance about it. Ricky Tomlinson donated £1m to charity and kept it quiet for two years, until someone else told the press.
I am talking about overpaid sportsmen but each time you go off at a tangent.:confused:

Ricky Tomlinson donated his money towards the building of the Ronald Mcdonald house extension at Alder Hey Childrens Hospital in Liverpool and they are contain apartments for families of long term sick children who are being treated at the hospital.

Remember I am talking about the overpaid sports stars of today no one else fits that category not even an actor.

Sirius
03-01-2011, 19:41

A hero to me is someone who puts his or her LIFE on the line to save the life of others knowing they could be killed in the process.

Over paid ballerinas or footballers as some call them are NOT heroes.

This is a hero.

On 1 May 2004, Beharry was driving a Warrior Tracked Armoured Vehicle that had been called to the assistance of a foot patrol caught in a series of ambushes. The Warrior was hit by multiple rocket propelled grenades, causing damage and resulting in the loss of radio communications. The platoon commander, the vehicle’s gunner and a number of other soldiers in the vehicle were injured. Due to damage to his periscope optics, Pte. Beharry was forced to open his hatch to steer his vehicle, exposing his face and head to withering small arms fire. Beharry drove the crippled Warrior through the ambush, taking his own crew and leading five other Warriors to safety. He then extracted his wounded comrades from the vehicle, all the time exposed to further enemy fire. He was cited on this occasion for "valour of the highest order".

While back on duty on 11 June 2004, Beharry was again driving the lead Warrior vehicle of his platoon through Al Amarah when his vehicle was ambushed. A rocket propelled grenade hit the vehicle six inches from Beharry's head and he received serious shrapnel injuries to his face and brain. Other rockets hit the vehicle incapacitating his commander and injuring several of the crew. Despite his life threatening injuries, Beharry retained control of his vehicle and drove it out of the ambush area before losing consciousness. He required brain surgery for his head injuries, and he was still recovering when he was awarded the VC in March 2005.

Here's another one. Do you see a trend here ??

During the night of 11th/12th June 1982, 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment mounted a silent night attack on an enemy battalion position on Mount Longdon, an important objective in the battle for Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. Sergeant McKay was platoon sergeant of 4 Platoon, B Company, which, after the initial objective had been secured, was ordered to clear the Northern side of the long East/West ridge feature, held by the enemy in depth, with strong, mutually-supporting positions. By now the enemy were fully alert, and resisting fiercely. As 4 Platoon's advance continued it came under increasingly heavy fire from a number of well-sited enemy machine gun positions on the ridge, and received casualties. Realising that no further advance was possible the Platoon Commander ordered the Platoon to move from its exposed position to seek shelter among the rocks of the ridge itself. Here it met up with part of 5 Platoon.

The enemy fire was still both heavy and accurate, and the position of the platoons was becoming increasingly hazardous. Taking Sergeant McKay, a Corporal and a few others, and covered by supporting machine gun fire, the Platoon Commander moved forward to reconnoitre the enemy positions but was hit by a bullet in the leg, and command devolved upon Sergeant McKay.

It was clear that instant action was needed if the advance was not to falter and increasing casualties to ensue. Sergeant McKay decided to convert this reconnaissance into an attack in order to eliminate the enemy positions. He was in no doubt of the strength and deployment of the enemy as he undertook this attack. He issued orders, and taking three men with him, broke cover and charged the enemy position.

The assault was met by a hail of fire. The Corporal was seriously wounded, a Private killed and another wounded. Despite these losses Sergeant McKay, with complete disregard for his own safety, continued to charge the enemy position alone. On reaching it he despatched the enemy with grenades, thereby relieving the position of beleaguered 4 and 5 Platoons, who were now able to redeploy with relative safety. Sergeant McKay, however, was killed at the moment of victory, his body falling on the bunker.

Without doubt Sergeant McKay's action retrieved a most dangerous situation and was instrumental in ensuring the success of the attack. His was a coolly calculated act, the dangers of which must have been all too apparent to him beforehand. Undeterred he performed with outstanding selflessness, perseverance and courage.

With a complete disregard for his own safety, he displayed courage and leadership of the highest order, and was an inspiration to all those around him.[1]

A hero is not someone who gives money to someone else or plays a sport for his country and who then earns massive wages for doing it.

Peter_
03-01-2011, 19:50
Ah yes Sirius he is a modern day hero and has the VC to show for it and actually lived to receive it as well.

