PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Doctor Who : Season 6

Pages : [1] 2

Paul
23-11-2010, 01:32
This begins in early 2011.

Steven Moffat has revealed that the opening story of [new] season 6 will be a two parter set in the US. It will see the Doctor, Amy and Rory travel back to the 1960s and visit the Oval Office of the White House in Washington DC.

The season will also be split into 2 "halfs", with a cliff hanger at the break point.

Tezcatlipoca
23-11-2010, 01:48
I'm looking forward to it :)

Still not so sure about the US-style split, though.

Christmas special soon :D

v0id
23-11-2010, 01:58
Doctor Who needs less Rory

Lord Nikon
23-11-2010, 02:10
Needs less Matt Smith too

Paul
23-11-2010, 13:08
... and more Amy :D

v0id
24-11-2010, 00:13
...and River Song :D

ThunderPants73
16-12-2010, 22:26
Ponds and Rivers......hmm, strange.

Peter_
17-12-2010, 07:32
Ponds and Rivers......hmm, strange.
I find nothing wrong with wanting a dip in the Pond and letting River flow around me.:D

Looking forward to the Christmas Special.

Boaz
23-12-2010, 17:23
Lost a lot of interest in it since Davids departure to be honest. I will take a look though.

Stephen
23-12-2010, 18:34
Lost a lot of interest in it since Davids departure to be honest. I will take a look though.

So you a just a David fan and not really a Doctor Who fan then?

Can't wait to see the Christmas special and the new series. Matt Smith has been great so far. Reminds me of the 1st & 2nd doctor still.

Mick Fisher
23-12-2010, 19:56
Same as me.

Matt Smith doesn't make a decent Doctor for me and I couldn't stand his companion, whatever her name was. :(

Rest assured though I will take a look at the Christmas Special and the new series in the hope things will pick up.

In fairness to Matt Smith, IMO he really hasn't had much to work on. I thought the scripts and storylines of the last series were dire.

Stuart
23-12-2010, 20:53
I have to admit, while I did enjoy S5, I have recently bought the DVD boxset of S4. S4 was much better.

The problem with S5 is that while there were some excellent stories (Victory of the Daleks, The Time Of Angels, Flesh and Stone and the final two), a lot were just OK, and a couple felt like fillers (Eleventh Hour, Best Below and the Lodger).

One thing I like about the final episodes is the sequence in which a Cybersuit attempts to convert Amy. That sequence shows that Steven Moffatt understood what makes the Cybermen scary far more than Russell T Davies.

As for Matt Smith, I think he could be a good doctor, if given good stories. There were scenes in a couple of stories that showed Matt can be quite sinister when asked to be. A quality that the Doctor rarely displays, but is a necessary part of the character, IMO.

Karen Gillan is (I think) quite good. I like the feisty assistant role, and the jokey references to her Scottish ancestry. She is quite sexy, but I don't think she is the sexiest assistant (that award goes to either Freema Agyeman or Carey Mulligan IMO).

Rory is quite funny, but I think they could lose him.

Hopefully the team behind Doctor Who have taken a long cold hard look at series 5, and in series 6, worked to remove the bits that didn't work well, and improve those that did. As the production team behind ANY series should.

adzii_nufc
24-12-2010, 16:23
Cant wait for tommorow's ep!

Wasnt a massive Doctor Who fan until the revival so for me it went from being used to Ecclestone then finding it hard to adjust to Tennant then I thought there was no way I could adjust again after David's performance but funny enough I took to Matt quicker than I did with Tennant.. Who knows 0_o

Lord Nikon
25-12-2010, 04:52
I still don't feel Matt Smith has 'taken ownership' of the role yet. There's nothing about him and his performance that defines him as the Doctor. This is quite worrying when a whole season has taken place.

Stuart
26-12-2010, 01:06
Watching the Xmas ep now.

One thing i've noticed so far is that there seem to be a few references to star trek. Nothing massive, just that the bridge of the starship Amy was one was a similar shape to the bridge of the Enterprise in The Wrath Of Kahn. The Viewscreen was the same shape as well. They also referred to the ship as being "Galaxy Class".

Paul
26-12-2010, 01:30
The christmas episode was ok, but nothing special IMO.

cimt
26-12-2010, 03:10
They're never actually fantastic though, are they? Did anyone watch the trailer? Can't wait for the new series to start.

Lord Nikon
26-12-2010, 05:22
Unless there is a significant change in the writing and acting I can see the next season of Dr Who being the last. It used to be the sets were cardboard and the acting made up for it, now the acting is cardboard and the sets make up for it. The story today was bland and the acting mediocre. Thing is, I have yet to see Matt Smith really OWN the role. This today in no way was helped by the storyline. I'm sure Smith is a fine actor, but he just doesn't seem to fit the role, there's something lacking. Moffat has written some EXCELLENT episodes in the past (Empty Child, Girl in the fireplace, Silence in the library) but since being in control of the show - nothing on a par with them.

I've watched episodes of Dr Who featuring all the Actors, despite the show being 10 years old when I was born, I grew up in the Tom Baker era but have seen every episode I can find with earlier Doctors, and all have established themselves in the first episodes of the first season, something Matt Smith has not yet done. (Even Sylvester McCoy battling murderous Bertie Bassets) It could be that the script writers haven't given him the opportunity but it just seems he hasn't / can't settle into the role. We're a season into smith and he just doesn't bring the dynamic to the role. I had the same misgivings about Chris Ecclestone, but by the end of 'Rose' he'd established himself, Same for David Tennant - but by the end of 'Smith and Jones' he'd established himself. I'm a sci fi addict and proud of it, but the shows that don't draw me in seem to get cancelled a lot, I never got into Caprica - cancelled, Stargate Universe bored me - It wasn't just the 'oh we have 8 hours to find food' type storylines, there was no real antagonist (SG1 had the Goa'uld and the Ori, Atlantis had the Wraith), nothing that could draw the audience into supporting the main cast for - show cancelled. I'm getting those same 'meh' feelings for Doctor Who, and if they can't get the show moving I can see viewing figures dropping and the BBC deciding it's not cost effective to keep running.

Jameseh
26-12-2010, 06:43
I can see what you mean about Matt Smith, I couldn't sit through today's special and some episodes of S5 were disappointing but with the large american following it seems to have and all the revenue they get from merchandise, I really can't see them cancelling it any time soon.

Stephen
26-12-2010, 14:05
Watching the Xmas ep now.

One thing i've noticed so far is that there seem to be a few references to star trek. Nothing massive, just that the bridge of the starship Amy was one was a similar shape to the bridge of the Enterprise in The Wrath Of Kahn. The Viewscreen was the same shape as well. They also referred to the ship as being "Galaxy Class".

Not only that but the bridge was White and had lots of lens flair like the recent Trek movie.

Need to give a second viewing but I really enjoyed the Christmas ep this year.

Blackened
26-12-2010, 14:22
We were all looking forward to the episode all day and settled to watch it late evening - our V+ box ended the recording before the episode had finished. We're all pretty big DW fans in this house but none of us could be bothered checking iPlayer to watch the last few minutes. Very dull for a special. I think (unlike DT) Smith needs strong supporting character roles and those were clearly lacking here.

Mick Fisher
26-12-2010, 16:26
Just as disappointing as the previous series.

On the strength of the Xmas special and the last series I think I have come to the end of my patience with this show.

It seems to me to be on a par with Merlin, complete and utter rubbish. :(

LSainsbury
29-12-2010, 11:55
Watched the Christmas episode last night - I'd give it 2/10 at a push. Didn't like it at all.

martyh
29-12-2010, 12:40
compared to other christmas specials this was crap ,the story line was rubbish.I don't mind Matt Smith he will grow on me the same as other doctors have as long as the story lines improve ,hopefully this is not a fore taste of things to come in the next season

Pierre
04-01-2011, 13:20
I only got half way through it and turned it off........it was just boring, that's all.

Matt Smith is not a good doctor.

The shine has rubbed of Karen Gillan, christ give me back Catherine Tate any day of the week.

I agree that the good doctor is doomed unless something drastic happens.

Dave9946
29-01-2011, 10:40
I dont think any of the xmas specials have been anything like as good as episodes from the series. But is that not the point?. They are xmas specials they dont seem to be made like they are serious important episodes that are an important part of a continual series storyline etc. I dont think of them as anything other that the "light\fun" eps that you seem to get 1 a series for.

Lew
15-03-2011, 15:52
Don't forget that there's a mini Doctor Who adventure in this Friday's Comic Relief.

And as part of the build-up you can watch the first part of the original Comic Relief special, Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death on the BBC's Doctor Who site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110314_02/The_Curse_of_Fatal_Death). Part 1 is up now, with part 2 to be added tomorrow.

BenMcr
15-03-2011, 16:25
Or watch the whole thing on Comic Relief's official YouTube page here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

;)

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Also Time Crash is online too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I76p1cZbq4

Stephen
15-03-2011, 17:22
Its looking like an Easter weekend launch again this year although the BBC still haven't confirmed a date.

However it starts in the USA on the 23rd April so we will be a couple of weeks before that.

BenMcr
15-03-2011, 17:24
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a308147/bbc-confirms-doctor-who-premiere-date.html

The next series of Doctor Who will premiere over the Easter weekend.

The first half of the show's sixth run will begin on BBC One on Saturday 23 April, according to Doctor Who Magazine.

Paul
26-03-2011, 00:06
Prequel ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_l0iqkoTY

BenMcr
26-03-2011, 00:11
Prequel ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_l0iqkoTY
It's on the BBC site in better quality http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/videos/p00fxf06

BenMcr
30-03-2011, 18:21
60 second trailer is now online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ25Krq

Stephen
30-03-2011, 18:35
Here is another link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ25Krq8&feature=player_embedded

BenMcr
30-03-2011, 18:45
Thanks, cut too much off the end. Ooops

Chris
30-03-2011, 19:33
Time to head over to one of the uber-nerd fan forums and have a laugh at them dissecting it frame by frame ... :D

Tezcatlipoca
30-03-2011, 20:31
Oooh... can't wait! :D

martyh
30-03-2011, 20:43
:hyper:looks great, cant wait for the season to start makes me feel like i'm 7 again :hyper:

LSainsbury
30-03-2011, 20:53
Anybody know when it's being shown??

