PDA

View Full Version : US Timeline Shameless US

Zing
28-12-2010, 01:04
coming January I say sacrilege seeing as it appears to be a direct copy of series one you decide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nAnpNouEM&feature=player_embedded

cimt
28-12-2010, 01:07
Showtime has a good record when it comes to their shows. Also, it's a subscription channel so it can be a lot more adult. It looks like it's going to be good.

Zing
28-12-2010, 01:09
I will give it a go but it looks far to close to me and I love Shameless and our Shameless starts around the same time

punky
28-12-2010, 12:59
Apart from the names it doesn't look similar.

Its American-scripted with American-humour, American-cast, American-acted, American-directed... Taking the concept of a dysfunctional family with an alcoholic father isn't new ;)

I'd just watch it with no preconceived ideas and see if I like it or not. William H Macy is a good actor so could be good.

Zing
28-12-2010, 13:08
Fiona having sex with steve in the kitchen? steve sending a washing machine with flowers inside, The bj under the table? the dad finding her under the table. Ian and the Muslim bloke being gay together. Debbie on the fiddle,even the coppers bringing Frank home drunk

Think you need to watch S1 E1 again Punky cuz the whole lot of whats in that trailer is in that episode

iFrankie
28-12-2010, 20:10
Love Shameless, ill try watching this :D

Hiroki
20-01-2011, 18:25
Anybody watched this yet?

I thought i'd hate it since the original was soo **** poor but nope it was quite enjoyable tbh and the only things I disliked was the use of the original names and the occasional English slang slipping in.

Hope it starts to differ from the original story lines during the series though

Dave9946
28-01-2011, 16:49
You'd have thought America would have learnt that with very few exceptions they never seem to get it right at doing there own versions of British drama shows that turn out even near as well as expected. More so in the modern tv world.

Did anyone on here ever ask how well the Prisoner did in America?. Hmm, would have been far better to let it be a propper co-production with propper British input. The result in that case would have been a decent well received re-make. But yet again the networks & producers thought they knew better.

This will be no different. And to market Shameless US as an original drama is an insult to every American and British viewer who knows of and watched the original version. No more original than the US version of The Office.

Hiroki
28-01-2011, 19:58
Shameless US isn't bad, ok the storyline follows the English one so far but they need a starting point before it goes it's own direction. The acting is much better than the English one and since it's set in America it's less cringworthy than the English one and the Frank character is much more realistic and relateable imo.

That's just based on the first 3 episodes though it could go downhill quite quickly after this haha

The US version of The Office is completely different from the UK one (after the first episodes or so) and is actually funny unlike the English one.

Dave9946
29-01-2011, 09:33
Shameless US isn't bad, ok the storyline follows the English one so far but they need a starting point before it goes it's own direction. The acting is much better than the English one and since it's set in America it's less cringworthy than the English one and the Frank character is much more realistic and relateable imo.

That's just based on the first 3 episodes though it could go downhill quite quickly after this haha

The US version of The Office is completely different from the UK one (after the first episodes or so) and is actually funny unlike the English one.

Well it's a like for like from any countries perspective. Though out of interest are you American yourself by any chance?. As your clear preference for American versions of British shows that in your opinion are crap compared to the copied American versions seems to be difficult for me to grasp?.

Anyways, my point is that the Amercian version of Shameless will probably only be well received (or so the network and producers hope lol) by Americans as they are probably better placed to understand it from there actors performances and portrayal etc. If it gets aired here in the UK I'll bet it will be slated by the vast majority of British viewers who will say it's total crap compared to the original.

Though wander if Channel 4 will have placed restrictions on who might be able to screen the US version here?. Not heard anything about Sky Atlantic screening it and thats the obvious choice (unless I've missed the info). So dont think it will be on a major sky channel in that case.

admars
29-01-2011, 11:17
I'm sure I read somewhere More 4 will be showing US Shameless soonish.

maybe they're assuming people may have forgotten the early episodes, or those that haven't watched UK Shameless from the beginning will like to see early characters who have come and gone?

Missus and I are big fans or UK Shamess, so we'll probably give the US version a go. It could be like the Office, where to start off with it's a direct remake but as it gets going it gets new stories and characters, perhaps in some ways it would have to.

With the US office, we watched the first couple and then didn't bother as we remembered the UK ones too well, but since then we've caught a couple of the US episodes which aren't remakes and really enjoyed them.

cimt
29-01-2011, 11:40
I remember reading that it's in the 5th episode that it starts to deviate from the UK series.

admars
29-01-2011, 14:15
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/27/more4-shameless-usa

More 4 acquired Shameless USA from Warner Bros International Television Distribution.

Shameless USA will air on More 4 in the spring.

Dave9946
29-01-2011, 16:37
Well I'll give it a chance as it's only fair and I'll try to to judge it to much before I see it. But past experience means it will only be a shadow of the original that very few in the UK will prefer over the original if at all.

But It's clearly made and aimed at an American audience as I'll bet they have took everything they liked about the original and changed everything else to what they hope will work. Fair do's good luck to them and I may even end up liking it when I get about to watching it.

Dave9946
30-01-2011, 19:52
Managed to watch this today. If it really was an original series then it would be a pretty decent series. But as a copy it's just not bad in my opinion. Still, will keep an eye on it to see how it pans out.

Hiroki
01-02-2011, 15:18
Well it's a like for like from any countries perspective. Though out of interest are you American yourself by any chance?. As your clear preference for American versions of British shows that in your opinion are crap compared to the copied American versions seems to be difficult for me to grasp?.
I'm British but lived in America for a good while but besides that I haven't enjoyed one of our programs for the last 10-15 years, everything over here seems to forced and annoying which is why I tend to enjoy remakes.

Still enjoying the remake and erm also quite enjoying the remake of Skins :dozey: