PDA

View Full Version : I'm fuming

trublue
17-12-2010, 19:15
I booked and signed the contract to have Virgin install Tv,BB and phone way back on Nov18th.Installaton date was set for the 18th Dec,had a phone call yesterday to confirm the installation was going ahead as scheduled.Whilst preparing my computer room for the install,I had a call at 15.40 to say that they can't go ahead with the installation,because the men they sent today to see if they can get the cable from whatever you call it to my garden can't be done because it is blocked up.Apparently they now have to contact the council to get permission to dig the pavement up.I ask you,why wait till the eve of installation to check,it's bloody stupid.My neighbour who had virgin installed only 5 weeks ago,had to have the pavement dug up too because of the same problem.To cap it all,my broadband is due to be disconnected any day now,and my sky package finishes next week just in time for Christmas,can you believe it.I have either to pay Sky for an extra month,when I only need it for a week,(because the new installation date is the 31st Dec)or do without,and I just can't live without my broadband.I complained to the guy who rang to tell me,he passed me on to CS who then put me through to the installation dept,but in fact I ended up talking to the guy who phoned me earlier.It's a vicious circle isn't it.At the end of the day,I'm without BB and sky tv over Christmas,which is just not good enough.

gondalio
17-12-2010, 20:46
its a pain when that happens but i guess someone noticed that your place hadn't had any service before hence sent someone round to see if it was even possible to do the install. but these issues happen and sadly there isnt much that can be done apart from being patient and waiting on the guys to complete the construction work. If you have already paid ahead make sure you request compension for the time you havent had the service. hopefully wont be too long till you get in.

trublue
18-12-2010, 18:08
The heavy snowfall last night made my rant pointless,as I'm sure the install would have been cancelled.Roll on the 31st:)

Digital Fanatic
18-12-2010, 21:15
The heavy snowfall last night made my rant pointless,as I'm sure the install would have been cancelled.Roll on the 31st:)

Yeah 100% would have been. hope all goes well on 31st :)

gondalio
21-12-2010, 18:31
yeh good luck for 31st mate

trublue
03-01-2011, 12:13
Just to let everyone know,the installation went ahead as scheduled and everything is running smoothly.I was given the SA box and initially was a bit miffed it wasn't the Samsung.But after using it now for the last few days,I haven't a problem,the epg is fine,and I would say that sky's is only marginally better,The handset for the box is a bit cheap looking,but no big problem.The choices for the on demand are not to my liking,so I don't think I'll be using it.The picture quality is very good for SD shows and the HD is very good,even though my TV is only 720i.My 20meg B/B is super quick and it came with the Netgear hub VMDG 280.All in all very happy at the moment:)

One small question,I can turn off the TV using the remote,but when I turn it on again,it is not on hdmi and I can't toggle to get it,so I have to use the TV remote.Is there a way to toggle using the virgin handset?

Happy new year everyone.

JayJay
03-01-2011, 14:10
Hi trublue,

Dont know what your little miffed about not having a samsung box... you ordered a V+ and thats what you got. I have a van full of SA boxes at the moment.

Depending on your remote control, you can press * + help, this sometimes will change your source. Sounds like you have a samsung tv? My samsung tv does exactly the same but I use an AV amp so doesnt really bother me like that anymore.

trublue
03-01-2011, 16:16
Hi JayJay,
Regarding this comment Dont know what your little miffed about not having a samsung box... you ordered a V+ and thats what you got. I have a van full of SA boxes at the moment. From just what I have read on this site the consensus was that the Samsung box was better than the SA one,that is why I was "miffed" But as it has turned out,I have no problems with it so far.
I'll try what you suggested and hope that it works,though it's no big deal really.The tv I have is Sony Bravia.

Thanks for the reply.

JayJay
03-01-2011, 16:25
Thats ok, you tend to get people on here moaning about not getting a samsung box, I also get customers moaning that im not installing a samsung box. Was just letting you know we still install the SA boxes :), it truely is what ever is on the van.

Our warehouse is full of SA boxes, not seen a samsung in a little while.

Skie
08-01-2011, 23:01
Not all TV's will auto-switch to HDMI signals. Have a look in your TV's menus to see if you can select which AV signal it powers up on and set it to the one your cable box is connected to.

trublue
12-01-2011, 19:45
Thanks skie for the info,but I couldn't find anything in my tv settings.I have been using * and help buttons to change sources.I have to do that when I put a DVD in,whereas before the virgin install it would do it automatically,though I didn't have HD then,so I was using a scart lead.

The Installer
12-01-2011, 22:11
You will find as you've already said that a scart lead will auto switch to the relevent AV channel, however HDMI leads do not do this.

There is no fault, you will just have to manually select on your TV remote the correct AV channel to view your cable through the HDMI lead.

Some new TV's have started to auto switch with a HDMI source being activated, much like a scart lead would, but i have only ever seen one such Samsung TV that did that. This TV was brand new, so i'm quite sure this will become the norm in due course but at present, you'll need to select the correct input manually on your TV remote.

HTH

trublue
13-01-2011, 17:21
Thanks for the explanation,I had a feeling it could have been that,without really knowing why.

Digital Fanatic
13-01-2011, 18:09
Thanks for the explanation,I had a feeling it could have been that,without really knowing why.

My Sony Bravia is the same. I have to select the HDMI channel everytime i switch on :)

It's just how it works for most TV's.

trublue
14-01-2011, 21:23
My Sony Bravia is the same. I have to select the HDMI channel everytime i switch on :)

I don't have to do that,mine stops on the hdmi source until I alter it.