PDA

View Full Version : Curtain Poles

LSainsbury
01-01-2011, 22:45
Hi,

Tomorrow I need to put up some curtain poles.

The window has a wooden batten above it to hang poles and track from.

however - the brackets for the pole are fairly wide and both screws will bite into the batten with about 2mm / 3mm above and below the screws - I'm fairly sure this will split the wooden batten.

Any other ways to put up the pole? I've trying to avoid going above / below the batten and into the lintel if possible.

Cobbydaler
01-01-2011, 22:54
Put a bigger batten up using the same holes in the wall to attach it?

LSainsbury
01-01-2011, 22:55
Put a bigger batten up using the same holes in the wall to attach it?

I'm not sure if it's nailed, screwed or glued up to be honest - can't see any screw or nail heads on it....

Bulky
01-01-2011, 22:56
Pre drill holes for screws the thickness of the shank of the screw so all that bites into the wood is the thread .

Peter_
01-01-2011, 22:56
Pre drill the screw holes.

So good it was posted twice.

Now pull yourself together.

alferret
01-01-2011, 22:57
Put a wider batten on top of the existing batten, job done.

LSainsbury
01-01-2011, 22:58
Pre-drilling - ok but it may be very close - do I need to use plugs as well?

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Put a wider batten on top of the existing batten, job done.

I did have that idea as well - but how to secure it - screw to the lintel?

martyh
01-01-2011, 22:58
Hi,

Tomorrow I need to put up some curtain poles.

The window has a wooden batten above it to hang poles and track from.

however - the brackets for the pole are fairly wide and both screws will bite into the batten with about 2mm / 3mm above and below the screws - I'm fairly sure this will split the wooden batten.

Any other ways to put up the pole? I've trying to avoid going above / below the batten and into the lintel if possible.

what kind of bracket are they ,if they are metal you could drill new holes ,can they be turned

Bulky
01-01-2011, 22:59
How thick os the batten ? , how long are the screws ?, what's the batten made of , softwood , hardwood ?

martyh
01-01-2011, 23:01
Pre-drilling - ok but it may be very close - do I need to use plugs as well?

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

I did have that idea as well - but how to secure it - screw to the lintel?

you could just get another 2x1 batten placed on top of the existing one flat to the wall and and fix that either through the existing batten or into the wall so that efectively you are doubling the width of the batten

LSainsbury
01-01-2011, 23:04
what kind of bracket are they ,if they are metal you could drill new holes ,can they be turned

The brackets are wooden - very similar to these:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/01/102.jpg

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

How thick os the batten ? , how long are the screws ?, what's the batten made of , softwood , hardwood ?

Batten is about 10mm / 12mm thick. Screws are about 0mm / 30mm when inserted into the bracket - so need to go deeper then the batten but screws can be replaceed with smaller providing they hold the pole / curtains.

Not sure what the batten is made of.

martyh
01-01-2011, 23:05
The brackets are wooden - very similar to these:

http://www.sirsfabric.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/WoodCurtainPoleSetCherry4L.jpg

looking at that photo they are fixed through the bracket there is no seperate metal plate ? so would suggest using a secong batten on top of the existing

LSainsbury
01-01-2011, 23:07
looking at that photo they are fixed through the bracket there is no seperate metal plate ? so would suggest using a secong batten on top of the existing

Yes correct - the holes in the wooden brackets are pre-drilled to accept the screws.

Second batten may be the way to go - I'll measure it correctly tomorrow - they may just go up on the single batten yet - just getting some ideas just in case!

Cheers for the advice all!

Bulky
01-01-2011, 23:39
Agree with martyh :)

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

If you do decide just to use the single batten , drill strait through the batten and use wall plugs with longer screws so the fixing is in the wall not the batten.

Paul K
01-01-2011, 23:48
You will have to use a wider batten I expect, those brackets have fixed holes so if they are missing the existing batten you have little choice. The other type as alluded to have a metal back plate that the brackets then go onto via a screw thread and would have been a pre-drill job as they have holes that you can adjust where you put the screws.

raging bull
02-01-2011, 06:27
I had the same problem recently with the identical product.
What I did was reposition the pole support onto the wood batten to locate the lower screws, then I cut a piece of pole to the thickness of batten (pole shortened as to long).
Drilled a clear hole through new spacer then with support mark off new hole to be drilled into wall.
Result no split wood and fixture strong.

Taf
02-01-2011, 12:41
I removed all the battens in the house and fit all curtain rails directly to the wall. AFAIC it looks cleaner and tidier, plus it gets the curtains a little closer to the wall/window reducing gaps for heat loss.

LSainsbury
02-01-2011, 21:30
Well in the end we changed the poles for track which was much easier to put up - 5 screws for the clips and track was up!

Peter_
02-01-2011, 22:23
Well in the end we changed the poles for track which was much easier to put up - 5 screws for the clips and track was up!
It will probably look better and the curtains will close easier as well.