TheNorm
03-01-2011, 20:11
I am talking about overpaid sportsmen but each time you go off at a tangent.:confused:...

Well, you originally posted:

No sportsman should ever be considered a hero as a hero does not expect to be paid megabucks.:mad:

In addition to the already mentioned Owens, Pistorius, Payton and Drogba, here are a few more:

A Premiership footballer has paid a four-figure sum to charity...

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Charity-is-big-fan-of.3850095.jp

NIALL QUINN, the Sunderland and Republic of Ireland forward, will donate all the money raised in his testimonial match on May 14 - at least £1 million - to charity...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2429199/Charity-to-benefit-from-Quinns-testimonial.html

...scores of children have seen their lives transformed beyond all measure by the hundreds of thousands of pounds the Welshman keeps pouring into his self‑founded Freetown football foundation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/19/david-beckham-craig-bellamy

Sirius
03-01-2011, 20:44

In addition to the already mentioned Owens, Pistorius, Payton and Drogba, here are a few more:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Charity-is-big-fan-of.3850095.jp

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2429199/Charity-to-benefit-from-Quinns-testimonial.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/19/david-beckham-craig-bellamy

Thats not heroic that's just being generous. Wonder if Drogba would put his life on the line to save the life of another. It really does sicken me that some will call someone a hero because he or she has given away some money :rolleyes:

Peter_
03-01-2011, 20:47

You are still missing the point that no sportstar should be classed as a hero as most are overpaid egotists who think only of themselves.

We do have a few that will go out of their way to help others less fortunate but that does not truly make them a hero but rather an exceptional person who can help in exceptional ways.

I dislike Beckham as all I see is an egotiscal person with an agenda to get a knighthood which he had pinned all his hopes of receiving one on our failed World cup fiasco, I for one was very happy when I saw his face as you could see the real reason for his sadness.

TheNorm
04-01-2011, 07:41
.... It really does sicken me that some will call someone a hero because he or she has given away some money :rolleyes:

So, does this sicken you?

RAVENSHEAD fundraiser Lynn White is presented with the Derry Award for Heroism ....
In spite of losing the use of her left arm and partial movement in her leg in a car accident, Lynn set out in July 2005 to swim 34,117 metres — more than 21 miles —the distance from Dover to Calais....

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/brave_fundraiser_s_heroism_accolade_1_690967

Peter_
04-01-2011, 07:43
So, does this sicken you?

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/brave_fundraiser_s_heroism_accolade_1_690967
She raised funds which is brilliant.

Damien
04-01-2011, 07:58
You are still missing the point that no sportstar should be classed as a hero as most are overpaid egotists who think only of themselves.

We do have a few that will go out of their way to help others less fortunate but that does not truly make them a hero but rather an exceptional person who can help in exceptional ways.

I dislike Beckham as all I see is an egotiscal person with an agenda to get a knighthood which he had pinned all his hopes of receiving one on our failed World cup fiasco, I for one was very happy when I saw his face as you could see the real reason for his sadness.

So someones job excludes them from the credit they would get had they been an actor? So what if they are sportsmen, doesn't make them bad people or even egotistical as you seem to be calling all of them!

Peter_
04-01-2011, 08:05
So someones job excludes them from the credit they would get had they been an actor? So what if they are sportsmen, doesn't make them bad people or even egotistical as you seem to be calling all of them!
None of these people can be classed as heroes and many of our sportsmen and women have egos bigger than Australia but we do have a few that will give their time and money freely which makes them exceptional people not heroes.

TheDaddy
04-01-2011, 08:47
Thats not heroic that's just being generous. Wonder if Drogba would put his life on the line to save the life of another. It really does sicken me that some will call someone a hero because he or she has given away some money :rolleyes:

Well he did play a pivitol role in ending a 5 year civil war

After Côte d'Ivoire qualified for the 2006 World Cup, Drogba made a desperate plea to the combatants, asking them to lay down their arms, a plea which was answered with a cease fire after 5 years of civil war. Drogba later helped move an African Cup of Nations qualifier to the rebel stronghold of Bouake; a move that helped confirm the peace process. His involvement in the peace process lead to Drogba being named as one of the world's 100 most influential people by Time magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drogba#Personal_life

I'd say achieving some thing as special as that is pretty heroic.

Damien
04-01-2011, 08:55
I think the definition of putting their 'life on the line' is a pretty narrow definition of hero.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 ----------

None of these people can be classed as heroes and many of our sportsmen and women have egos bigger than Australia but we do have a few that will give their time and money freely which makes them exceptional people not heroes.