Stephen
30-03-2011, 21:03
Anybody know when it's being shown??

Easter weekend.

LSainsbury
30-03-2011, 21:12
So there's not another 12 episode season?

BenMcr
30-03-2011, 21:30
They are having a mid season break this year

Paul
30-03-2011, 21:47
Its 13 eps, but split into two sessions.

adzii_nufc
31-03-2011, 05:27
Makes it a lot better in my opinion.

You will have a mid-season finale on a cliffhanger and the Season finale two-parter to watch :)

Although I dont have any idea why they do it? Top Gear has the same format.

I assume it's to spread it out or something?

Stephen
31-03-2011, 12:38

You will have a mid-season finale on a cliffhanger and the Season finale two-parter to watch :)

Not sure why but it's been mentioned that it's so Torchwood can be on in the summer or that Moffat can work on Sherlock Holmes.

Chris
31-03-2011, 13:12
A combination of things no doubt, but it also has the benefit of exposing it to a larger audience. It was always sad to see the last 3-4 eps attracting lower ratings due to them being screened in the summer.

Paul
31-03-2011, 14:24
In case anyone is unclear - its split as first 7 eps, then last 6.

Stephen
31-03-2011, 14:44
Did anyone spot a few things in the trailer?

Specifically the shot of the tenth Doctors console room? Rory and Amy were also there with a big ball of energy.

BenMcr
31-03-2011, 15:42
Digital Spy have a handy 'scene by scene' step through of the new trailer http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a311946/new-doctor-who-trailer-scene-by-scene.html

watzizname
01-04-2011, 12:53

Because the American TV industry is geared that way, and the BBC will do whatever is required to give their shows the maximum exposure over there?

Given how the complete series (already broadcast in the UK) would be available on the net before the show's even returned from the notorious mid season break, it would potentially jeopardize the viewing figures, level of success and as such any revenue streams.

Although I've never watched BBC America (Maybe they run UK shows from start to finish?) i would guess the BBC would love to sell their programs to as many networks as they can, so will bend over backwards to make them as US friendly as possible.

Which of course means, at some point, we'll probably have to suffer another American doctor :(

Regarding the upcoming series..
I'm guessing that President Kennedy is in fact "the best man I've ever known" that River ends up serving time in the Stormcage for killing, but I'm really really hoping that it's not the main theme for this series, as i just don't care enough about JFK, and also think that it'll be near impossible to top Red Dwarf's version of what really happened that day ;)

Lew
18-04-2011, 15:48
Don't forget it starts this Saturday, folks!

Tezcatlipoca
23-04-2011, 18:17
Reminder!

The new series of Doctor Who starts this evening at 6pm, on BBC1 and BBC1 HD :)

Chris
23-04-2011, 18:30
Oh stop it! I'm so excited right now I wish I had my own TARDIS so I could skip the next half hour. :hyper: :D

adzii_nufc
23-04-2011, 18:31
29 minutes!

joglynne
23-04-2011, 18:59
I can't decide whether to watch it or record it and then watch both parts back to back. I know I will enjoy it but having to wait a week to see what happens is the pits. :(

adzii_nufc
23-04-2011, 19:50
Decent build up to the second episode, Pretty good start to the series imo.

Tezcatlipoca
23-04-2011, 19:53
Good ep.

Also nice to see SF/cult TV regulars W. Morgan Sheppard & Mark Sheppard in the same show.

Stuart
23-04-2011, 19:59
Agreed..

Zing
23-04-2011, 20:01
The CBBC tribute should have been on after the show on BBC HD instead imo
Available here if you missed it http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0112hzr/My_Sarah_Jane_A_Tribute_to_Elisabeth_Sladen/

Good episode look forward to next week

Tezcatlipoca
23-04-2011, 20:15
So...

- The control room thing in the tunnels reminded me of the ship in "The Lodger". Was it the same?

- How can Matt Smith's Doctor truly die? Wouldn't that mean that Matt Smith would have to be the last one, & so mean that the Doctor couldn't regenerate again if Smith left the show? Must be a way around it...

- The Silence... can someone remind me which ep they/it were in in the previous series?

Zing
23-04-2011, 20:18
So...

- The control room thing in the tunnels reminded me of the ship in "The Lodger". Was it the same?

- How can Matt Smith's Doctor truly die? Wouldn't that mean that Matt Smith would have to be the last one, & so mean that the Doctor couldn't regenerate again if Smith left the show? Must be a way around it...

- The Silence... can someone remind me which ep they/it were in in the previous series?

they can do anything they want can't they lol

Chris
23-04-2011, 21:09
- Yes, it was the timeship control room from "The Lodger", which guest-starred James Corden. Who is also, as it happens, appearing at some point in this series. :scratch:

carlwaring
23-04-2011, 21:21
Yes. Why? We don't know yet,

There is. Wibbly, wobbly... and time can be re-written.

Mentioned throughout... "Silence will fall." BTW, point of order. They're actually called the Silents.

adzii_nufc
24-04-2011, 14:45
I thought there was more to the mysterious Delaware guy but just turned out to be the Ex-FBI agent

Although do keep an eye on Amy's Pregnancy, May turn out to be interesting.

watzizname
24-04-2011, 20:37
There is. Wibbly, wobbly... and time can be re-written.

Yep, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey.. and now Bumpy Wumpy. :wtf: Even Matt Smith didn't look too comfortable saying it.

Anyways, despite the whole "Most powerful" this and that ego stroking the Americans received, and the unlikely usage of the word Gasoline instead of Petrol, I rather enjoyed it.

Was a real treat to see both William and Mark Sheppard in last nights episode, as per usual, they delivered the goods.

I like that we've come into this story more toward the mid point, and that there seems to be an awful lot of misdirection in play.

Who are the real victims, and who are the real villains? I doubt it's anything like as obvious as we're being led to believe.

Looking forward to the next episode :)

martyh
24-04-2011, 20:54
very good first episode i believe that River Song is the astronaut that kills the future doctor and possibly Amy's child

Lord Nikon
25-04-2011, 00:48
Some thoughts

Karen Gillan seems to be the astronaut, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl they can hear is Amy's future daughter, I think River Song is a timelord in cloak as Tennant's doctor was in 'Family of Blood' possibly Romanadvortrelundar, Omega will probably be returning in this season which could mean a restart of the timelords. Oh and I think this is to be a Dalek free season.

Paul
25-04-2011, 01:22
I dont think you need to hide your thoughts :)

Stuart
25-04-2011, 01:32
Steven Moffat has already said they will not include the Daleks unless they come up with a good reason to do so, and a story to back it up.

Thinking about it, Russell T Davis used them in every series. In the original, over the entire 25 years, they were apparently used in only about 11 stories. I think they were all the more scary because they were not used that often.

Lord Nikon
25-04-2011, 03:13
The first part of my post is in the leader for the next episode, so I didn't want to spoil it for anyone waiting for the ep to find out.

Pierre
26-04-2011, 12:10
Good episode for this Doctor, possibly the best so far.

Maybe he may finally grow into the role during his second season.

Didn't like the innuendo between song and the Dr......."I'm a bit of a screamer" ooer......

Need to explain to me how Amy is pregnant, isn't Rory made of plastic???????? or did I miss something.

dilli-theclaw
26-04-2011, 12:12
Need to explain to me how Amy is pregnant, isn't Rory made of plastic???????? or did I miss something.That is true - but she didn't say it was his.

Chris
26-04-2011, 12:19
Rory isn't made of plastic ... history was re-booted from the ground up at the end of the last series, so the events that killed him didn't happen ... or something timey-wimey like that. :spin:

Damien
26-04-2011, 12:51
I hope they don't bring the Daleks back for a good while. I find them rather tiresome, they keep getting defeated forever, Then somehow survive in the space between existence (or some equally absurd excuse) and come back again and again. It loses the appeal and the drama when the big bad reveal is the bloody Daleks or Cybermen again. They should use them rarely, and by that I mean every few seasons.

I also find them boring. Much prefer The Master as that's a much more interesting character and danger.

Stephen
26-04-2011, 14:12
I hope they don't bring the Daleks back for a good while. I find them rather tiresome, they keep getting defeated forever, Then somehow survive in the space between existence (or some equally absurd excuse) and come back again and again. It loses the appeal and the drama when the big bad reveal is the bloody Daleks or Cybermen again. They should use them rarely, and by that I mean every few seasons.

I also find them boring. Much prefer The Master as that's a much more interesting character and danger.

I think Moffat already stated that the daleks will not be in this season. However the Cybermen will.

watzizname
26-04-2011, 23:01
And if any of the rumors i keep coming across are true, then so is Omega?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN8FK8SzrT4

Stuart
30-04-2011, 19:54
Another good episode..

I love the way the little girl regenerated at the end.

carlwaring
30-04-2011, 21:16
Agreed, Stuart.

Except that I don't really like my head exploding after each episode. :D

I like to have to think, but not that much ;)

Hom3r
01-05-2011, 01:04
My thoughts on tonights episode

It just hit me who the little girl is.

I think the little girl is the daughter of Amy and the Doctor, and they cannot remember anything due to the Silence.

She is River Song, and thats why she knows all about him.

One of the weird theories on the web.

Both Amy and River are pregnant carrying each other (Time travel wibbly wobby stuff)

Paul
01-05-2011, 02:22
No need for spoiler tags people, the episode has aired.

The girl is [apparently] a timelord as she can regenerate. She may be the Doctors daughter, she may also be Amys daughter, but IMO that seems unlikely, partly because its just too obvious, and I would hope the writers were a little more devious.

