PDA

View Full Version : Moneygram help

dgardner
04-12-2010, 02:07
Hi,
I need to send some money to my cousin in norfolk for christmas pressies
for her kids but she doesn't have a bank account so no money transfer
or cheque and she isn't net savvy so no paypal etc.
I could send postal orders but could take weeks to turn up if at all so was thinking
of moneygram through the post office but I have never used it before.
The question is has anyone used it and ho easy is it to get the money
and how much is charged?
Thanks

Uncle Peter
04-12-2010, 02:59
Have you tried Western Union?

www.westernunion.co.uk

dgardner
04-12-2010, 03:54
Thanks for the reply

I first looked at western union but there are no outlets near her whereas with moneyram
she can get the money from the post office

Dai
04-12-2010, 13:06
https://www.moneygram.com/MGI/EN/GB/Market/Market.htm?CC=GB&LC=EN

There's a link on the front page "How much" that takes you to an estimator page. 100 quid costs 12 to send apparently and is available in 10 minutes.

haydnwalker
04-12-2010, 15:12
Whats wrong with just sending cash via Royal Mail Special Delivery? It costs £5 but depends on weight.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Make sure its well packed though (ie not just an envelope)

Julian
04-12-2010, 16:27
Special Delivery is £5.05 for a letter/package up to 100g which includes £500 insurance and is guaranteed next day delivery. It'sonly 45p more if it's heavier - up to 500g.

If you are sending a card just pop the cash inside the card and send the letter by Special at any Post Office.

Chris
04-12-2010, 16:44
Hi,
I need to send some money to my cousin in norfolk for christmas pressies
for her kids but she doesn't have a bank account so no money transfer
or cheque and she isn't net savvy so no paypal etc.
I could send postal orders but could take weeks to turn up if at all so was thinking
of moneygram through the post office but I have never used it before.
The question is has anyone used it and ho easy is it to get the money
and how much is charged?
Thanks

Really? Have you ever met this 'cousin'? Be sure to check that the moneygram office she wants you to send to isn't actually in Nigeria. Norfolk, Nigeria ... easily confused. ;)

haydnwalker
04-12-2010, 18:16
Chris - I was tempted by a comment along those lines too...

dgardner
04-12-2010, 21:43
Of course I have met my cousin :shrug:
When did they move Norfolk to Nigeria? :shrug:
Still thanks for the replies :confused:

haydnwalker
04-12-2010, 23:38
Of course I have met my cousin :shrug:
When did they move Norfolk to Nigeria? :shrug:
Still thanks for the replies :confused:

You obviously didn't get the joke...

In the Nigerian Spam emails that fly around the net, usually nigerians ask for money to be sent via Moneygram or Western Union transfers in return for large cash deposits into your bank account (they make out that you are a last surviving relative of someone there).

This is why I wouldn't touch Moneygram/Western Union with a 10ft barge pole, and Special Delivery is much better IMHO

dgardner
04-12-2010, 23:57
ahh I see

Maggy
05-12-2010, 01:22
You obviously didn't get the joke...

In the Nigerian Spam emails that fly around the net, usually nigerians ask for money to be sent via Moneygram or Western Union transfers in return for large cash deposits into your bank account (they make out that you are a last surviving relative of someone there).

This is why I wouldn't touch Moneygram/Western Union with a 10ft barge pole, and Special Delivery is much better IMHO

What actual proof do you have that Moneygram are not kosher?Just because they are mentioned in Nigerian scam mail isn't proof positive.

Mal
05-12-2010, 01:32
Plus, I would never send cash through the post, even by special delivery...

haydnwalker
05-12-2010, 16:13
What actual proof do you have that Moneygram are not kosher?Just because they are mentioned in Nigerian scam mail isn't proof positive.

No I wasn't saying it was...

I generally go on word of mouth for things like that - as just because a reputable company is selling the service, doesn't mean the service they are selling is reputable :)

I've actually looked it up, and you get a reference number, so I suppose for small amounts it should be fine (but for the cost, special delivery would be cheaper @ £5 - Moneygram costs £9 to send £50 or £12 to send £100)