PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ - to be FREE??

Salu
17-08-2005, 16:15
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23613.html

Looks like they are considering this business model,presumably to complete with NTL and Telewest's forthcoming PVR......

If NTL's PVR turns out to be free, then it might be worthwhile to existing Sky+ subscribers to drop to the freeview only and get NTL PVR. That way they will have x2 PVRs.....

Not quite sure which forum to post this in btw....

gazzae
17-08-2005, 16:20
I thought NTL were going to offer VOD instead of a PVR? If they are going to offer a PVR what is the point in setting up VOD?

Derek
17-08-2005, 16:22
I *think* you need to be paying either £10.00 a month or having a Sky package + at least 2 premium channels to get the PVR functions activated on a Sky+ box.

Without that the box is just a standard Sky box.

It makes sense to give the boxes away with a new contract. Get people used to the technology and they will be less likely to move elsewhere and if they keep the need to have the Sports or Movies then it will probably pay for itself fairly quickly.

SMHarman
17-08-2005, 16:37
If they are going to offer a PVR what is the point in setting up VOD?They are complimentary products. VOD may not store the obscure angling program on the discovery channel H&L, PVR enables you to catch that.
VOD enables you to not think about recording something, but watch it any time anyway. It is also much better for movie rental as it offers a product that competes with DVD rental (pause, rewind, watch again for 24 hrs).

gazzae
17-08-2005, 16:41
It is also much better for movie rental as it offers a product that competes with DVD rental (pause, rewind, watch again for 24 hrs).

You can do that with Sky+ for Box Office movies.

gkhewitt
17-08-2005, 17:32
Given the choice of VOD or PVR (on par with Sky+) I know that I (and many others) would choose the PVR.

SMHarman
17-08-2005, 17:46
You can do that with Sky+ for Box Office movies.Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie. What percentage of the Sky userbase is Sky+? A minority I imagine (though probably the majority of Sky users on forums such as this). Sky can only do this when a £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ box is installed in the users house, and then only on the screen that box is attached too, Sky multiroom does not allow you this functionality on the second box VOD allows it on all boxes.

As I have said complimentary technology.

The other thing to consider is in this multichannel world the need to record is dramatically diminished due to regular rerun. I missed Lost on Wednesday eve, instead of being annoyed about it, it was a case of establishing when on C4/E4 it was next shown, this was Sat PM, Sun PM (second chance sunday) and then again straight after - I think Lost played for about 8 hrs continuously from 8pm on E4 2nd Chance Sunday last week.

VOD has other benefits, if I have a screaming 2yr old on my hands who wants to watch Balamory right now, I can tell him to get stuffed as thats not on the telly (the right answer) or playback from VOD, for the PVRed user they would have to have had the foresight to record it (and of course find their 2 yr old wants to watch Spongebob instead).

I've used the SA8000 PVR box on the Time Warner cable system in the US and when that or similar alongside VOD is rolled out cable will certainly be a superior product to Sky.

Graham
17-08-2005, 19:17
I *think* you need to be paying either £10.00 a month or having a Sky package + at least 2 premium channels to get the PVR functions activated on a Sky+ box.

More or less.

If you want Sky+ and you're paying less than £30 a month (ie if you have the basic or family pack), you get stuck for a £10 charge to get it.

Of course the cheapest package with two premium channels (ie movies 2, 4, 6 and 8 and basic Sky Sports) costs £30...!

Salu
18-08-2005, 10:05
My point was more around if Sky were to give away Sky+ then as I now have Sky+ and I leave to get NTL's PVR I will still have a Sky+ box, as I have bought it.
If they are giving Sky+ away the question is what are they giving away? The box or the £10 subscription to use it....or both?

I may be left with a Sky+ box that only can recieve the basic channels but be able to time shift....and get NTL's PVR giving me a great amount of recording power....

gazzae
18-08-2005, 11:33
My point was more around if Sky were to give away Sky+ then as I now have Sky+ and I leave to get NTL's PVR I will still have a Sky+ box, as I have bought it.
If they are giving Sky+ away the question is what are they giving away? The box or the £10 subscription to use it....or both?

I may be left with a Sky+ box that only can recieve the basic channels but be able to time shift....and get NTL's PVR giving me a great amount of recording power....

AFAIK It wouldn't work as a PVR if you left sky, for the PRV function you have to subscribe.

Salu
18-08-2005, 12:26
AFAIK It wouldn't work as a PVR if you left sky, for the PRV function you have to subscribe.

That is true at the moment as you have to pay but if Sky were to make it available to everyone then this may not be the case.......

ian@huth
18-08-2005, 12:37
That is true at the moment as you have to pay but if Sky were to make it available to everyone then this may not be the case.......A lot will depend on what the reserved 80 Gb portion of the new Sky+ boxes will be used for. If it is for revenue generating purposes then it could be in their interest to drop the £10 per month charge for its use. They could use the 80 Gb to allow users access to programmes that are not part of their subscribed plan, at a cost of course.

Chrysalis
18-08-2005, 15:46
Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie.

Beg to differ, NTL have not universally rolled out digital tv.

Derek
18-08-2005, 16:11

But 'in time' they will. Either that or just burn down the relevant sections of Leicester and Londonderry to avoid having to upgrade the network. :D

SMHarman
19-08-2005, 10:09
Whereas (in time) every NTL / TW digital customer will be able to do this for every filmflex movie.
I did say digital TV customer, clarifying that analogue tv customers would not benefit.

Chrysalis
19-08-2005, 13:47
Fair enough.

Dezzo Leics isnt getting the digital upgrade, when I rang simon duffy office they told me the government promised them that this area can get a digital signal so NTL are not obliged to provide the service and they will give 6 months notice before termination.

bdav
20-08-2005, 10:02
I think you are confused about the £10 sky+ Monthly charge - The Sky+ box is capable of recieving 2 channels at a time - you could be constantly recording, and constantly watching - its like having 2 subs. Your just paying for the channels for the 2nd tuner. I *Think* if you ditch the £10, you can either watch, or record - not both.

I saw something in a magazine the other day - It was a satelite reciever box, capable of recieving Sky - letting you watch 2 channels and record another 6 - I think it was about £300-400.