It seems very unlikely River Song is the Doctors Daughter (or I would hope not, given the kiss she gave the doctor). I thought it was established she was his wife at some point, but Im not sure if this was just speculation.

watzizname
01-05-2011, 03:53
Might it be that River is Amy and Rory's Daughter, and the little girl is in fact River and the Doctor's Daughter?

The scene near the end, where River kisses the doctor expecting him to reciprocate, and he is surprised by the sudden development in their relationship, she seems more than a little surprised by his standoffish behavior.

Might this indicate that her and the Doctor did get close (even if we didn't see it happen) at some point in this episode, but events involving the Silence had somehow wiped the memory from his mind?

If they did get close enough, and got it on together, and (If) River is now pregnant, this could go some way to explaining who the little girl is, and why she would be able to regenerate.

The photo of Amy holding the baby, put on display, and surrounded by other photo's of the little girl would also make sense, if Amy is the little girls grandmother.

Sounds a little Peter Pan like, but River could be a future companion of the Doctor's, and someone he falls in love with, sometime after Amy and Rory have left to have their baby?

It's possible that for reasons known only to himself, the Doctor kept an eye on Amy and Rory after they left, so would explain how he knew all about young River, when she first meets him.

LSainsbury
01-05-2011, 10:16
No need for spoiler tags people, the episode has aired.

Great. A master stroke there. What about the people who havn't watched it yet!! :mad:

Perhaps spoiler tags for a week after it's aired?

Zing
01-05-2011, 10:37
I just do not read the thread till ive seen the latest episode

Chris
01-05-2011, 10:40
Great. A master stroke there. What about the people who havn't watched it yet!! :mad:

Perhaps spoiler tags for a week after it's aired?

The solution would be to do what Zing does (me as well) and just don't read it until after you've watched the episode.

Spoilers are elements of the story revealed in advance of the story being aired. After the story has aired, they aren't spoilers, even if you personally didn't catch the broadcast.

Zing
01-05-2011, 10:42
We did not see who the girl regenerates into.

I was under the impression a timelord only becomes a timelord after he/she gazers into the eye of something or other?

Is it possible the child isnt a child and could regenerate into an adult? possibly Omega?

Will most likely have to wait till the second half of the series to find out for sure lol

just for interests sake I watched the Sarah Jane adventures episode with Matt Smiths Doctor and he was asked how many time can he regenerate and he said 507( I think it was 500 and something)

carlwaring
01-05-2011, 10:51
....but Im not sure if this was just speculation.
Everything is speculation right now; until the reveal :)

just for interests sake I watched the Sarah Jane adventures episode with Matt Smiths Doctor and he was asked how many time can he regenerate and he said 507( I think it was 500 and something)
Yeah. Of course the actual number is 13. We think that was just an random exaggeration.

danielf
01-05-2011, 11:37
Might this indicate that her and the Doctor did get close (even if we didn't see it happen) at some point in this episode, but events involving the Silence had somehow wiped the memory from his mind?

Imagine having sex while watching the Silence. I don't think so... :erm:

Zing
01-05-2011, 11:43
Everything is speculation right now; until the reveal :)

Yeah. Of course the actual number is 13. We think that was just an random exaggeration.

I thought that all changed in older episodes for the masters sake?

Info here and RTD's view on it http://www.starpulse.com/news/Emily_AsherPerrin/2010/11/04/how_many_times_can_the_doctor_really_r

carlwaring
01-05-2011, 12:03
According to the former "Doctor Who" showrunner, he came up the number because he thought it was funny: "I could not resist! I was hooting. It'll never stick, though. That 13 lives is stuck in people's heads. It is, isn't it funny? Yet they only said 13 once or twice".

He was, apparently, having a laugh so it's still open to discussion :)

And yes, 12 regens is 13 people ;)

Zing
01-05-2011, 12:07
Im sure when the time comes the Doctor will find something to reboot his anyway

carlwaring
01-05-2011, 12:09
Indeed. It's going to be interesting :)

Stephen
01-05-2011, 12:27
I don't think the girl will end up being River, or even the Doctor's daughter. I think due to the episode it could well be Amy's daughter. However with all the timey whimey stuff, it could be anyone lol.

River and the Doctor have definitely been lovers in her past at some point.

The regen thing is odd, but if it turns out to be Amy's daughter then I guess there could have been some interference from the time vortex and given her some time lord abilities.

Moffat has been the best thing about new who since it returned. Am looking forward to next week. Pirates and Lily Cole :)

Hom3r
01-05-2011, 12:58
Remind me again who/what is Omega?

Zing
01-05-2011, 13:09
The first ever timelord. There have been loads of possible clues

Stephen
01-05-2011, 13:21
Remind me again who/what is Omega?

He was the first time lord and the Doctor seemed to know him.

Paul
01-05-2011, 13:30
Simple. Dont read it.

Once an episode has aired, spoilers are not needed.

martyh
01-05-2011, 16:02
I've just watched it and i've now got a "time head" :spin:

River song is his wife i believe (or future wife) that was eluded to in the last series the one with the angels .But for some reason i can't get "the doctors daughter " out of my head ,i am starting to think that there is a link there somewhere and the writers are going to use this series to develop that character either for a spin off or addition to Dr Who or Torchwood

Lord Nikon
02-05-2011, 04:00
Well, we definitely saw a regeneration. Hmm, Couple of ideas come to mind, and a couple of questions.

1) Timelady - Romanadvortrelundar? But if it's a Timelady, why couldn't he hear her? Ecclestone / Tennant's doctors said they were the last one left, if there were any others they would know / be able to hear them in their mind.

2) A new Timelord? Would require Timelord ancestry, so, The Master's Daughter? The Doctor's? If so, then who with? River? Amy?

The Doctor is half human, so would the daughter become 1/4 TimeLord or are they dominant?

Will Matt Smith ever take ownership of the role?
Will the writers be able to create a personality for him that doesn't feel like it's been copied from earlier actors on cheap audio tapes that were then stored next to a magnet for 10 years?

Some of the information may come out on the 14th May episode - The Doctor's Wife.

watzizname
02-05-2011, 08:30
Well, we definitely saw a regeneration. Hmm, Couple of ideas come to mind, and a couple of questions.

1) Timelady - Romanadvortrelundar? But if it's a Timelady, why couldn't he hear her? Ecclestone / Tennant's doctors said they were the last one left, if there were any others they would know / be able to hear them in their mind.
Well the Silent's might have installed a perception filter into the space suit, as they seemed to be very big on the whole perception filter thing?

Also, given how the Gallifreyan lady who kept communicating with Wilfred in the End of Time episodes, seemed to be here a while before the Rassilon led Time Lords made their connection and arrived, i would have to guess that there are other (as yet) undetected Time Lords already free of the Time Lock?

Yes, i know she was there with Rassilon, holding her head in shame, was probably just an image projection, and they are Time Lords, but i always got the impression that the version speaking to Wilf, was from a future timeline.

2) A new Timelord? Would require Timelord ancestry, so, The Master's Daughter? The Doctor's? If so, then who with? River? Amy?

I've already said who i think her parents are, but it is of course possible that the Silents messed around with Amy at some point, and have used the doctors DNA to affect change in / create her pregnancy, or she could of course be Jenny.

The Doctor is half human, so would the daughter become 1/4 TimeLord or are they dominant?

Is he half human, i thought that was just the 1996 TV movie? a little like him being completely human in the Peter Cushing 'Dr Who' films..

Will the writers be able to create a personality for him that doesn't feel like it's been copied from earlier actors on cheap audio tapes that were then stored next to a magnet for 10 years?

I think he's completely taken control of the role, and like others before him, will continue to develop the character as the series progresses.

I think that most of the previous actors have borrowed aspects from those who came before, it helps with continuity, and is to some degree expected by the fans.

Some of the information may come out on the 14th May episode - The Doctor's Wife.
That would be nice, but like The Next Doctor (Christmas special) the title sounds deliberately misleading.

Steven Moffat wrote the first 2, and the last 2 episodes, so what we get between now and then could just be filler, with a healthy dollop of clues.

I haven't chased up any of the upcoming episode titles, so if I'm way off, please feel free to put me straight.

beeman
02-05-2011, 08:42
According to the former "Doctor Who" showrunner, he came up the number because he thought it was funny: "I could not resist! I was hooting. It'll never stick, though. That 13 lives is stuck in people's heads. It is, isn't it funny? Yet they only said 13 once or twice".

It was a bit more then once or twice. There was an entire series baised on the premise of the Doctors limited lives, involving his 13th incarnation. i suggest this runner should watch the series "trial of a timelord".

However is i remember rightly there is a way they can bypass the 13 lives limit thanks to RTD's pointless killing off of all the timelords before the first epp of the new era. From memory the 12 regeneration limit was neer a physical limit on a timelords body but in fact a limit imposed on timelords by the council. no more timelords mean no more council and so no limit imposed.

carlwaring
02-05-2011, 11:18
Will Matt Smith ever take ownership of the role? Will the writers be able to create a personality for him that doesn't feel like it's been copied from earlier actors on cheap audio tapes that were then stored next to a magnet for 10 years?
I don't see that at all but then again the only Docs I really remember are the ones from 2005 onwards so I can only assume your comment refers to previous incarnation before the series was canned in the 80s?

Paul
02-05-2011, 12:29
Since when has the Doctor been half human ?

martyh
02-05-2011, 12:43
Since when has the Doctor been half human ?

Not in any of the series i have ever watched,however in the 1996 film that idea was central to the theme of the film (which was intended for american audiences).I also believe that film should be erased from the history of mankind and anyone mentioning it again should be torn apart by cybermen,run over repeatedly by Daleks then dropped into a time vortex forever staring into the inane grin of sylvester mcoy

Stuart
02-05-2011, 13:04

The Master hid in human form. Maybe the previous regeneration of this little girl did, and the Doctor didn't mention when she turned back.

