PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Roast Potatoes

Welshchris
22-11-2010, 09:19
Anyone here cook? lol

I have an electric Oven, what number does it need to be put on and how long to cook roast potatoes?

I use Maris Piper spuds and Cooking oil.

Chris
22-11-2010, 09:22
200˚C.

Put your spuds in cold water, watch for when they boil and time them boiling for 7 minutes.

Drain, return to the pan, add a generous glug of oil and a large handful of oregano.

Put the lid on, shake gently up and down and side to side about half a dozen times.

Tip the lot in a roasting tin and put it in the oven for about 45 minutes (if it's a fan oven) ... maybe a little longer if not. But you'll be able to tell when they're looking crispy anyway.

Kymmy
22-11-2010, 09:27
How long is a piece of string as it depends very much on which method you use.

I preboil (salted water) them until the outside goes a bit soft, drain the water and then shake in the dry pan to fluff up the outsides,.

Place on a hot tray then brush/drizzle with a bit of oil and some seasoning (I prefer olive oil though sunflower/veg will do and for the seasoning you can use a combination of salt/pepper, paprika, garlic powder or even herbs like rosemary..etc..

A trick from Jamie Oliver is half way through cooking grab a potato masher and gently press down on them.. you're not squashing them flat but instead breaking the skin surface at the sides to make them more crunchier..

As for temp/times I cook at 200C in my fan oven and it can take anything from 40-60 minutes depending on how crispy you want them and also how big/precooked they were to begin with..

Also try ROOSTERS potatoes for a change as they do roast nicely and tend to be more consistant than others though Maris piper (I grow my own) do nice as well

DocDutch
22-11-2010, 13:05
my trick... 15 mins boiling in salted water. throw them about in a cif so you rough them up a bit and straight into the oven for 45mins.

now it depends on what we are having with the roasties as to if I would just dump them in with the meat or roast them seperately.

temp around 180c for 60 mins or 200 for 45mins

MovedGoalPosts
22-11-2010, 13:48
what's wrong with Aunt Bessies - 30 mins at 220 deg - job done :D

superbiatch
22-11-2010, 13:58

Yuck!

I like mine par boiled for 5-10 minutes in slightly salted water then bunged into a roasting tin with some sunflower oil drizzled over the top. Pop a chopped onion in the roasting tin too for flavour and put on 180 for almost an hour ;)

Chris
22-11-2010, 14:04
my trick... 15 mins boiling in salted water. throw them about in a cif

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/11/29.jpg

I prefer olive oil myself ... :erm:

;)

Osem
22-11-2010, 14:09
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/11/29.jpg

;)

Yeah but Cif gives a nice citrus tang to cut through the grease... :D

I tend to very gently parboil the potatoes then put them in a baking tray in the hot oven to dry out along with a similar tray of oil for roasting. Once the oil's nice and hot I pour it onto the spuds. This avoids the nasty spitting and splattering you get with drops of water in hot oil and means you don't have to faff around basting all the spuds with a spoon or whatever.

Oh and I often add some unpeeled cloves of garlic, rock/sea salt and possibly some sprigs of rosemary to the roasties as they're roasting. Yummy!

DocDutch
22-11-2010, 14:23
http://www.onlinetipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Cif-cream.jpg

;)

yeah yeah.......you knew what I ment.... bloody mods always soo picky on the poor Dutchman :D

danielf
22-11-2010, 14:55
I tells you: it's sour grapes because we're better at Football :)

Kymmy
22-11-2010, 15:38
yeah yeah.......you knew what I ment.... bloody mods always soo picky on the poor Dutchman :D

I think you meant SIEVE ;)

joglynne
22-11-2010, 16:46
Totally calorie laden but for a change try making Hedgehog Roast Potatoes. With slithers of garlic in the cuts they are utterly, mind blowingly gorgeous. Not quite as good looking as mine but here's a photo.

.....https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/12/105.jpg

Cut off a slice along the length of each raw potato to make one flat side. Make lots vertical cuts into the uncut side of each potato, almost to the base, you can rub on some garlic purée or push thin slithers of fresh garlic in the cuts.

