PDA

View Full Version : Best Cable for Virgin Media

Rzez
17-12-2010, 22:47
Hi all,

Sorry to repeat questions already asked, From my research i believe VM use RG6 cable. I purchased some off fleebay recently and well it looks about as useful as two plastics cups and a piece of string. It's got "RG6 SH0 12" written on it. I can only presume this translates to rubbish wire.

I'm basically trying to find the best wire possible to put between the outside wall where VM wall box is, in the wall, under the floor boards and up the other wall (chased in), so it's all ncie and tidy. I'm thinking 10meters is enough for this with plenty of flex.

I've been looking around and have come across HD100 A+ wire, but am unsure if this would fit going into the cable box/ if there is a better wire available on the market. I'll be needing it to go to the V+ box and the Netgear Router.

Any advise welcome, with any suppliers that sell the best grade wire (have read that grades of wire are different even if they're called the same, ie RG6).

Thanks
Mike

Peter_
17-12-2010, 23:25
Actually you are not allowed to extend Virginmedia cabling of the type you are talking about as you may cause noise ingress onto the network and loss your own connection and possibly your neighbours.

Any problems you cause you will be billed for, so if you need to extend a cable call Virginmedia who will relocate the cabling as required for a charge of £99 and the work will be done to the required standard.

Rzez
18-12-2010, 00:40
Actually you are not allowed to extend Virginmedia cabling of the type you are talking about as you may cause noise ingress onto the network and loss your own connection and possibly your neighbours.

Any problems you cause you will be billed for, so if you need to extend a cable call Virginmedia who will relocate the cabling as required for a charge of £99 and the work will be done to the required standard.

That would be fine, if the engineer would have had the compitance to set up a stable internet connection when installing it. (Had to spend an hour sorting out his mistakes, once I got home from work, when my girlfriend asked me why the internet wasn't working.

However.... If you would like to offer advice on the best type of cabling to use, to prevent interfearance to other customers, then I'd be very pleased to here from you.

P.S any news on TIVO coming to VM?

Peter_
18-12-2010, 06:25
That would be fine, if the engineer would have had the compitance to set up a stable internet connection when installing it. (Had to spend an hour sorting out his mistakes, once I got home from work, when my girlfriend asked me why the internet wasn't working.

However.... If you would like to offer advice on the best type of cabling to use, to prevent interfearance to other customers, then I'd be very pleased to here from you.

P.S any news on TIVO coming to VM?
As I said above you should not be attempting to alter Virginmedia cabling whatsoever as it can cause major issues and once they find the cause they will not be very happy, I can only offer advice on this matter but no else on here will advise you any differently than myself.

The TiVo as yet has no official release date but will be early in the New Year.

jb66
18-12-2010, 07:59
If you do decide to do it make sure it isn't the honeycomb stuff, it's really poor for virgin media, seen so many faults with them.

Peter_
18-12-2010, 08:01
If you do decide to do it make sure it isn't the honeycomb stuff, it's really poor for virgin media, seen so many faults with them.
But you would not recommend him to do so though.

jb66
18-12-2010, 08:11
it's safer for a technician to do it with the proper tools, the screw on f connectors especially are poor for the return path (on demand).

weesteev
21-12-2010, 13:48
RG6 triple shield cable is what Installers use for internal wiring, its not just wiring to consider though its also the length to the device your connecting and if an attenuator or amplifier may be required to provide enough signal strength to the CPE in question.

If its a short length then it should be an issue but if your thinking about adding another 20m coax run then you may encounter some issues. I would only ever reccommend a Virgin engineer do the work, avoid Ebay as the cable quality can be quite variable.

gondalio
21-12-2010, 18:28
highly recommend NOT running your own cable. seen this go wrong too many times and in the end the customer has either had to cough up for a replacement done by us because what they did, didnt work or we have been extremely kind and just done it for them if the cable run isnt long at all. but i always recommend to customers that get virginmedia to do it as we have the correct equipment for the job. tired of seeing screw on connectors tightened with pliers lol

JayJay
29-12-2010, 17:09
Ive come across alot of installs where customers have chased out the wall, ran draw string etc which has been a breeze to install. All holes drilled aswell. Coming across a job like that, i love it. It may pay you to do that, get us around, we run the cable, test it at each end job done.

OR...

Pop down your local virgin depot/yard and see if any of the guys will give you some cable. I'd be happy to if you was local

Nedkelly
29-12-2010, 19:40
As jay jay said most techs will give you cable .As tollerence on the network gets tighter noise is a big issue .We have disconnected 3 customers in this area who have run there own cable and connecters and were causing noise on the network .To get there services back on the house had to be rewired and checked by networks before they were connected back up .:)