Possibly..

The Doctor is (if you discount the various movies including the 1996 one) full Timelord.

I actually think he has with this story. As for the personality comment, well. I think they have given him his own personality. OK, it's made up of parts of the previous doctors, but so was Peter Davison's.

Maybe.

Stephen
02-05-2011, 13:45
I don't see that at all but then again the only Docs I really remember are the ones from 2005 onwards so I can only assume your comment refers to previous incarnation before the series was canned in the 80s?

I don't think you can really comment stating Matt Smith hasn't taken control of the role if you haven't really watched any of the original 8 doctors before.

Matt has been brilliant in the role and put his own stamp on the part of the Doctor.

Stuart
02-05-2011, 15:43
I don't think you can really comment stating Matt Smith hasn't taken control of the role if you haven't really watched any of the original 8 doctors before.

Matt has been brilliant in the role and put his own stamp on the part of the Doctor.

I don't think Carl is saying that at all. I think he was quering Lord Nikon's comments about copying the doctor's personality from audiotapes of the previous doctors..

carlwaring
02-05-2011, 15:44
Well he's certainly different to both Chis' and David's interpretation.

I think so too :)

Lew
02-05-2011, 16:01
I'm really enjoying Matt's Doctor. He has a lot of the quirkiness and eccentricity of some of the earlier doctors with the energy of the RTD Doctors. I keep expecting him to reach into his pocket and pull out a bag of jelly babies. :D

Stuart
02-05-2011, 16:25
To me, the doctor should be be confident (almost to the point of arrogance), whimsical, sometimes moody, sometimes frightening, slightly excitable, but also vulnerable. They must also have a slight "alien" quality as if they don't always work with the same set of values we do.

Not all of the previous doctors had all of the qualities though, I'll admit. For instance, Tom Baker was confident (but sometimes arrogant), moody, excitable, frightening and definitely whimsical. Peter Davison was confident (but never arrogant), excitable, whimsical and sometimes vulnerable.

David Tennant actually played all those bits well, as did most of the other doctors (although not all doctors had all those characteristics). Matt Smith hasn't played all of them, but there is still time.

Lord Nikon
02-05-2011, 19:32
Confident? Often beyond the realm of competence.
Whimsical? Suppose so
Moody? Ok
Frightening? He couldn't scare a fly
Excitable? I'm sure he's on speed
Vulnerable? Only as vulnerable as cardboard is to rain
Alien quality? Umm, no

Thing is, the doctor is often all of those at the same time. Matt Smith doesn't seem capable of more than one per scene.

Stephen
02-05-2011, 19:52
Well he's certainly different to both Chis' and David's interpretation.

I think so too :)

While I love new Who, I still really love some of the classic Who and that's what I grew up with. My earliest memories are of Peter Davison but mostly my growi up involved Colin Baker and Slyvester McCoy. However I now have a huge collection of DVDs featuring all the old doctors and they all brought something new and different to the role but as things have changed all the Doctors have featured some of the traits that were part of their predecessors version of the Doctor.

Stuart
02-05-2011, 20:17
While I love new Who, I still really love some of the classic Who and that's what I grew up with. My earliest memories are of Peter Davison but mostly my growi up involved Colin Baker and Slyvester McCoy. However I now have a huge collection of DVDs featuring all the old doctors and they all brought something new and different to the role but as things have changed all the Doctors have featured some of the traits that were part of their predecessors version of the Doctor.

That's actually my view of things. The traits I listed are what I think are the basic traits of the character, but each doctor has been different, and may or may not have had some of those traits.

Pierre
03-05-2011, 22:33
Not in any of the series i have ever watched,however in the 1996 film that idea was central to the theme of the film (which was intended for american audiences).I also believe that film should be erased from the history of mankind and anyone mentioning it again should be torn apart by cybermen,run over repeatedly by Daleks then dropped into a time vortex forever staring into the inane grin of sylvester mcoy

I like the film,

I think the eighth doctor is one of the best, it's a crime we didn't get to see more.

A few elements from the film made it to the new series, the design of the tardis for one. (not identical I know but the 9th and 10th doctors tardis was a riff on the one from the film.

Stephen
03-05-2011, 22:59
I like the film,

I think the eighth doctor is one of the best, it's a crime we didn't get to see more.

A few elements from the film made it to the new series, the design of the tardis for one. (not identical I know but the 9th and 10th doctors tardis was a riff on the one from the film.

If you like the 8th Doctor you should listen to some of the Big Finish audio stories featuring him.

watzizname
07-05-2011, 18:22
So was Amy "just dreaming" all that we've seen in the last 2 episodes, or was she somehow tuning into one of the little girl's memories, or perhaps recalling one of her own?

Could it be that the sequence this image comes from, was the only real moment in the episodes?

http://uploader.ws/upload/201105/DWdotm001_1.jpg

I think it's fair to say that there's a lot more going on here, than first meets the eye.

I read somewhere that the lady above will also make an appearance in tonight's episode..

Pierre
08-05-2011, 00:26
It was a weak episode.

Obviously little unexplained minuets were in place to keep us alert (like Amy seeing the women through the hatch)

The trailers for the rest of the season look good. I hope they live up to expectations

carlwaring
08-05-2011, 09:00
I quite enjoyed it. Not sure how it was 'weak' just because it didn't move the overall season arc forward at all.

Pierre
08-05-2011, 09:44
I quite enjoyed it. Not sure how it was 'weak' just because it didn't move the overall season arc forward at all.

That's not reason I thought it wa weak. I just thought it was a rubbish story.

carlwaring
08-05-2011, 10:01
Oh right. Yeah. I did wonder whether to make that a question or not :) The story did remind my of ST:VOY I suppose, but I liked it well enough. Was a good "twist".

Mick Fisher
08-05-2011, 13:17
That's not reason I thought it wa weak. I just thought it was a rubbish story.
I thought I would give the new season a chance after being thoroughly disheartened by the previous series.

The first two Eps were encouraging but last nights effort slid back into garbage mode.

With story's and FX like this I doubt that even the Tennant/Piper combo could do much to lift it. :(

Very disappointing.

Lew
09-05-2011, 18:14
As a tribute to Elisabeth Sladen, her final classic-Who story is being shown tonight and tomorrow night on BBC 4

Doctor Who (Science Fiction Series)
Starting: 19:40 on Monday 9th May. Duration: 25 minutes
Showing on BBC 4 (107).

Starting: 20:05 on Monday 9th May. Duration: 25 minutes
Showing on BBC 4 (107).

Starting: 19:40 on Tuesday 10th May. Duration: 25 minutes
Showing on BBC 4 (107).

Starting: 20:05 on Tuesday 10th May. Duration: 25 minutes
Showing on BBC 4 (107).

Lew
14-05-2011, 21:12
Loved tonight's episode. Perfect balance between funny and scary. :D

Tezcatlipoca
14-05-2011, 21:52
Much better than last week's pirate episode (as expected, as this week's was written by Neil Gaiman).

The Doctor was correct... The TARDIS *is* sexy :erm: :D

Stuart
15-05-2011, 00:16
Another Excellent ep.

Suranne Jones is sexy as well..

Also, it was nice to see other areas of the Tardis, and I thought the old console room looked brilliant in HD.

carlwaring
15-05-2011, 00:29
...I thought the old console room looked brilliant in HD.
I didn't even see that that's what it was on first viewing; even though I knew it was due to be shown at some point in the season :o:

Yes, a good ep. But then I liked last week's too :)

adzii_nufc
15-05-2011, 01:18
Anyone notice at the end of each episode The Doctor makes references to Life & Death

Tonight ''Being alive, best thing there is, being alive right now''

As the season goes on I think these will continue to point toward the doctor knowing his future which I'd agree with because there is stuff you just cant hide from the doctor :p:

Mick Fisher
15-05-2011, 14:25
In complete contrast I thought it was the biggest load of old twaddle I have had the misfortune to nearly watch , giving up after 20 minutes.

I'm completely lost faith with the Smith and Gillam version of Who after last night's debacle and won't be wasting any more of my time trying to watch it.

Stephen
16-05-2011, 00:39
In complete contrast I thought it was the biggest load of old twaddle I have had the misfortune to nearly watch , giving up after 20 minutes.

I'm completely lost faith with the Smith and Gillam version of Who after last night's debacle and won't be wasting any more of my time trying to watch it.

Can I ask why you dint like it?

I loved everything about it and it gave some interesting new takes on some classic Who stuff. Gaimann is a great writer and this episode was so well done.

Mick Fisher
16-05-2011, 00:55
Can I ask why you dint like it?

I loved everything about it and it gave some interesting new takes on some classic Who stuff. Gaimann is a great writer and this episode was so well done.
Seemed more like a hammed up pantomime than scifi to me.

Anyway I just can't take anymore of Smith and Gillam. IMHO they are the worst Dr/Companion pair of all.

It was like a weight lifting from my shoulders when I removed the series link and deleted next weeks Ep. I should have done it ages ago but wrongly thought it might get better.

I glad you are enjoying it but it's just not for me.

Paul
16-05-2011, 01:02
Each to their own I guess.

Stuart
16-05-2011, 01:12
It's worth remembering that the original series could be quite variable. Some stories were good, some bad. This is something that a lot of people seem to forget, and something it has in common with the new series.

Another thing the old series did have in common with the new series is that some people always complained it wasn't as good as it used to be.

One thing I like about this episode is the way Neil Gaiman wrote it. He seems able, on occasion, to write in a style very similar to Douglas Adams (the Books, not the Hitchhikers TV series). There were parts of this story that felt almost as if Douglas Adams had written them (and at least one Douglas Adams reference if you can spot it).

beeman
16-05-2011, 11:15
There were parts of this story that felt almost as if Douglas Adams had written them (and at least one Douglas Adams reference if you can spot it).

hah i though it was just me, as soon as i heard the line i thought "restaurant".....

and yes one of my fav epps. IMO its up there with blink as one of the best "filler" epps and like blink beats many of the lesser storyline epps.

