PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Indian Hill Railways BBC

Maggy
28-12-2010, 00:27
This little series of documentaries shown on BBC2/BBC4 has been a little gem in amongst the Christmas TV tat.A real pleasure to watch and I highly recommend them.There are only three programmes as far as I'm aware..I wish there were more.

Available through iPlayer if anyone is interested.

Cobbydaler
28-12-2010, 00:36
Link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=indian%20hill

Kymmy
28-12-2010, 08:53
They're actually repeats.. But as you say really enjoyable.. FYI there's three episodes in this series but there are a few other indian railway programs including two on the history of the indian railway infrastructure done by Jon Sergeant

jb66
28-12-2010, 10:22
Yeah been watching them too, amazing scenery

Dai
28-12-2010, 11:48
Yes, loved the old Ghurka with his blazer and medal ribbons. That was interesting too, I never knew the 'Ghorka' tribes spread across from Nepal to that region.

martyh
29-12-2010, 11:51
I gave the first two episodes a watch this morning ,absolutely fascinating .It's amazing how much of British influence has survived after we left .The other thing i find particularly humbling(if that's the right word) is how hard they work for the things we take for granted ,but achieving these goals is a lifelong dream for some ,like the woman porter who managed to get her son into colledge,she deserves a medal .Other things like fixing the steam train with a crisp packet and some tie wire ,pure brilliance anyone know when the next episode is on ?

Maggy
30-12-2010, 19:29
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/7t30p/

The first of two documentaries on Mombai railways..with some terrific statistics such as 6 million people travel each day on the railway.Or for every square mile in Mombai there are one million people living there.

Part 2 shown tomorrow at 9.05 on BBC 2

Available on iPlayer as well.

Hugh
30-12-2010, 20:06
I found out last month (when I overnighted in Mumbai) that they have, on average, 3,500 fatalities per year on the Mumbai Municipal Railways - in 2008 (a peak year) around 17 people per day died (mostly from crossing the tracks).

Scary.

Maggy
30-12-2010, 20:45
I found out last month (when I overnighted in Mumbai) that they have, on average, 3,500 fatalities per year on the Mumbai Municipal Railways - in 2008 (a peak year) around 17 people per day died (mostly from crossing the tracks).

Scary.

That's right.A driver featured in the programme reckoned he had personally in a 30 year career run over 60-70 people..