PDA

View Full Version : Installation Query

Wes
28-10-2010, 10:47
Back Story (I promise there's a point):

I moved house 18 months ago, and my new address was listed as not serviceable on the Virgin system. My neighbour (we are semi-detached to him) is a Virgin customer, so I rang Virgin anyway, and then arranged a spotter visit. The problem is that my property is right in the corner of a 'T shaped' close, separated by the carriageway and footpath by about 5m of private drive, so the original cable was never quite laid as far as me. The spotter gave two thumbs up, and an install was arranged. The plan was to run a service from the box in the footpath outside my neighbour's house, through his drive (with suitable way-leave arranged). Come the day, the install team never arrived. When I called to make a fuss, apparently the install had been cancelled by Virgin due to lack of available infrastructure; I remember them mentioning a problem with the duct.

Fast forward to now... my address is now listed as serviceable. I have called the sales team, who blindly agreed with the system that I could be connected. I was naturally dubious, so I requested a spotter come out. He agreed with the previous method (way-leave through my neighbours land), and checked that there was adequate connections in the cabinet at the end of the street. No mention of issues with the ducting however. Install is booked for the 12th of November...

My three queries are:
1. I am not 100% convinced that the install can go ahead given the problems I faced in the past, especially as when I called the installation team 3 days after the spotter's visit, they had no records on my account from him. Anyone I ring just quotes to me the install date is confirmed likes its gospel. Can I contact an area manager to confirm this install before I cancel my other providers?

2. The spotter said I need a way leave form. Installation said they would post one to my neighbour. Sales were confused by the very concept, but then said they could email me one straight away - neither has happened. I want to get this sorted, in case the install team do arrive shovels in hand on the 12th.

3. The chap who owns the final house in the corner of the close, which is accessed via our private drive (again approx. 5m) saw the spotter van, and told me he was also interested but had in the past been told his property was not serviceable. If this was due to the private land issue, would it now be possible for Virgin to lay a junction box in our private land, to allow connection of this house and ours. A bit of joined up thinking by the spotters and install team might alleviate the need to lay the service through my neighbour's nice new driveway, instead laying it along the private land that we own.. Sales agreed to send out a spotter to chat to the house in the corner, but I am concerned that the concept isn't properly grasped by the install and sales team. Can anyone suggest a contact to speak to who can facilitate this?

Cheers,

Wes

jungleguy
28-10-2010, 21:23
If you can get a way leave from all who have a stake/interest over the private land, then the spotter can arrange for the network to be extended. That would be preferential,

Wes
28-10-2010, 22:49
Thanks for the reply. That could definitely be arranged. The question is now, how do I get hold of the relevant paperwork, and get the right local Virgin staff involved? Any suggestions??

jungleguy
29-10-2010, 07:24
the spotter should have way leaves and arrange the network alteration.

weesteev
29-10-2010, 10:58
Wes, can you email cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk with your contact details and I will make sure the team are aware of the situation. This sounds like the extra work required will be out of scope of the install teams but we can certainly look into this.

Thanks

Wes
29-10-2010, 11:21
Thanks for the advice weesteev. I sent an email to 'cablemystreet' at a similar time to posting here yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was too small a job for that team. The email included full addresses and account numbers etc.

Do you think I should cancel the install visit on the 12th?