Stuart
16-05-2011, 11:32
hah i though it was just me, as soon as i heard the line i thought "restaurant".....

Actually, I don't think I spotted that one.

I was thinking of where Idris said that she, as the TARDIS rarely got the Doctor to where he wanted to go, but always where he needed to be. Reminded me of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency where Dirk announced that his own navigation method rarely got him where he wanted to go, but always got him where he needed to be.

beeman
16-05-2011, 16:15
Actually, I don't think I spotted that one.

I was thinking of where Idris said that she, as the TARDIS rarely got the Doctor to where he wanted to go, but always where he needed to be. Reminded me of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency where Dirk announced that his own navigation method rarely got him where he wanted to go, but always got him where he needed to be.

ah hah imissed that one.

The line i was mentioning was when they first left the tardis and Rory calls the planet "the scrayard at the end of the universe" as appose to the hitchikers sequal "The restaurant at the end of the universe" :)

carlwaring
16-05-2011, 16:21
I'm not a DA fan but I did like the classic TV version of HHGGTG and thought the same thing as you. Didn't catch the other one though.

Loved the ep too. But then I like them all. I'm easily pleased ;)

Pierre
17-05-2011, 00:21
Whilst I have been highly critical of this current Dr, I thought this episode was better.

I think I know what is holding this Dr back, and it's his companions. Amy and Rory just don't cut the mustard. I think Matt Smith still has it in him to be a good Doctor Who but Amy and Rory are just a snooze fest

v0id
17-05-2011, 00:58
I think I know what is holding this Dr back, and it's his companions. Amy and Rory just don't cut the mustard. I think Matt Smith still has it in him to be a good Doctor Who but Amy and Rory are just a snooze fest

I agree, there are one too many companions.
Rory should fill the 'Mickey' companion role, only appearing occasionally :D

Lord Nikon
17-05-2011, 01:03
I'd put the Matt Smith doctor and Rory into the 'Adric' companion role - left on a ship about to crash into a planet.

Chris
17-05-2011, 01:12
Not a chance, Rory is nowhere near as irritating as Adric.

v0id
17-05-2011, 04:35
'Adric' :Geez, you guys are showing your age now, huh? :D

Stephen
17-05-2011, 09:35
The most annoying companion will always be Mel! Lol.

Peter_
17-05-2011, 09:43
The most annoying companion will always be Mel! Lol.
Well it was Bonnie langford, but anything to do with the Sylvester Mccoy period was very bad and nearly killed of the series for good.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/63.jpg

Stephen
17-05-2011, 09:46
I really liked the 7th Doctor, it's the one I remember the most. He had some great stories and was rather mysterious. Ace was a great companion.

Chris
17-05-2011, 09:58
Ace was a two dimensional, walking cliche. And the show during its final three seasons under John Nathan-Turner and Andrew Cartmel veered alarmingly from the sublime (Remembrance of the Daleks, The Curse of Fenric) to the utterly ridiculous (The Happiness Patrol) via the tooth-jarring, pseudo-highbrow (Ghost Light) and the mediocre (Survival - irony of ironies, because it didn't).

Nevertheless, the show held its own reasonably well during that period and it really only died off because Michael Grade hates science fiction and actively sought to undermine it. It was scheduled against Coronation Street, with predictable ratings results.

Stuart
17-05-2011, 10:23
Sad, I know, but I still think the heavy weapons dalek was cool..

Paul
17-05-2011, 10:24
the Sylvester Mccoy period was very bad and nearly killed of the series for good.
Nonsense, Michael Grade nearly killed it off, no one else.

I really liked the 7th Doctor, it's the one I remember the most. He had some great stories and was rather mysterious. Ace was a great companion.
I loved them as well, one of my favourite pairings (my other two favs were both from the Jon Pertwee era).

beeman
17-05-2011, 10:32
....to the utterly ridiculous (The Happiness Patrol).....

Ridiculous yes but as far as im concerned one of the BEST multi-parter epp ever. As a kid the idea of a giant evil Berty Bassit was the ONLY Dr who monster that ever scared me.

Killer sweets :shocked:

dilli-theclaw
17-05-2011, 10:35
HHHmmm Peri :)

What with her and Servalan from Blakes 7 I think my puberty was sorted ;)

carlwaring
17-05-2011, 10:58
I agree, there are one too many companions.
There's was, quite regularly, more than one companion with the Doc in old Who. (IIRC :p:)

Stuart
17-05-2011, 11:41
Indeed, I think every doctor (from William Hartnell until Peter Davidson anyway has had at least one occassion when they have had more than one assistant.

Chris
18-05-2011, 00:08
Multiple companions was the norm rather than the exception in classic Who. Sarah Jane Smith was the first regular solo companion (notwithstanding any odd occasions in the 60s I'm unaware of) - prior to her even when the Doctor had only one 'assistant' there was almost always at least one member of UNIT in the story.

techguyone
18-05-2011, 10:54
That's right the 3rd Doctor (Jon Pertwee) was 'marooned' on Earth for being a naughty time lord (actually budgetary constraints) and UNIT were around a lot along with Jo Grant.

Yes I'm an old git, I remember all that.

Dave9946
20-05-2011, 17:23
Is it just me or has this years series got a far more grown up feel to it so far than in previous years since it came back?. Almost like it's finally trying to rid itself of the "it's just a kids show" label to a more serious family show?.

carlwaring
20-05-2011, 18:02
Well it has always been described as a Family show anyway but yes, this year does seem to have seen a re-calibration of the scare-o-meter :)

Stuart
20-05-2011, 18:21
It is a family show. Even RTD said that, and apparently that was the reason he would not allow The Doctor to appear on Torchwood (he felt that associating the character in an adult show would devalue Doctor Who's family appeal).

But, one thing that people forgot (not saying you have) is that kids love to be scared. Steven Moffat appears to enjoy (and is good at) scaring people without losing the family appeal of the show.

Pierre
23-05-2011, 00:25
This doctor has not had any scary adventures......

Anyway latest episode, not bad.

I expect to be wrong, but I'm calling that doppleganger doctor will survive the next episode and that it will be him that was on fact killed in the first episode.

No doubt there will be various twist and turns but that's my guess, what odds are anyone going to give me?

Paul
23-05-2011, 00:34

Anyway latest episode, not bad.

I expect to be wrong, but I'm calling that doppleganger doctor will survive the next episode and that it will be him that was on fact killed in the first episode.

No doubt there will be various twist and turns but that's my guess, what odds are anyone going to give me?
Actually, thats a pretty good theory for now.

carlwaring
23-05-2011, 00:47
I wouldn't give you my Oods even if I had any..... oh, sorry. I mis-read that didn't I?! :D

Stuart
23-05-2011, 01:30

Bear in mind it is a family show so they can''t get away with what Hollywood counts as scary (ie Gore).

Dave9946
28-05-2011, 16:33
It is a family show. Even RTD said that, and apparently that was the reason he would not allow The Doctor to appear on Torchwood (he felt that associating the character in an adult show would devalue Doctor Who's family appeal).

But, one thing that people forgot (not saying you have) is that kids love to be scared. Steven Moffat appears to enjoy (and is good at) scaring people without losing the family appeal of the show.

But this sort of responce is my whole point. RTD never (as 99% of Dr Who fans know) created Doctor Who so it was never his show or idea to set such a basis as it being a family tv program. Thats what annoys me in that a person contracted by the BBC can take credit or claim for a job that he was paid to do that was created and set for 42 years earlyer. A strict guide on what he could do. Prehaps the real credit goes to those who kept an eye on the re-development of the series and must have set a litime on what could be re-developed.

There is little doubt RTD done a good job but SM is doing far better in modernising a great British TV show

carlwaring
28-05-2011, 18:05
But this sort of responce is my whole point. RTD never (as 99% of Dr Who fans know) created Doctor Who so it was never his show or idea to set such a basis as it being a family tv program.
For most of it's life, Doctor Who was broadcast in the Saturday early evening slot which was - and still is - designated as a "family viewing" slot. So therefore RTD was actually spot on.

There is little doubt RTD done a good job but SM is doing far better in modernising a great British TV show
But if RTD had not brought it back, SM would necessarily not be doing anything at all with it ;)

Chris
28-05-2011, 19:23
But this sort of responce is my whole point. RTD never (as 99% of Dr Who fans know) created Doctor Who so it was never his show or idea to set such a basis as it being a family tv program. Thats what annoys me in that a person contracted by the BBC can take credit or claim for a job that he was paid to do that was created and set for 42 years earlyer. A strict guide on what he could do. Prehaps the real credit goes to those who kept an eye on the re-development of the series and must have set a litime on what could be re-developed.

Doctor Who was commissioned by Sydney Newman, the head of Drama at the BBC, in 1963. It was, from the outset, intended as an informative and entertaining show for children and their families which is why, over the whole run of the series, it has almost always been shown in a family slot on an early Saturday evening.

There is a constituency of sic-fi uber nerds out there that think sic fi isn't being done properly unless it's dark and edgy. Thankfully the various producers of the show down the years have almost always ignored them.

Stuart
28-05-2011, 21:24

I never implied that RTD did anything more than than bring back a good show. I don't think he did either.

However, the fact is that when Doctor Who was created, it was intended to be an entertaining family show that was also entertaining for kids.

Why do you think they made such a thing of Susan being the Dr's granddaughter? They wanted a pretty girl to attract an adult male audience, but thought it would be inappropriate for a family to show to include an old man who lives with a teenage girl.

carlwaring
28-05-2011, 21:35
Thankfully the various producers of the show down the years have almost always ignored them.
Until now, unfortunately. Not that I'm not enjoying it :)

Stuart
28-05-2011, 21:36
There is a constituency of sic-fi uber nerds out there that think sic fi isn't being done properly unless it's dark and edgy. Thankfully the various producers of the show down the years have almost always ignored them.

