PDA

View Full Version : Outside tap

LSainsbury
28-11-2010, 12:52
Afternoon,

Do all outside taps have a stopcock fitted to them?

Are there any building regs that state that one must be fitted?

Our house is 2ish years old and I cannot find it anywhere.

martyh
28-11-2010, 12:57
Afternoon,

Do all outside taps have a stopcock fitted to them?

Are there any building regs that state that one must be fitted?

not necessarily a stop cock ,but sometimes there may a isolator valve to turn off that section of the mains, failing that to turn it off you will have to turn off the mains .I'm not aware of any regulations that require a stop cock or isolator valve to any part of the mains system

Zing
28-11-2010, 13:08
I installed mine and used one of the self tapping ( hehe) easy fit kits which does have its own tap

SnoopZ
28-11-2010, 13:13
I was under the impression that an outside tap had to be fitted with an isolator now if it was fitted after those regulations came in, same goes for indoor taps too, but then im not a plumber so maybe very wrong! :)

edit:

The installing needs to comply with certain regulations which specify that:

The tap can be isolated by means of an in-line shut off valve, such as a stopcock, or in-line service valve.

http://www.practicaldiy.com/plumbing/outside-tap/fitting-outside-tap.php

SnoopZ
28-11-2010, 13:23
AFIK current water regs only require a non-return valve is fitted to all new installations. Fitting either a stopcock or isolation valve inside the property is a good idea so that the outside part of the pipe may be isolated and drained in severe frosts.

His house is only 2 years old though,so that should be covered with the new regulations i guess? :)

Peter_
28-11-2010, 14:22
I can isolate mine from inside as it is connected to the same pipe as the washing machine and dishwasher.

martyh
28-11-2010, 14:25
All the regs i have checked only say it is "best practice" to install isolator valves ,it is however compulsory to install non return valves to outside taps to stop contaminated water being sucked back into the system from hose pipes

Osem
28-11-2010, 14:31

Blimey, the outside tap is the least of your problems I reckon... :D

Zing
28-11-2010, 14:32
http://www.swelluk.com/garden-watering/tap-connections-1045/tap-connections-1052/hozelock-garden-tap-starter-kit-192136.html?ref=shopping&utm_source=product-search&utm_medium=googlebase this is what I used

LSainsbury
28-11-2010, 16:35
Stopcock - isolator valve - yeah - that's what I meant - I stopcock is the device that stops the flow of incoming water to the property :)

OK - thanks for the advice - so the consensus is that there may not be one?

Generally - where would this bee fitted? The stopcock is under the sink along with the isolators for the washing machine / dishwasher. I can't see one in the airing cupboard. The tap in question is on the back of the house - god knows which way the pipe runs.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Blimey, the outside tap is the least of your problems I reckon... :D

Yeah - I've looked for it everwhere but cannot find it! Bloody house - why can't it stay where I left it in the morning! :D

SnoopZ
28-11-2010, 17:00
It should be between where the tap comes through the wall and where it connects to the internal pipework, mine is located under my kitchen sink where it comes through the wall and i have 1 of those valves in post 8, and seeing this thread has just reminded me to turn mine off otherwise it'll freeze in the tap outside and i always have a hard time getting it to work again.

LSainsbury
29-11-2010, 07:26
It should be between where the tap comes through the wall and where it connects to the internal pipework, mine is located under my kitchen sink where it comes through the wall and i have 1 of those valves in post 8, and seeing this thread has just reminded me to turn mine off otherwise it'll freeze in the tap outside and i always have a hard time getting it to work again.

Well - there's about 2" of pipework on the outside and then disapears into the wall - nothing more to see.

Might just have to buy one of those tap jacket things then.

martyh
29-11-2010, 08:01
Well - there's about 2" of pipework on the outside and then disapears into the wall - nothing more to see.

can't you see any pipe on the inside ?

Where is the tap placed on the outside of the property ?kitchen wall?

banjo
29-11-2010, 18:52

I wrap the outside tap with bubble wrap it has always worked so far.

LSainsbury
29-11-2010, 21:30
can't you see any pipe on the inside ?

Where is the tap placed on the outside of the property ?kitchen wall?

Nope - it goes inside the cavity of the wall.

It's on the outside wall of the lounge.

martyh
29-11-2010, 21:40
Nope - it goes inside the cavity of the wall.

It's on the outside wall of the lounge.

This seems very strange to me :confused: where is the nearest cold water feed you can see ? it is most likely fed off that the pipe cannot run through the cavity

LSainsbury
01-12-2010, 20:32
Well we are and end terrace so I suppose it could run around the side on the house between the bricks and join to the water main via the water meter somehow.

martyh
01-12-2010, 20:49
Well we are and end terrace so I suppose it could run around the side on the house between the bricks and join to the water main via the water meter somehow.

no it most definately should not run in the cavity,the position of the tap is fine you can have one anywhere you want .It may well be that the pipe runs through the cavity but it should not ,it is considered very bad practice to run pipes or cables through the cavity .If i were you i would get that pipe disconnected from the mains and put a new pipe in one that is easily accesible incase of leaks and can be seperated from the mains

This extremely bad practice is rarely done but when it is done it is mostly on timber framed houses ,is your house a timber framed house?

SnoopZ
01-12-2010, 21:00
I think we need photos.

LSainsbury
01-12-2010, 21:07
Well it was only a guess and it's fine where it is - it was built into the house.

The house is just over two years old and I'm not ripping it out so we can get to the pipe!

I'll get my detector out at the weekend and try and trace which way it runs...

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

I think we need photos.

You may be right! A bit cold out there tonight for that though...

martyh
01-12-2010, 21:26
Well it was only a guess and it's fine where it is - it was built into the house.

The house is just over two years old and I'm not ripping it out so we can get to the pipe!

I'll get my detector out at the weekend and try and trace which way it runs...

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

You may be right! A bit cold out there tonight for that though...

You won't need to rip it out just disconnect it and cut it off where it comes inside .But as you say the house is 2 years old and i doubt very much if it is inside the cavity ,more likely to be running through the studs on the inside walls assuming it is timber framed or possibly behind the skirting board if block and brick construction