Place the potatoes on a tray and drizzle with oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

As they have been sliced they don't take as long to cook as traditional roast potatoes so you only need to roast them for 30 - 35 minutes , until they are golden-brown and crispy. ( sorry I don't know the gas equivalent but I do mine at 180 degrees in my electric fan oven)

Hom3r
22-11-2010, 17:02
Get any goose fat roast spuds from any high street supermarket.

Kymmy
22-11-2010, 17:43
Not good when your partner is a veggie!!!

danielf
22-11-2010, 17:45

I'd hate to have a veggie partner as well!!!

Dai
22-11-2010, 17:51
I'd hate to have a veggie partner as well!!!

Apparently I'm a bit of a couch potato.

Hom3r
22-11-2010, 17:55

Don't tell them;)

An old work friends other half is a veggie and loves the chips from great yarmouth market, which are cooked in beef dripping. :drool: She hasn't told him

Osem
28-11-2010, 13:51

No probs, I believe you can now buy goose fat made from purely vegetarian geese. :D

Halcyon
28-11-2010, 14:53
You can also boil your potatoes so they are nearly done, then roll them in a blend of flour, herbs, and salt & pepper, then roast with a dab of oil drizzled on the top.

alferret
28-11-2010, 15:38
Par-boil the spuds (I only use Red Rooster)
Heat some rapeseed oil in a pan with some salt & pepper.
Add some salt & pepper to the drained par-boiled spuds in the saucepan and a good drizzle of olive oil. Shake gently to fluff up edges.
Add spuds to hot oil from oven, pop in the oven @ 190 for 30 mins, take them out and baste pop back in the oven for around 20-30 mins until golden brown.
Yummmm! Salivating already :)

Maggy
28-11-2010, 18:16
Don't tell them;)

An old work friends other half is a veggie and loves the chips from great yarmouth market, which are cooked in beef dripping. :drool: She hasn't told him

Oh yes the way chips used to come from the chippy...

SnoopZ
28-11-2010, 18:31

That's what i have, they are gorgeous!

Peter_
28-11-2010, 18:36
That's what i have, they are gorgeous!
I usually just buy everything preprepared from the veg section in Tesco including the roast potatoes and the mash.;)

If you really cannot be bothered cooking the meat then they also have preprepared single servings sliced roast beef in gravy for a pound in the frozen section.;)

Why peel when you can purchase it already to cook.;)

On the table in less than an hour without the effort.;)

SnoopZ
28-11-2010, 18:42
I usually just buy everything preprepared from the veg section in Tesco including the roast potatoes and the mash.;)

If you really cannot be bothered cooking the meat then they also have preprepared single servings sliced roast beef in gravy for a pound in the frozen section.;)

Just what i do ;) i hate cooking, although i hate vegies.

alferret
28-11-2010, 19:03

The effort makes it taste so much better though :D

Peter_
28-11-2010, 19:05
The effort makes it taste so much better though :D
It tastes just fine but with a lot less effort and no use of the peeler.:D

Kymmy
28-11-2010, 20:24
It tastes just fine but with a lot less effort and no use of the peeler.:D

Your comment shows exactly why people make their own..

You want something that tastes just fine then you buy ready made stuff.. Instead if you want stuff that tastes amazingly good then you take the time and effort to make them

Peter_
28-11-2010, 23:27
Your comment shows exactly why people make their own..

You want something that tastes just fine then you buy ready made stuff.. Instead if you want stuff that tastes amazingly good then you take the time and effort to make them
I make the Sunday lunch when the wife is in work and I also have to pick her up so preprepared is the easy option for me, if she does the Sunday lunch she does it the normal way.;)

AdamD
29-11-2010, 23:39
I just buy the frozen, prepared aunt bessie's potatoes to, much easier. (I know, I'm lazy heh)

Maggy
29-11-2010, 23:49

:shocking:

Yuck! If I'm going to have roast potatoes then I'm going to make my own properly and I NEVER EVER buy ready made gravy.I always make mine with the meat juices and veg water and flour.Also the day I can't make decent REAL mash is the day they prise the potato masher from my cold dead hand...;)