That's one thing that irritates me about Sci-Fi. People think it has to be dark and slightly forboding..

It irritates me because it presents (IMO) a wholly unrealistic view of people. That's one area where I think Battlestar Galactica was massively unrealistic. In my experience, people under that much stress often use humour to combat it. No one used humour in that show.

Doctor Who has often been quite dark, but has always had some element of humour in the show (often with variable results, admittedly).

Stephen Moffet overdid the humour in the last series, but he seems to have the correct balance now.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Anyway, on to a different subject. Did everyone like the ending of today's episode?

Chris
28-05-2011, 21:39
Until now, unfortunately. Not that I'm not enjoying it :)

My five-year old was scared witless. It took about 10 minutes just to stop her crying and another half an hour to distract her sufficiently to send her to bed with a reasonable prospect of her not lying there thinking about it.

I enjoyed tonight's episode more than last week but boy, was it bleak. Proper horror movie stuff. Superb cliffhanger though.

Lord Nikon
28-05-2011, 22:43
Predictable cliffhangar, as is the fact that next week's ep is the last one before the hiatus.
So far it looks like -

The silence is an evolved form of the flesh which has travelled back to try to take over the earth. That's when they took Amy, leaving a flesh replica for the current time, also why the Tardis had problems detecting her pregnancy.

Prediction for the season - River was in the spacesuit seen in the first episode and the doctor killed was a flesh replica.

carlwaring
28-05-2011, 23:24
That's one area where I think Battlestar Galactica was massively unrealistic. In my experience, people under that much stress often use humour to combat it. No one used humour in that show.
I watched the pilot of that and no more. Hated it, for the very reason you mention.

Stephen Moffet overdid the humour in the last series, but he seems to have the correct balance now.
Can't say I agree with that.

Anyway, on to a different subject. Did everyone like the ending of today's episode?
I like to remain spoiler-free for Who so didn't see that coming at all!
:eeek:

Lew
29-05-2011, 17:51
"Reverse the jelly baby of the neutron flow!"

:rofl:

Stuart
29-05-2011, 19:52
Trailer for next week.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NLjHUKEro&feature=player_embedded

BenMcr
29-05-2011, 20:23
Did anyone watch Confidential? Think it's quite funny that SM keeps on finding ways to take digs at RTD

This week - ignoring the older Doctors - when talking about the 'Would you like a Jelly Baby'/'Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow'

Dave9946
29-05-2011, 23:24
Did anyone watch Confidential? Think it's quite funny that SM keeps on finding ways to take digs at RTD

This week - ignoring the older Doctors - when talking about the 'Would you like a Jelly Baby'/'Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow'

I used to really love watching the confidentials as there are a great insight to what goes on in the making of etc. But I simply dont get to watch them any longer as the missus wants hers shows on too and 90 mins for myself on a saturday night is to much to ask lol.

But I liked this weeks episode, plenty of action and a decent level of the scary meter. But I do have to wander with some opinion on the net in that is the series starting to get a little complex to follow?. Dont get me wrong as complex(ish) in sci-fi is good (as you want to see some things explained in a kind of proper to understand realistic sort of way). But I do think that Doctor Who should'nt go to far down that road and try to keep the episodes a bit easier to follow for which last nights needed full attention to follow.

Pierre
30-05-2011, 00:08
I need to watch the end of that episode again, there was a leap or two that didn't compute

carlwaring
30-05-2011, 00:11
...try to keep the episodes a bit easier to follow for which last nights needed full attention to follow.
Indeed. Case in point...
I need to watch the end of that episode again, there was a leap or two that didn't compute
:)

Dave9946
30-05-2011, 14:02
Or could it be more a case of there is nothing wrong with the stories as such but simply trying to fit to may scenes, action and script into some of the episodes. This weeks episode for example, turn your eye for a minute or nip to loo and your out of the episode and the rest is to hard to follow as you can so easily have missed an important part of dialog which without makes everything else more difficult to follow if you then watch a scene that makes little sence unless you catch a quick sentance a minute or 2 earlier.

Either cut a few scenes out for broadcast & stretch important info over a number scenes than have loads of relvent info in just a couple of scenes at once or add another 5 mins per episode. As it really is starting to look like they are trying to fit 50 mins plus of script into a 45 min episode.

Damien
31-05-2011, 18:23
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13594932

The Daleks are to be given "a rest" from Doctor Who, writer Steven Moffat has told the Radio Times.

Moffat, who is also the BBC television show's executive producer, said: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."

Woop!

BenMcr
31-05-2011, 19:24

Woop!What was the point of the redesign then?

Pierre
31-05-2011, 19:54

I watched it again, I assume it'll be explained in a future episode.

Damien
31-05-2011, 20:10
What was the point of the redesign then?

I don't know but thank god they have gone!

They now need to hold true to that statement and hold back from the Daleks for a few seasons. Maybe banish them altogether until Matt Smith's tenure as the doctor is finished. Imagine the impact of the 'big bad' reveal being the Daleks after years of absence, it would be much better than the anti-climax there is whenever they bring up the 'almost destroyed but not quite' Daleks for the umpteenth time.

I think the 'classic' Doctor Who villains have been underwhelming since the series had it's reboot. The Cybermen and Daleks are just boring to me. Whereas the Weeping Angels, as an example, give off a much more menacing feel. The Silence and the 'Satan' type evil that was in the 'The Impossible Planet' were much more interesting. I did like the Master however...

tink4rbell
31-05-2011, 20:11
I personally am not enjoying this series anywhere near as much as earlier ones :(

carlwaring
31-05-2011, 20:51
Such as?
I watched it again, I assume it'll be explained in a future episode.
What will?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

What was the point of the redesign then?
Dunno. Guess he had to use them at least once. It was Matt's first series after all :)

BenMcr
31-05-2011, 20:55
Dunno. Guess he had to use them at least once. It was Matt's first series after all :)Another example of the change everything to do with the RTD years

Pierre
31-05-2011, 21:15
Such as?

How the Dr knew Amy was a facsimile

What will? please see above

I can see that you're one of those really annoying people. I may have to use my ignore button

BenMcr
31-05-2011, 21:26
Because he already knew of 'The Flesh' and what it was. The reason he went there is to find out whether you could mistake one for Human.

Which is why he allowed The Flesh to copy him in the first place and then swapped with 'The Flesh Doctor', to see if Amy would treat the The Flesh version the same as him if she though it was him - as they had been doing with Amy

Pierre
31-05-2011, 22:06
Because he already knew of 'The Flesh' and what it was. The reason he went there is to find out whether you could mistake one for Human.

Which is why he allowed The Flesh to copy him in the first place and then swapped with 'The Flesh Doctor', to see if Amy would treat the The Flesh version the same as him if she though it was him - as they had been doing with Amy

But that still doesn't explain how he knew.

I like to think I'm not particularly slow, in fact I take pride in being able follow complicated plot lines.

I even understood Donnie Darko.

I don't think the end of that episode was sufficiently easy to follow, for me anyway. But what do I know, I still thought Rory was an Auton.

For me, there's not enough craft in the story telling at the moment.

carlwaring
31-05-2011, 23:08
Well yeah. That's one thing. I thought there were more :)

BenMcr
31-05-2011, 23:51
But that still doesn't explain how he knew.Can agree with that. Would have been better to have the last two episodes right after the season opening, and then the end of the episode triggered by something else.

Would have tracked a bit better. We know the Doctor knows about The Flesh and that he knows something is wrong with Amy etc

Damien
01-06-2011, 09:58
Should we read into Rory backing away from Amy at the Doctor's Insistence? It seemed quite odd, you would have expected him to offer more resistance. Does it mean he trusts the Doctor without question or was it simply a narrative convenience?

Stephen
01-06-2011, 10:15

Simply the Doctor is a genius and knew straight after running the scan on Amy that something wasn't right :)

As he knew about the Flesh he wanted to go check it out. That's why he planned on dropping Amy and Rory off so he could go investigate.

Stuart
01-06-2011, 10:39
Simply the Doctor is a genius and knew straight after running the scan on Amy that something wasn't right :)

Which would be why they made a point of showing the pregnancy scan being inconclusive in several episodes..

As he knew about the Flesh he wanted to go check it out. That's why he planned on dropping Amy and Rory off so he could go investigate.

Indeed.. The team (under Steven Moffat) seem to be very good at introducing little, apparently insignificant, details into stories that only become significant when you've seen later episodes.

Stephen
01-06-2011, 11:18

Woop!

They aren't really going to be gone for that long.

Moffat tweeted yesterday and responded simply by saying they are taking a rest for this series. Yet again the press have totally exagerated the story and made it bigger than it needed to be.

Pierre
01-06-2011, 11:22
Indeed.. The team (under Steven Moffat) seem to be very good at introducing little, apparently insignificant, details into stories that only become significant when you've seen later episodes.

There's subtlety and there's subtlety.

I'm all for putting in clues and nuggets of information throughout a story arc, bad wolf and all that.

And fair enough for having a go, I just think it was done poorly.

IMO, it was either written badly or delivered badly.

For things such as this the big reveal should come at the end with a:

"I knew there was something going on, so that's it" - moment for the viewer.

Not - "WTF just happened there, I don't get it" Then have to watch the scene several times again to get a part understanding.

The story shouldn't have to rely on Simply the Doctor is a genius and for the viewer to faithfully just accept whatever happens.

Obviously Amy has been gone for at least 7-8 months.

Who's taken her, where has she gone, for what purpose.

I know that will all no doubt be explained, but there should have been an incident that has happened in a previous episode that facilitated her abduction, and that at the moment the doctor revealed this Amy to be a copy, the audience could go " I bet she was taken in that episode when..........."

They should even have thrown a curve so you thought you knew when she had been taken but it turned out to be some other time.

If you follow me.

