PDA

View Full Version : Prepared meals are such a rip off.

AdamD
28-12-2010, 21:27
I know, I'm stating the obvious here, heh, but don't you find nearly every pre prepared meal, is a complete rip off?

I've been trying out different microwave or quick cook items recently and today I decided to try...

Heinz Taste Of Home Pork And Stuffing Soup

Sounds delicious doesn't it? mmmmm
hehe

I've found 3, 5cm bits of meat and the rest is vegetables and juice.

I bought a couple of steak pies earlier in the week, there was more juice and pastry than anything, with very little in the way of meat.

Are we really that tolerant of such poor quality foods that we just put up with it?

Peter_
28-12-2010, 21:30
Try Tesco's 5 for £4 frozen meals they are not bad, they have shepherds pie, cottage pie, fish pie and a few others and are perfect for taking to work to nuke in the microwave.

AdamD
28-12-2010, 21:36
Just finished the heinz pork/stuffing one (had one yesterday, one today)

Decided to spice it up a bit, I added a chicken stock, small amount of bisto pork gravy and a tea spoon of mint sauce

Cooked it in a non stick frying pan, as oppposed to nuking it.

Was much better, heh

gazfan
28-12-2010, 21:51
This is the ingredients declaration for the soup

Water, Carrots (19%), Potatoes (18%, contain Preservative - Sulphites), Onions, Pork (8%), Pork Stuffing Balls (6%, Pork (31%), Water, Rusk (contains Wheat), Onion, Pork Fat, Potato Starch, Salt, Dextrose, Sage, Spices, Pork Rind), Peas, Modified Cornflour, Cream, Salt, Herb, Black Pepper

- it clearly says that there is only 8% pork & 6% stuffing of which less than a third is pork - a grand total of 10% 'meat'

<edit> this info is more up to date regarding meat pies

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/councilservices/business/trading/tsb/pages/Item.aspx?itemId=122610&classification=eng;busi;adv;fd

That isn't to disagree with the OP, but to point out that information regarding the composition of the product is usually in the ingredients list - if anyone feels their purchase doesn't match the declaration they should complain to the manufacturer.

Caff
28-12-2010, 22:29
This is the ingredients declaration for the soup

Water, Carrots (19%), Potatoes (18%, contain Preservative - Sulphites), Onions, Pork (8%), Pork Stuffing Balls (6%, Pork (31%), Water, Rusk (contains Wheat), Onion, Pork Fat, Potato Starch, Salt, Dextrose, Sage, Spices, Pork Rind), Peas, Modified Cornflour, Cream, Salt, Herb, Black Pepper

- it clearly says that there is only 8% pork & 6% stuffing of which less than a third is pork - a grand total of 10% 'meat'

A meat pie should have a minimum 'meat content', when cooked, of 19% - however another ingredient in the description lowers this, so a 'steak & onion' pie is only required to have 12.5% meat.

http://www.salford.gov.uk/meat-pies-butchers.htm

<edit> this info is more up to date

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/councilservices/business/trading/tsb/pages/Item.aspx?itemId=122610&classification=eng;busi;adv;fd

That isn't to disagree with the OP, but to point out that information regarding the composition of the product is usually in the ingredients list - if anyone feels their purchase doesn't match the declaration they should complain to the manufacturer.
:tu:
...and with your money - plain don't buy it.
Start from scratch or settle for the product. Homemade soup is so easy once you get started and you'll know exactly what goes into it :)

Hom3r
28-12-2010, 22:47
I always get on Thursdays Tesco "Cheese & Bacon Potato Skins", they are delicious.

gazfan
28-12-2010, 22:55
:tu:
...and with your money - plain don't buy it.
Start from scratch or settle for the product. Homemade soup is so easy once you get started and you'll know exactly what goes into it :)

I couldn't agree more - and I work for a company which purchases prepared meals for sale in independent retail stores...

In our company we put an immense amount of effort into making sure the description of the product & the corresponding ingredients list is legal & truthful.

