PDA

View Full Version : New 50Mb Install

Storm3y
14-11-2010, 23:56
Greetings,

I currently have the Virgin Media XL Package and I'm upgrading to the XXL Package (50Mb) on Tuesday.

I've heard some issues from people regarding the SNR Power levels causing issues. I would like to make sure that my connection power levels are fine before the engineer goes away.

What are the neceserry power levles? What should I check to make sure that it is fine before he goes.

My current power levels etc are as follows

Downstream Modulation : 256 QAM
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.30 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.57 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 46.80 dBmv

Cheers
Storm3y

Peter_
15-11-2010, 08:24
Your downstream receive power is a bit low everything else is fine but it will probably all change once the new modem is installed.

spiderplant
15-11-2010, 08:28
Your current levels look good, but remember the modems are mass-produced and aren't designed to make accurate signal measurements. It's only a rough guide. The installer should have a hand-held meter to check the signal levels - these are calibrated and far more accurate. Just make sure he uses the meter and you should be fine.

ps. Welcome to the forum!

Storm3y
15-11-2010, 13:49
Oki Cheers :)

Can any of you tell me what it should be so I can double check. Simply becuase I don't really want to call them out again if it's wrong.

jb66
15-11-2010, 16:12
It depends on your area, I like the downstream to be as close to zero as possible, but in my region -7 is acceptable

Storm3y
15-11-2010, 17:42
It depends on your area, I like the downstream to be as close to zero as possible, but in my region -7 is acceptable

Ok cheers. Do the power levels change? If the service is fine when he is there will it be set like that or around that level for ever unless they change it?

Storm3y
16-11-2010, 16:10
Got it installed this morning working lovely.