The end of that last episode just seemed rushed and just didn't do it for me.

carlwaring
01-06-2011, 11:25
Moffat tweeted yesterday and responded simply by saying they are taking a rest for this series. Yet again the press have totally exagerated the story and made it bigger than it needed to be.
Now there's a shock; not :rolleyes:

Stephen
01-06-2011, 11:25
She was taken at the start of the series by the silents. It was fairly obvious really. It was not too subtle at all.

As soon as Amy told the doc she was pregnant then later in the episode said she wasn't, that is when he ran the scan and knew something was not right with her.

carlwaring
01-06-2011, 11:26
I should have spotted that :(
:bigcry:

Stuart
01-06-2011, 12:11
They aren't really going to be gone for that long.

I remember Moffat saying something before the start of the series about how he would bring the Daleks back if there was a good story to bring them back in. I don't think that's changed.

Pierre
01-06-2011, 13:27
She was taken at the start of the series by the silents. It was fairly obvious really. It was not too subtle at all.

As soon as Amy told the doc she was pregnant then later in the episode said she wasn't, that is when he ran the scan and knew something was not right with her.

Thanks... didn't spot it.

I'll have to go back and check it out.

watzizname
02-06-2011, 05:23
Surprised someone hasn't posted this already, but hey.

This is purportedly regarding the final episode of this series..

Probably best not to get too excited, as this was most likely posted by an overly enthusiastic fan, hoping that if he post it up, it'll come true?

IMDB has David Tennant's final appearance down as 8 October 2011.
Episode 13, series 6 (Title unknown)

Starring: Matt Smith, David Tennant and Peter Davison as the Doctor..
Other characters included are: Amy Pond, River Song, Rory Williams, Winston Churchill, Young Rory, The Silent, Dorium Maldavar, Malohkeh, Anderson , Young Mels and Dr. Kent .

No hint of the story (Shock, horror)

Nothing on Wikipedia though, they still have his final appearance as 2010.
Maybe the poster doesn't have editing privileges enabled over there ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1824359/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1824359/)
Really can't see the Moff going to all the trouble of swearing anyone in the know, to absolute secrecy, only to give IMDB the info, but it would be nice. :)

Stephen
02-06-2011, 09:35
Imdb can be edited by anyone though so it is probably nonsense.

Dave9946
02-06-2011, 09:51
In the same way anyone could say Davros is in the final episode and will be played by Tom Baker!.

Stuart
02-06-2011, 10:48
Imdb can be edited by anyone though so it is probably nonsense.

Unless they have changed the procedure since I last submitted anything, anyone can submit changes to IMDB data, but it's not published until it's verified.

joglynne
02-06-2011, 16:01
I have just been reading TV & Satellite week and they are reporting that this coming episode will see the return of the Cybermen, the Silurians, and the Sontarians as well as Dorian Maldaway. In the interview Karen Gillan says We end on such a huge revelation, everyone will need the Summer to digest it before we come back in the Autumn she also confirms that we will find out the true identity of River Song in this coming episode.

Sorry if all this is old news and that I can't supply a link.

Dave9946
02-06-2011, 20:05
Unless they have changed the procedure since I last submitted anything, anyone can submit changes to IMDB data, but it's not published until it's verified.

Verified by who?. If there is a no comment or no responce from an official rights holder (the BBC) then in theory they cant and wont remove any information simply because there has never been a responce to deny or verify anything. So a well educated guess or hearsay will on such tv shows never be denied so anyone who says anything on such matters will have that information stand untill other official information does get released.

Stuart
03-06-2011, 18:06
Verified by who?. If there is a no comment or no responce from an official rights holder (the BBC) then in theory they cant and wont remove any information simply because there has never been a responce to deny or verify anything. So a well educated guess or hearsay will on such tv shows never be denied so anyone who says anything on such matters will have that information stand untill other official information does get released.

They do employ editors..

Hom3r
04-06-2011, 20:32
I said River was Amy's daughter

Stephen
04-06-2011, 20:36
I think it was fairly obvious that is what the outcome would be.

What an amazing episode :) loved the title of the next episode.

Hom3r
04-06-2011, 20:47
I am right in thinking that the Doctor is River's father?

BenMcr
04-06-2011, 20:48
Nope he's not

Peter_
04-06-2011, 20:48
No the time vortex produced her during the wedding night nuptials.:D

Somehow I doubt even timelords commit incest.

Stephen
04-06-2011, 20:51

Erm.....no

Didn't you see the last five minutes?

Dave9946
04-06-2011, 20:52
And the greatest cliffhanger since the series came back that we was told to expect that needed a 3 month break to digest was where exacally?

Not exacally the great change there lives forever cliffhanger like they wanted us to expect was it?. Dont get me wrong it was a great episode, but please give a propper reason to have a mid series break than the ultimate cliffhanger it was'nt.

Hom3r
04-06-2011, 21:01
Erm.....no

Didn't you see the last five minutes?

Then why did the Doctor go funny when she told him who she was. (he said something along the lines " but we (kissing action)"

Tezcatlipoca
04-06-2011, 21:11
Then why did the Doctor go funny when she told him who she was. (he said something along the lines " but we (kissing action)"

Maybe because he has just found out that he has kissed his friend's daughter?

He isn't the father, Rory is.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

So... Spacesuit-Girl = River/Melody too?

Fits, but...

When did The Silence take her & why stick her in a spacesuit?

Why didn't River remember? [Or did she, but just didn't let on]

One popular theory about River's crime is that she killed the Doctor... which her being the spacesuit-girl would fit with... but why? And how will they get around the future-Doctor's death, given that killing off Matt Smith's Doctor permanently (& therefore also stopping there being any after him) wouldn't be very good for the series.

I hope SM answers everything in the second half of the series.

carlwaring
04-06-2011, 21:19
And the greatest cliffhanger since the series came back that we was told to expect that needed a 3 month break to digest was where exacally?
Right at the end for the majority of viewers, I suspect, who actually had no clue because they don't read internet forums that speculate on these things :)

Plus.... nothing like a bit of hype ;)

Dave9946
04-06-2011, 21:40
Right at the end for the majority of viewers, I suspect, who actually had no clue because they don't read internet forums that speculate on these things :)

Plus.... nothing like a bit of hype ;)

Any internet forums that anyone would have read would have given several "spoilers" as to the true identity. So there was never any single speculation to have said for sure to have spoilt it for anyone. And the itentity was not really mentioned as being the cliffhanger as such only that we were told we would find out the identity and that there would be this great cliffhanger. Dont think anyone said for sure they would be the same event?.

Lew
04-06-2011, 21:54
I hope everyone watched to the end of the credits, btw.

Paul
04-06-2011, 21:56

Why ?

Tezcatlipoca
04-06-2011, 21:59
There was a very brief teaser for the next episode.

carlwaring
04-06-2011, 23:11
I did, but I'd stopped the recording by then :( (right on the end slate)

Pierre
05-06-2011, 01:04
[/COLOR]No the time vortex produced her during the wedding night nuptials.:D

Somehow I doubt even timelords commit incest.

The time vortex didn't "produce her". She is Amy and rory's child, the time vortex just time lorded her.

Blackened
05-06-2011, 01:05
He did say 'during the "nuptials" '.
I'm confused about time lords committing incest though.

Pierre
05-06-2011, 01:11
I'm very critical of this doctor,

However I really enjoyed this episode. I considered the possibility of Song being the girl from the first episode but couldn't say for certain.

I think the story of David tenant coming back interesting and highly plausible. Lot sure about peter davidson though

Stephen
05-06-2011, 02:36

Because he kissed the daughter of his best friend.

River was the girl in the space suit and that's why it was hinted that she killed the doctor at some point, I guess.

Pierre
05-06-2011, 05:43
Because he kissed the daughter of his best friend.

River was the girl in the space suit and that's why it was hinted that she killed the doctor at some point, I guess.

She also has timelord DNA. Because when Amy and Rory had it away in the TARDIS while it was travelling in the time vortex some how it's DNA was altered.

So that does make river a timelord, sort of.

watzizname
05-06-2011, 06:53
So... Spacesuit-Girl = River/Melody too?

Fits, but...

When did The Silence take her & why stick her in a spacesuit?

Why didn't River remember? [Or did she, but just didn't let on]

One popular theory about River's crime is that she killed the Doctor... which her being the spacesuit-girl would fit with... but why? And how will they get around the future-Doctor's death, given that killing off Matt Smith's Doctor permanently (& therefore also stopping there being any after him) wouldn't be very good for the series.

I hope SM answers everything in the second half of the series.
Everything certainly seems to point to the regenerating little girl being River.

I believe the Doctor said that Amy was taken before they went to America, so was their prisoner all this time. I'd have to surmise then, that the Silence only swapped pregnant Amy, and eye patch lady did the rest.

As for putting her in a spacesuit.. no definite thoughts on that, but.. There was a lot of talk about fashioning the baby into a weapon. The doctor was also described as a weapon, and i would guess that they would want to control their weapon. If it was known that the baby had "a time head" it's likely they wanted it for those qualities, especially the ability to fly a T.A.R.D.I.S. If you remember, we've so far seen 2 other T.A.R.D.I.S's, the first one in The Lodger episode, and the second in The Impossible Astronaut, which also happened to be the same location where the little girl in the spacesuit first appeared.

And a possible motivation for requiring their own Time Lord to pilot their knockoff T.A.R.D.I.S instead of one of their own people, could be that it's believed by those involved, that only a Time Lord can.. Remember The alliance believed that "Only the Doctor can fly the T.A.R.D.I.S" in The Pandorica Opens?

Anyways.. I think (for now at least) that baby River was taken, conditioned (similar to what happened to Captain Jack's brother Gray in Torchwood) and while under the big bad's control, kills the Flesh Doctor (who has been playing decoy for our Doctor) at least until she is eventually freed by our Doctor. Her ending up in the Stormcage, might be because those who sentence her, recognize that the Flesh doctor was a real person in his own right?