AdamD
30-11-2010, 00:29
Hmm, all this talk of how bad prepared stuff is, I'm half tempted to try making stuff from scratch, for once :P

Peter_
30-11-2010, 09:08
:shocking:

Yuck! If I'm going to have roast potatoes then I'm going to make my own properly and I NEVER EVER buy ready made gravy.I always make mine with the meat juices and veg water and flour.Also the day I can't make decent REAL mash is the day they prise the potato masher from my cold dead hand...;)
You seem to have forgotten that I am male and we like the easy route, tastes just like a carvery.:D

Peter_
30-11-2010, 09:24
And for the same reason It's all pre-prepared and will have lost most of the goodness.

I'm happy, and have the time, to make the effort so we can sit down to real food. The only cheat I use is with frozen Yorkshire puddings and that's only 'cos I don't have the correct tray or inclination to try and make them.
Its convenient for me and takes less time, I can do it the real way if required but as I tend not to have much of a chance for a sleep in on those Sundays what with taking the wife to work and back I just opt for the easy option.

Osem
30-11-2010, 09:33
Each to his/her own eh? ;)

Seriously, I'd prepare for a surprise, early hours, raid by the TSLDL* if I were you matey... :D

* Traditional Sunday Lunch Defence League

Peter_
30-11-2010, 09:35
Each to his/her own eh? ;)
Its edible and no one snubs it so job done.:D

Tuftus
30-11-2010, 15:50
You seem to have forgotten that I am male and we like the easy route, tastes just like a carvery.:D

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/11/1.jpg

Why not go the whole hog? :p:

Peter_
30-11-2010, 18:13
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/11/1.jpg

Why not go the whole hog? :p:
No they do actually taste bad.;)

papa smurf
30-11-2010, 18:25
bung em in the combination microwave oven /microwave on full power 10 mins coat in oil then set to convection oven 200c and cook till crispy .

or open freezer remove ready made roasties [aunt Bessie's ] chuck in oven -sorted

Hom3r
30-11-2010, 18:49
We use goose fat roast spuds & other makes, as well as froze parsnips.

They are mainly used at Christmas as it means we spend more time togethter as a family, rather than the cook on there own in the kitchen.

budwieser
02-12-2010, 19:51
Par boil your spuds, drain and score them with a fork. Let them cool down for 10 mins
Mix plain flour, salt and pepper and dip the spuds in it, Thinly slice a couple of garlic cloves and fry in veg/olive oil with the tatties until golden brown and crispy. Lovely!
You can also do this with new potatoes but add a chopped onion to the fryng mix.

dgardner
03-12-2010, 17:18
as above but add half a teaspoon of mustard powder to the flour

joglynne
03-12-2010, 17:41
as above but add half a teaspoon of mustard powder to the flour

You can even substitute Curry powder if you want a roastie with a kick to it.

Tuftus
06-12-2010, 22:56
Totally calorie laden but for a change try making Hedgehog Roast Potatoes. With slithers of garlic in the cuts they are utterly, mind blowingly gorgeous. Not quite as good looking as mine but here's a photo.

.....https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/12/105.jpg

Cut off a slice along the length of each raw potato to make one flat side. Make lots vertical cuts into the uncut side of each potato, almost to the base, you can rub on some garlic purée or push thin slithers of fresh garlic in the cuts.

Place the potatoes on a tray and drizzle with oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

As they have been sliced they don't take as long to cook as traditional roast potatoes so you only need to roast them for 30 - 35 minutes , until they are golden-brown and crispy. ( sorry I don't know the gas equivalent but I do mine at 180 degrees in my electric fan oven)

Did these tonight, they needed a bit more than 35 mins but were very yummy.

Will put garlic in them next time rather than sprinkling with the garlic grinder though :)

Top tip Jo :)

Peter_
06-12-2010, 23:00
I did a REAL roast on Sunday, I cooked a 3.5kg shoulder of pork with a marmalade crackling, roasties cooked in goose fat and a selection of vegetables to boot, then made bubble and squeak for tea tonight.:)

So you can all let out a sigh of relief.:D