PDA

View Full Version : crackling on land line

stephen22
05-12-2010, 14:23
Hi all

Over the last few days I have recently developed a variable crackling on my landline telephones which when bad drowns out conversation and disables my broadband.

The landline comes in upstairs and is connected to the ground floor by a very old and largely inaccessible cable. Downstairs I have 2 sockets with a number of devices attached via splitters including a broadband hub.

The upstairs phone where the landline comes in has no crackle. Here's the crazy bit: when I pick up the upstairs phone, the crackle on all other phones immediately disappears, and broadband comes back to life.

I have disconnected every device upstairs and down (except the sockets themselves) and whichever splitter and phone I plug in downstairs the crackle is there.

This must make sense to an expert. It makes no sense to me!

Any advice would be gratefully received. Best wishes

Stephen

Digital Fanatic
05-12-2010, 21:48
Hi all

Over the last few days I have recently developed a variable crackling on my landline telephones which when bad drowns out conversation and disables my broadband.

The landline comes in upstairs and is connected to the ground floor by a very old and largely inaccessible cable. Downstairs I have 2 sockets with a number of devices attached via splitters including a broadband hub.

The upstairs phone where the landline comes in has no crackle. Here's the crazy bit: when I pick up the upstairs phone, the crackle on all other phones immediately disappears, and broadband comes back to life.

I have disconnected every device upstairs and down (except the sockets themselves) and whichever splitter and phone I plug in downstairs the crackle is there.

This must make sense to an expert. It makes no sense to me!

Any advice would be gratefully received. Best wishes

Stephen

Are you an ADSL (National) customer?

Sounds like faulty extension sockets/cables causing the issue of crackling on the line. There must be some damage somewhere. you'll need to locate where the damage is exactly before you can do anything.

:welcome: to the forum too :waving:

stephen22
06-12-2010, 13:51
Thanks for the welcome.

I had suspected that faulty sockets/cables might be causing the problem. Thank you for confirming that.

I just thought that this bizarre and completely reproducible behaviour - abolishing the crackle by lifting the upstairs phone - might give a clue as to the cause, before I start ripping out all the sockets.