PDA

View Full Version : Help - cut cable, 1 week no service and 1 month wait for new install

cablej
01-11-2010, 09:50
Hi,

On the 26th October 2010 our TV and broadband services went down. An engineer was sent out a few days later who said that it looked like the gas workers had cut our cable. Following that, VM sent out a principle engineer on Saturday 30th who told us the same thing and it would require another installation.

I've just spoken to an offshore VM support person and she told me that the installation slot is 30th November.

We pay around £130 per month to VM for 50Mbit BB, 3x V+ STB 1x V STB and all the channels so I find the 1 month wait for an install totally unacceptable.

You guys have been great in the past (especially Russ) to help resolve my previous problems, so if anyone can help me get this done sooner, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers & Please help us!

MovedGoalPosts
01-11-2010, 10:15
Unfortunately it is outside of Virgin Media's control if a third party causes damage to their network.

The installation teams are usually booked well in advance, to rearrange capacity for you to be done swiftly probably means a delay to somebody else.

If it's acknowledged by VM that you do not have a service then you will be credited (not charged) for those lost services, but they normally do that on you bill once the issue is resolved. Unfortunately VM, do not for residential services offer any SLA, or indeed a fault free service.

cablej
01-11-2010, 10:42
I understand there is no SLA - but at the same time, I would expect VM to have the capcity to deploy additional engineers to rectify problems resulting from situations similar to mine.

cablej
01-11-2010, 15:48
Furthermore, if Skanska (who are doing the Gas works near me) have damaged the cable going from the green box to my house (no one else in the ST seems to be affected), how does that go about being repaired?

If I do have to wait until 30th November to get someone out, I am really worried they will turn up find a reason to say it's not just a simple install job and I'll be left without service again for who knows how long :confused:

I read somewhere about some cable companies laying two cables to each house - is this the case with VM?

BenMcr
01-11-2010, 16:23
Virgin don't install redundant cable. They install what is required to get your services working.

When the techs have gone out they should have noted any damage to the ducts or cables that will be passed back to the appropriate construction and install teams. So they will likely go out a few days before the agreed install day to make sure it's all prepared

cablej
01-11-2010, 17:35
So what you're saying is there is little chance of them turning up on the day only to say that they're not right team for the job or they do not have the neccessary equipment etc for it?

As I've been messed around in the past by VM (I notice you work for them) I can not be anything other but worried, especially as we're getting nearer the christmas period.

BenMcr
01-11-2010, 18:38
If everything goes as it's supposed to, then the day they turn up it should all be up and running again by the time they are done

cablej
02-11-2010, 10:18
I passed the gas workers today. There's a huge hole where they've dug and can see the gas mains and also a damaged green pipe with a large section of exposed black "virgin media" type cables running through it. I am guessing they hit when they were drilling with the JCB.

My concern is that if this is the root cause then the hole will be filled and on the 30th VM will need trace it back to here, gain permission to dig up the road and then do the work - so I can't believe that it'll be all sorted on that day.

cablej
03-11-2010, 10:06
I thought I'd include these photos that I took of the area I've mentioned in my previous post. From the looks of this, are these VM cables?

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7676/imgp2723.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/203/imgp2724.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3985/imgp2726.jpg

Sirius
03-11-2010, 10:47
[QUOTE=cablej;35117214]I thought I'd include these photos that I took of the area I've mentioned in my previous post. From the looks of this, are these VM cables?

Yes there in green duct which is what most cable companys used.

BenMcr
03-11-2010, 11:02
I would phone Virgin back and ask them to speak to the Construction team to make sure they are aware of that. It's a lot more work than a normal install crew would do!

cablej
03-11-2010, 11:12
I would phone Virgin back and ask them to speak to the Construction team to make sure they are aware of that. It's a lot more work than a normal install crew would do!

I can try, but if I call them now it's very likely that I'll speak to an offshore support person. Previously it has proved very difficult to communicate my problem with them (they seem to like to send out an engineer see what the problem is!) so I'd really prefer to speak to a UK based person if possible who can escalate my issue.

BenMcr - if you work at VM - are you able to put anyone from that department in contact with me?

BenMcr
03-11-2010, 11:13
Probably best to ask one of the Mods here to see if they can get their contacts to have a look at it

cablej
03-11-2010, 12:17
I managed to get through to a very helpful guy in faults (by far the best person I've spoke to so far) and relayed what I've said here to him. It is now in the hands of the area manager who is meant to be contacting me.

The Nov 30th job was an install from the cabinet to my door, so probably not the correct job. Those VM cables will certainly need to be fixed, so hopefully on the road to getting that done.

weesteev
03-11-2010, 12:56
That all looks like siamese which makes me think its an ex-NTL area. Although the green pipes at the bottom are sub-duct, probably with fibre... if the JCB hit them then it would have been a different story!! (Lights out!)

Hope this gets fixed soon, keep us posted!

jungleguy
03-11-2010, 22:50
Hi I think this is a job for the VM network compliance engineer.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Waste of time. Construction desk can only do something if there.s an open work order.

You could arrange a re-pull via cs, but the pulling crew will not have access to this part of a building site. So that's a non starter

Network alteration or compliance engineer will sort this out. He'll get it sorted, and ******* the builders. I'll check tomorrow the correct job title for you.

Good luck

cablej
04-11-2010, 16:32
Hi I think this is a job for the VM network compliance engineer.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Waste of time. Construction desk can only do something if there.s an open work order.

You could arrange a re-pull via cs, but the pulling crew will not have access to this part of a building site. So that's a non starter

Network alteration or compliance engineer will sort this out. He'll get it sorted, and ******* the builders. I'll check tomorrow the correct job title for you.

Good luck

Thanks for the message - I'm still waiting to hear back from the Area Manager (who is in meetings all day today) so I got told that the Principle
Technician for the area would call me instead - but I've heard nothing back from him either - is that who you meant or I am going in the wrong direction?

jungleguy
04-11-2010, 17:15
AFM is a good start, but if he's in a meeting sounds like you're being fobbed off!!!

Where do you live?

That does need sorting, once they reburry the duct they'll be unable to pull anymore cables through.

Thinking about this the compliance engineer is no good for you as he will get the damage duct repaired. But you need a new cable re pulled.

MovedGoalPosts
04-11-2010, 17:27
cablej. PM me some of your details. Customer name, address and a daytime contact phone number. Please also give an idea of exactly where this hole in the ground is i.e. outside which house. I'll forward this to the forum's contacts and see if they are able to at least make sure the right people are "looking into it".

cablej
04-11-2010, 18:26
AFM is a good start, but if he's in a meeting sounds like you're being fobbed off!!!

Where do you live?

That does need sorting, once they reburry the duct they'll be unable to pull anymore cables through.

Thinking about this the compliance engineer is no good for you as he will get the damage duct repaired. But you need a new cable re pulled.

Hi,

I am in Chiswick W4 and the area manager is that of Hounslow and Chiswick. One of my concern has always been if they fill the hole, especially when they originally booked me in for Nov 30th - I know the builders are probably lazy but that's plenty of time for them to fill it up :td:

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

cablej. PM me some of your details. Customer name, address and a daytime contact phone number. Please also give an idea of exactly where this hole in the ground is i.e. outside which house. I'll forward this to the forum's contacts and see if they are able to at least make sure the right people are "looking into it".

PM sent - that's really appreciated, cheers.

MovedGoalPosts
04-11-2010, 19:44
I've forwarded your details to the Forum's Contacts. They aren't front line staff so don't expect an immediate call from them.

jungleguy
04-11-2010, 20:57
I've forwarded your details to the Forum's Contacts. They aren't front line staff so don't expect an immediate call from them.

'front line staff', don't hear that term mentioned at VM these days, its all about outsourcing these days.....Bangalore or the Philippines.

cablej
05-11-2010, 16:18
Just an update for today - not yet been contacted by Area Manager or Principle Technician.

jungleguy
05-11-2010, 21:37
Just an update for today - not yet been contacted by Area Manager or Principle Technician.

AFM must still be in a meeting......heard all that before. Don't let them fob you off.

cablej
08-11-2010, 17:39
Another day gone - no contact from VM :/

cablej
09-11-2010, 13:50
Progress - possibly thanks to the guys here at cableforum!

I spoke to a guy in installations who got in cotact with area manager. The AM said that he was already aware of the problem as the job had also been passed to the CEO office (thanks to this forum!?).

A team should be out to fix the cable ducting this afternoon and a repole should take place either later today or early hours of tomorrow. So hopefully (though I am not holding my breath) my services could be restored by the time I get home from work.

I asked if it was more than just replacing the cable ducting (to make sure there was no damage to the cables which needed be repaired etc) and was told that they'd be looking and fixing any such damage.

Apparently the repole apparently doesn't require anyone to be at home, though it would be nice if somoene was so that they could check if all services have been restored.

I'll report back when I have either good or bad news.

weesteev
09-11-2010, 14:12
Progress - possibly thanks to the guys here at cableforum!

I spoke to a guy in installations who got in cotact with area manager. The AM said that he was already aware of the problem as the job had also been passed to the CEO office (thanks to this forum!?).

A team should be out to fix the cable ducting this afternoon and a repole should take place either later today or early hours of tomorrow. So hopefully (though I am not holding my breath) my services could be restored by the time I get home from work.

I asked if it was more than just replacing the cable ducting (to make sure there was no damage to the cables which needed be repaired etc) and was told that they'd be looking and fixing any such damage.

Apparently the repole apparently doesn't require anyone to be at home, though it would be nice if somoene was so that they could check if all services have been restored.

I'll report back when I have either good or bad news.

"Repull" - Close enough though! ;)

A collar will be placed around the damaged duct as I dont think that could be replaced without substantial work and a complete outage for all customers affected from the Pedestal that serves the surrounding houses.

Once complete then the existing drop cables would be pulled and replaced with new drop cables which should resolve the issue if there is damage to the cable.

Hope this helps! And good luck.

:)

MovedGoalPosts
09-11-2010, 14:54
Glad to note that there might be some progress towards your seeing light at the end of the cable :tu:

cablej
10-11-2010, 10:52
As I approached the gas repairs on my way home yesterday evening I was hoping to find some restoration to the ducting but it looks as though nothing has taken place.

Ofcourse, that's not to say that VM didn't turn up and for some reason were unable to carry out the work...Needless to say I'll be spending some of my lunch time today on the phone to them again to try to find out what happened :/

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

News from home is that there appears to be some new wires outside the house - I am guessing this is part of the "repull" job taking place.

cablej
10-11-2010, 20:15
Great news - the ducting has been fixed and the repull completed. All my services seem to be back (TV and 50mbit bb) and I am very grateful to you guys on the forum and your contacts for having these problems addressed - without you, I'd have been waiting for weeks and who knows what would have have happened to the ducting.

Cheers cableforum :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
10-11-2010, 22:45
Glad we could assist

Pauls9
11-11-2010, 13:30
That's good news. Just make sure you get credited for the service you lost.

cablej
11-11-2010, 16:52
That's good news. Just make sure you get credited for the service you lost.

I certainly will be making sure I am credited!