PDA

View Full Version : Internal Wiring a Mess

Andy C
04-12-2010, 16:57
Hi guys,

I've had this install now many, many years but the wiring coming into my home is a mess and has always frustrated me. You'll see the coax coming them and then being split between the TV/Radio boxed splitter and the other lead going under the floor beading to my cable modem. Surely all this could be a lot neater...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/12/114.jpg

A lovely sight next to my patio door in the living room eh! I've even noticed two engineers here doing other things looking at it ad then at each other, but not saying a word.

Andy.

nodrogd
04-12-2010, 17:50
I'll agree, a mess, and not strictly correct either. The box contains not only a redundant TV/FM splitter but also an isolator. Effectively anything connected in front of this is not protected from external voltage spikes. So if your modem gets fryed next time there's a thunderstorm, you'll know why.

jb66
04-12-2010, 18:05
If a new isolator was put on where would the splitter go? Maybe a splitter could be housed in the isolator plate and an actual isolated at the other side of that wire coming in

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

I'll agree, a mess, and not strictly correct either. The box contains not only a redundant TV/FM splitter but also an isolator. Effectively anything connected in front of this is not protected from external voltage spikes. So if your modem gets fryed next time there's a thunderstorm, you'll know why.

The virgin network I earthed so it wouldn't fry the modem, not tested my theory though

nodrogd
04-12-2010, 18:24
Isolator where the wall plate is (assuming the adjacent plate doesn't foul the cover). Splitter neatly screwed to the skirting board. Well, thats what I had done with mine.

jb66
04-12-2010, 18:48
If have done that too but trying to figure out a way It could be done with the existing wires

Andy C
05-12-2010, 15:25
Cheers for the replies guys.

The TV/FM splitter is redundant? I still use it as I can't get a radio signal in the flat so I have the FM cable in the stereo. That box was fitted originally, about 13 years ago, and the rather messy wiring a long time ago also, in the days when I was paying £50/m for 512k BB with the bought 3com brick :)

What are the chances of getting someone out to tidy things up a bit?

Andy.

jb66
05-12-2010, 15:51
For free? Can't see it without a fight myself

Andy C
05-12-2010, 17:10
I was thinking more of when an engineer is next out, e.g. doing a TiVo install...

jb66
05-12-2010, 19:13
Yeah he should as your isolator needs exchanged