- but what we don't pretend is that the products we market in this category are anything other than 'convenience' foods - so "Start from scratch or settle for the product" sums it up, for me :)

AdamD
29-12-2010, 00:03
Hmm, I shall have to seek out pre made meals which DO have a decent content of meat. :P

gazfan
29-12-2010, 00:15
Hmm, I shall have to seek out pre made meals which DO have a decent content of meat. :P

you can go 'half way' - e.g. for meat pies buy a small pie dish & fill with a can of stewing steak & top with ready made puff pastry - 25 minutes in the oven & serve with veg of your choice :)

Kymmy
29-12-2010, 09:30
Only ones I buy instead of making is Hollands Steak and Kidney puddings.. Absolutely murder to get down south though but finally tracked them down to icelands..

Mr_love_monkey
29-12-2010, 09:35
but finally tracked them down to icelands..

ah! - so, that's why my mum goes there....

Taf
29-12-2010, 11:03
I cook from scratch almost always.

Osem
29-12-2010, 11:06
ah! - so, that's why my mum goes there....

So it's not because she's Kerry Katona and trying to get her job back then?... :D

Graham M
29-12-2010, 11:16
I cook from scratch almost always.

I would if it wasn't just me I'd be cooking for

Mr_love_monkey
29-12-2010, 11:33
So it's not because she's Kerry Katona and trying to get her job back then?... :D

If it was I'd have to talk to my psychiatrist about some very confusing thoughts back when she was younger and not such a skank. (KK that is, not my mum :) )

Stuart
29-12-2010, 11:48
Only ones I buy instead of making is Hollands Steak and Kidney puddings.. Absolutely murder to get down south though but finally tracked them down to icelands..

Fairly certain I've seen them in my local Sainsburys. Not sure though..

Taf
29-12-2010, 13:02
I would if it wasn't just me I'd be cooking for

I cook for 4 of us, two of whom are diabetic so have to stick to a fairly rigid carbs intake regimen. It can sound daunting to some of the modern generation, but your parents, grandparents and billions of other did it and probably still do.

Convenience foods are expensive, contain stuff you would probably never eat if you knew what it was, and can take as much time to prepare as a home-prepped meal.

You don't have to suddenly do it all yourself, try to master one meal, then move onto a second then a third, etc.

budwieser
29-12-2010, 20:13
if it was i'd have to talk to my psychiatrist about some very confusing thoughts back when she was younger and not such a skank. (kk that is, not my mum :) )

:d pmsl :d

Maggy
29-12-2010, 20:33
Fed up with cooking from scratch because it's not appreciated..

Keep getting was sokay or so so.:mad:

Mal
29-12-2010, 20:51
Ready made meals serve a purpose though, like for work or you just can't be bothered to cook from scratch after coming in from work etc...

Caff
30-12-2010, 02:48
Fed up with cooking from scratch because it's not appreciated..

Keep getting was sokay or so so.:mad:

Kids huh??? :D
When I can control my kids' eating I'll make sure it does them every bit of good that it can while I still can.
I hope they take it all on board and pass it on.

Kids... difficult beings at times :D
"Matthew - put some green and red stuff on that plate that you've just loaded with protein - it's called 'salad' " :D

Mr_love_monkey
30-12-2010, 08:53
Kids... difficult beings at times :D
"Matthew - put some green and red stuff on that plate that you've just loaded with protein - it's called 'salad' " :D
why spoil a nice meal by putting salad with it? :)

Hugh
30-12-2010, 09:09
Ready made meals serve a purpose though, like for work or you just can't be bothered to cook from scratch after coming in from work etc...
Absolutely - like most things, it's all about being proportionate.

It's easy to make quick meals like spag bog, risotto, grill-up of bacon/sausage/eggs, shepherds pie, even stuff like chicken breast wrapped in parma ham with new potatoes and veg only takes 20 minutes, but sometimes the CBA factor takes over.;)

LondonRoad
30-12-2010, 10:23
Things like spag bol, chilli, stews, casseroles can be made in bulk and then frozen into smaller portions.

It's as easy to cook enough chilli for 8 as it is for 2. ;) You can buy cheap containers suitable for freezing in most pound stores.

Caff
31-12-2010, 04:24
why spoil a nice meal by putting salad with it? :)

Hey! - I'm his mum - it's my job :) :D