One thing I'm still stuck on, is that when the Doctor and River were examining the empty space suit, it was mentioned that when the little girl got scared, the suit's communication systems automatically established contact with the most powerful person in the land, in this case, the President of the United States. Is it me, or does this seem like a pretty dumb feature to incorporate into the suit of someone who should be keeping a ridiculously low profile? The only thing i can think of, is that the Doctor travels back and rigs it to do that, at a later date..

Peter_
05-06-2011, 08:40
[/COLOR]

The time vortex didn't "produce her". She is Amy and rory's child, the time vortex just time lorded her.
I mean into the time lord type person while they celebrated their wedding night it altered the unborn child.

Dave9946
05-06-2011, 12:37
Does anyone think this is by design or fault that this could be a big clue to how the Time Lords came to be with the reguards to being able to regenerate or there prolonged life etc with what we found out about the baby last night?. Will this be mentioned in the second half of the series, will it turn out by whats already been said that the baby will have 2 hearts?. Did the baby as an adult ever have any babies and therefor Time Lord to?.

So many future possable options for stories.

BenMcr
05-06-2011, 12:40
I think they were hinting that the Time Lords were created by exposure to the Vortex, and weren't always so. So it's quite possible that River/Melody is a human Time Lord(ish)

Having two hearts could have something that the race that became the Time Lords already had

Dave9946
05-06-2011, 12:48
Well since I started watching Dr Who back in the original days I always thought that the Time Lords evolved from humans anyway for some reason (dont recall it really being hinted at though) due to far to many a connection between the both over the years that I'd not think is show budget related.

There were some interesting stories from the McCoy eara that hinted a connection between the Time Lords (Silver Nemesis & Battlefield to name 2) and Earth history. So possably something they will comfirm or carry on with from the original series but in a more modern way for the new viewer?.

Blackened
05-06-2011, 13:12
So if River Song is the young girl in the space suit and the Doctor's killer/in Stormcage for it aaaaand it'd probably turn out that she's killed the 'flesh' Doctor - why doesn't she already know it [that's she killed the flesh Doctor]? I mean, she's always so sad about this looming ending?

joglynne
05-06-2011, 14:20
My head hurts. Is River still from the future or have we caught up with her in her present?

BenMcr
05-06-2011, 14:22
My head hurts. Is River still from the future or have we caught up with her in her present?Well as she's just been born we've sort of caught up. However considering the Doctor at the start of the series who was 200 years older than the one we are currently watching had got a diary with some events that matched River's, I would think we've not got the point where they've run out of things they have done together

Kymmy
05-06-2011, 14:54
It was hinted at quite early on that River had killed the Doctor and that's why she was in prison.. I think it might have been the episode with the religious commandos and the angels (S5e4 The time of Angels)

BenMcr
05-06-2011, 14:57
Though considering she doesn't actually seem to be spent much time inside the Stormcage you wonder why they bother lol

Stephen
05-06-2011, 15:19
Does anyone think this is by design or fault that this could be a big clue to how the Time Lords came to be with the reguards to being able to regenerate or there prolonged life etc with what we found out about the baby last night?. Will this be mentioned in the second half of the series, will it turn out by whats already been said that the baby will have 2 hearts?. Did the baby as an adult ever have any babies and therefor Time Lord to?.

So many future possable options for stories.
The Baby, or River is still human but with some Timelord DNA added due to the Time Vortex.

The Doctor has to hearts as he is from Galifrey. That has no bearing on the Timelord thing.

Lord Nikon
05-06-2011, 15:32
Just another small point, Rory is described as 'a very good man' and went to war... The very good man River is jailed for killing doesn't have to be the doctor.

BenMcr
05-06-2011, 15:36
Although in Confidential, when SM was talking about the Good Man I'm sure he was referring to the Doctor and the army he brought together

Tezcatlipoca
05-06-2011, 15:52
Everything certainly seems to point to the regenerating little girl being River.

I believe the Doctor said that Amy was taken before they went to America, so was their prisoner all this time. I'd have to surmise then, that the Silence only swapped pregnant Amy, and eye patch lady did the rest.

As for putting her in a spacesuit.. no definite thoughts on that, but.. There was a lot of talk about fashioning the baby into a weapon. The doctor was also described as a weapon, and i would guess that they would want to control their weapon. If it was known that the baby had "a time head" it's likely they wanted it for those qualities, especially the ability to fly a T.A.R.D.I.S. If you remember, we've so far seen 2 other T.A.R.D.I.S's, the first one in The Lodger episode, and the second in The Impossible Astronaut, which also happened to be the same location where the little girl in the spacesuit first appeared.

And a possible motivation for requiring their own Time Lord to pilot their knockoff T.A.R.D.I.S instead of one of their own people, could be that it's believed by those involved, that only a Time Lord can.. Remember The alliance believed that "Only the Doctor can fly the T.A.R.D.I.S" in The Pandorica Opens?

Anyways.. I think (for now at least) that baby River was taken, conditioned (similar to what happened to Captain Jack's brother Gray in Torchwood) and while under the big bad's control, kills the Flesh Doctor (who has been playing decoy for our Doctor) at least until she is eventually freed by our Doctor. Her ending up in the Stormcage, might be because those who sentence her, recognize that the Flesh doctor was a real person in his own right?

One thing I'm still stuck on, is that when the Doctor and River were examining the empty space suit, it was mentioned that when the little girl got scared, the suit's communication systems automatically established contact with the most powerful person in the land, in this case, the President of the United States. Is it me, or does this seem like a pretty dumb feature to incorporate into the suit of someone who should be keeping a ridiculously low profile? The only thing i can think of, is that the Doctor travels back and rigs it to do that, at a later date..

I thought that as Amy had been swapped before America it may not have even been The Silence who took her? When we saw her taken by The Silence, wasn't that when they were already in the USA, so surely they only took the Ganger Amy?

Spacesuit & knockoff TARDIS... yeah, could all be necessary for their (apparent) plan to control Melody & use her to kill The Doctor.

As you say, though, the communication system seems an odd feature...

So if River Song is the young girl in the space suit and the Doctor's killer/in Stormcage for it aaaaand it'd probably turn out that she's killed the 'flesh' Doctor - why doesn't she already know it [that's she killed the flesh Doctor]? I mean, she's always so sad about this looming ending?

- Maybe she forgot or had her memory wiped.

- Maybe she did remember, did know, but couldn't say anything or do anything as it had to play out as it had already played out.

And we don't know that it was a flesh Doctor...

Though considering she doesn't actually seem to be spent much time inside the Stormcage you wonder why they bother lol

You have to wonder why she is even there in the first place... If the "clerics" were the ones who wanted to user her as a weapon against The Doctor, why would they imprison her for [his?] murder?

Just another small point, Rory is described as 'a very good man' and went to war... The very good man River is jailed for killing doesn't have to be the doctor.

Good point... maybe it will turn out that she killed her father...

Hom3r
05-06-2011, 16:17
I'm very critical of this doctor,

However I really enjoyed this episode. I considered the possibility of Song being the girl from the first episode but couldn't say for certain.

I think the story of David tenant coming back interesting and highly plausible. Lot sure about peter davidson though

Well DT could come back using the same reason as Amy, and he splats MS, but this would deny MS regeneration, but would be one helva twist.

Blackened
05-06-2011, 16:33
And we don't know that it was a flesh Doctor...True - but what are the alternatives? She killed the real Doctor so no more Doctor or replaced by River Song? Hard to say really as it could be anyone she killed anyway. Just the way she's on about 'this being it' and the last this that and the other and Amy telling the girl in the Space Suit she killed The Doctor. lol. Who knows. :confused:

Jon T
11-06-2011, 16:47
Is it just me, or are eye patch woman and River Song/Melody just a bit too similar too each other?

adzii_nufc
11-06-2011, 17:11
Cant be. If you remember the Ecclestone series in which Rose Tyler touched herself from the past.

Jon T
11-06-2011, 17:46
Cant be. If you remember the Ecclestone series in which Rose Tyler touched herself from the past.

One could easily be a ganger.

Dave9946
11-06-2011, 21:29
Well SM does try to complicate the series arc, but please get rid of the series arc and give us memorable eps and scenes that have nothing to do with past current and furure eps. Just give us a propper series barring a 2 episode series ender!!!.

dilli-theclaw
15-06-2011, 09:29
Unfortunately I saw over on digital spy that dr who has been renewed for another 14 episodes.

I wish the BBC would just get rid of It now.

Lew
15-06-2011, 12:28
No-one's forcing you to watch it.

dilli-theclaw
15-06-2011, 12:44
No-one's forcing you to watch it.Can you tell me where I said I was forced to watch it?

Surely you're not trying to imply I shouldn't state my opinion because it disagrees with yours?

Anyway it WAS good when it came back - but now it's just getting worse.

I'd rather it stopped while it was still good and not faded away which it is doing.

Lord Nikon
15-06-2011, 13:48
it's like I said, Matt Smith doesn't have the presence to be an effective Doctor. No matter how effective the scripting he can't bring it off, and he doesn't have the right dynamic to bolster a weaker script.

We've reached the mid season hiatus and a cliff hangar and for the first time since watching Dr Who (Tom Baker years originally, but seen earlier episodes as I find them) I don't find myself particularly bothered about solving that cliffhanger.

Chris
15-06-2011, 14:29
Sorry to hear you're disenchanted, Dilli and Nikon, but the statistics show that for the audience generally, Doctor Who is as popular as ever. It's not going to get cancelled any time soon, nor is there likely to be anyone at the top of the BBC food chain peering down and demanding the heads of Stephen Moffat or Matt Smith on a platter.

dilli-theclaw
15-06-2011, 14:34
Yup I know it won't be, it's just a real shame it'll get more and more crap. I do hope that when it does finish they actually do a proper last episode. I get much more wound up by none finished series ;)

I am still watching it in the hope it picks up. I have only really liked two episodes so far this year.

But I will tune in when it returns in the hope it gets better :tu: