PDA

View Full Version : RF Modulators/Coaxial convertors

Mazoo
31-12-2010, 14:39
Hi

Recently got a new Cisco 4585DVB box fitted when the previous Virgin box gave up. Problem now is that we can no longer get any of our other TV's to receive because they are fed by coaxial cables from a four way arial booster unit. This new box has an HMDI output that goes straight into the back of the main TV and appears to have no means of connecting into the arial booster.
Has anyone overcame this problem on this particular box?
We do not require additional boxes for the other TV's as suggested by Virgin, all we are looking for is the same channel to be able to be displayed on one or more of the other sets.
I have seen on the net things called RF Modulators and HMDI over coaxial convertors. Not sure if this is what I require for this box and where I should connect it into it?
Can anyone help?

nodrogd
31-12-2010, 17:55
You will need an RF Mod fed from the Scart connector on the Cisco box. If you need to use the Scart to feed a DVD recorder as well as the mod, the one available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-ILS102-RF-Digital-Modulator/dp/B000NVUAN8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293817714&sr=8-2) has a Scart loopthrough connection.

Mazoo
01-01-2011, 19:39
Thanks for this advice. Ill let the form know when i've successfully got the system working.

weesteev
06-01-2011, 15:29
Will that work if the Cisco box is hooked up by HDMI though? Shouldnt be a problem if its connected by scart.

Mazoo
06-01-2011, 16:03
The modulator arrived today from the suggested site. Fitted it in in about 10 minutes. Tuned it in in about the same time (the instructions actually worked). Sound and vision restored to all rooms now through my existing cabling.
Thanks for the sound advice and minimal cost to achieve it.

cranno
09-01-2011, 10:38
I have exactly the same problem where Virgin replaced my old Samsung STB with the new Cisco V+ box. I worked out that I needed an RF modulator but it doesn't seem to work, no matter which channel I tune it in to. This is the bit I don't fully understand.

I am feeding a Labgear HDU681 distribution amplifier in the loft, to which I have also connected the TV & DAB aerials. The whole bungalow is 'networked' in coax & I just wanted to watch the Ashes in bed!! Do I need to re-tune each of the remote TV's in order to pick up the signal? They were working fine with the old box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spiderplant
09-01-2011, 10:52
Do you know which RF channel the Samsung box was set to? (Your TVs may tell you). If so, set the modulator to the same channel and that should do. You might still need to do fine tuning on the TVs to get the best picture.

If you don't know the channel, you will have to choose a channel that doesn't clash with any of your local Freeview frequencies, then retune all TVs.

But before you do that, it may be worth connecting a TV direct to the modulator just to check it is working ok.

ps. Welcome to the forum!