PDA

View Full Version : Flat directly downstairs can get 50mb but max I can get is 4.5mb?

blue`
13-11-2010, 15:34
When using the online post-code checker, if I check my postcode (KT1 is the first part), it says I can only get the national broadband service, with a max speed of 4.5mb downstream, but if I check the postcode of the flat directly below me it says that cable services are available in that area with speeds of up to 50mb. My flat has an entrance from a different side of the street than the other one so they have different post codes, but its the same building, directly below me, isn't there any way for me to get non stone-age internet? :(

I tried calling virgin on the phone number provided but the person on the other end wasn't very helpful, and I did fill out the unserviceable address form about a week ago, with no response as of yet.

Any one have any ideas?

weesteev
14-11-2010, 12:27
Your flat may not be serviceable for a number of reasons. Your speed quote will be ADSL while the flat below may have cable services. You may require a spotter to check this for you, filling out that form is the first step, the team will be in touch. It will be busy at this time so I would give it a bit longer..

jungleguy
14-11-2010, 13:13
hi
this is the form to fill out
http://shop.virginmedia.com/unserviceable-address

blue`
14-11-2010, 13:44
Your flat may not be serviceable for a number of reasons. Your speed quote will be ADSL while the flat below may have cable services. You may require a spotter to check this for you, filling out that form is the first step, the team will be in touch. It will be busy at this time so I would give it a bit longer..

And if this is the case, theres no way to extend the cable to my flat? It can probably be run through a window, about 5 meters of cable.

I have filled out the form

weesteev
14-11-2010, 20:34
And if this is the case, theres no way to extend the cable to my flat? It can probably be run through a window, about 5 meters of cable.

I have filled out the form

Its not the cable that's the issue. There may not be capacity to support the flat from the local DP cabinet (or pit) or more than likely there is not a tee in place to feed the address seeing as it will be an external cable run. Finally, it might never have been done due to wayleave issues (permission).

Let us know how it goes.

blue`
18-11-2010, 12:54
Got a flyer through the mail slot today saying that I was in a fiber optic internet area from virgin. No response as of yet from the filling out the form though, are they just toying with me or as these flyers just distributed at random?

amgard
18-11-2010, 16:47
Got a flyer through the mail slot today saying that I was in a fiber optic internet area from virgin. No response as of yet from the filling out the form though, are they just toying with me or as these flyers just distributed at random?

I get those flyers constantly :( - and I'm already connected on VM cable !

blue`
23-11-2010, 20:59
Had a call today from Virgin, saying that it is possible for me to get cable, they'll just need to drill a hole and run it into my flat. Man on the phone said it might take up to 3 months though, but all I need to do is go get the freeholders permission