But you went into a rather bizarre rant about them being overpaid and egotistical as if they are all the same and thus excluded from consideration because it.

Peter_
04-01-2011, 09:04
But you went into a rather bizarre rant about them being overpaid and egotistical as if they are all the same and thus excluded from consideration because it.
Not a rant as most are egotistical and self centred.

Flyboy
04-01-2011, 09:16
There are some miserable beggars in this world. I started this thread as a light-hearted way to remind us of the wonders of human nature and the achievements of some people, who anyone might consider to be noteworthy. People's definition of what it means to be a hero, is largely irrelevant, what is significant is our own feelings toward the accomplishments of individuals, who have contributed something to the world. It doesn't matter if they have given millions to charity, run into burning buildings or given speeches about how knit a jumper, what is important is how any one person feels their lives have been affected by them.

Hugh
04-01-2011, 09:18
What fb said....:clap::clap:

Maggy
04-01-2011, 09:31
I'm with Hugh on this.

Not every thread has to be an in depth discussion you know. IT is possible just to have some fun.

TheDaddy
13-01-2011, 06:13
This lads my hero

A TEENAGER killed in the Toowoomba flood has been hailed a hero after he told a Good Samaritan to save his younger brother first, minutes before he and his mother were swept away.

Jordan Rice, brother Blake and mother Donna were forced to climb on the roof of their car after they were caught in the flood about 2pm on Monday.

The tragic rescue saw a good Samaritan truck driver save Blake, while Donna tried to grab Jordan, 13, after he became separated from the tree the pair was clinging to.

Ms Rice's devastated partner of about 30 years and father to her four children, John Tyson, said Jordan couldn't swim and was terrified of water.

"(The truck driver) went to grab Jordan first, who said, 'Save me brother'. I can only imagine the fear coursing through his body,'' Mr Tyson, 46, said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/teenager-swept-away-after-saving-his-brother-from-toowoomba-floods/story-fn7kabp3-1225986169850

Flyboy
13-01-2011, 13:26
I remember a story about a boy who rescued his family from a car that had fallen into a canal or river. The boy went back more than once to save his brother or sister. I will try to find the link somewhere.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Here it is:

Cameron Weir-Child of Courage (http://www.prideofbritain.com/contentpages/winners/2005/cameron-weir.aspx)

Taking a deep breath, the brave youngster risked his own life to return to the car and rescue his seven-year-old brother Mac and 10-year-old sister Rosie, who has severe mental and physical disabilities, and requires round-the-clock care.

"I went into autopilot and knew I had to get them out," says Cameron. "I was scared, but it was all happening too fast and I didn't really think about what I was doing."

Once Mac was free, Cameron's mum Beryl swam him to the bank while Cameron returned for Rosie whom he knew couldn't swim.
The cold water was cloudy and Rosie was fully submerged, so Cameron had to feel for her seatbelt. He managed to undo it but had to return to the car for a third time to pull her out.

"When I got to the bank and looked back," says mum Beryl, "I thought Cameron and Rosie had gone. Then he came up out of the water like a dolphin and as he twisted over on his back I could see he had Rosie on his chest and I was shouting across the canal, 'I'm so proud of you!'"

Sirius
13-01-2011, 17:10
This lads my hero

A TEENAGER killed in the Toowoomba flood has been hailed a hero after he told a Good Samaritan to save his younger brother first, minutes before he and his mother were swept away.

Jordan Rice, brother Blake and mother Donna were forced to climb on the roof of their car after they were caught in the flood about 2pm on Monday.

The tragic rescue saw a good Samaritan truck driver save Blake, while Donna tried to grab Jordan, 13, after he became separated from the tree the pair was clinging to.

Ms Rice's devastated partner of about 30 years and father to her four children, John Tyson, said Jordan couldn't swim and was terrified of water.

"(The truck driver) went to grab Jordan first, who said, 'Save me brother'. I can only imagine the fear coursing through his body,'' Mr Tyson, 46, said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/teenager-swept-away-after-saving-his-brother-from-toowoomba-floods/story-fn7kabp3-1225986169850

Yep a real hero :tu:

budwieser
13-01-2011, 22:16
I remember a story about a boy who rescued his family from a car that had fallen into a canal or river. The boy went back more than once to save his brother or sister. I will try to find the link somewhere.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Here it is:

Cameron Weir-Child of Courage (http://www.prideofbritain.com/contentpages/winners/2005/cameron-weir.aspx)

Another Real Hero. :):tu: