PDA

View Full Version : New Installation - How to present Coax

james.brown
10-10-2010, 17:42
All,

Could I ask some advice on what kind of internal presentation Virgin would require on a new block of flats please? We have cabled the flats down to the basement with RG-59 through an internal riser and Virgin are due to dig into the building in the near future.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to purchase some suitable connectors for the ends of these cables please? Also, are there any cheap coax identification and testing tools for sale?

Many thanks

James.

Kymmy
10-10-2010, 18:12
RG59 has a good 20-25% more attenuation than RG6.. you might find that it's unsuitable for the task at hand and will drop the signal too much in some areas

jungleguy
10-10-2010, 19:59
You can leave the cable hidden behind a blank face plate in the wall, the installer will simply remove the face plate, and add a VM wall box and sort out the connectors on installation, this is done when the first occupier orders cable.

james.brown
10-10-2010, 20:11
Thank you for the feedback. I think we have used a combination of RG59 for the very short haul flats and RG6 (a black cable with aluminium shield) for the longer distances. Hopefully this will be OK.

Do you know of any good cable testing tools we can use to identify which cable reaches which flat?

jb66
10-10-2010, 20:28
You need a cat toner and pickup, virgin use mills ltd for tools

jungleguy
10-10-2010, 20:29
Get your sparky to tag the cable tales as he pulls them. But again the installer should be able to ID them with his own kit.

jb66
10-10-2010, 20:35
What are you doing telco wise?

jungleguy
10-10-2010, 20:38
Also Has anyone from VM been out to look at the property? And how many flats?

jb66
10-10-2010, 20:44
You really need the coax tagged as not every tech has a catv toner as we rarely use them.

Jonnymeg
10-10-2010, 20:48
You really need the coax tagged as not every tech has a catv toner as we rarely use them.

Strip back the coax, one clip on the centre core and one on the braid. Simples.

Or you could use one of these that i have. However the first method works just as well.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/en-us/products/IntelliTone+Toner+and+Probe/Overview.htm

james.brown
10-10-2010, 20:57
Helpful stuff - the Fluke toner and probe looks great, but the price may be little high for my purposes ;-)

Do you think it would be possible to just strip one end of the cable, earth it with a crocodile clip for a few minutes and use a cheap tester like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=218640

Scrubbs
10-10-2010, 21:07
one battery, one torch bulb/lamp, strip the cable put the battery across the core and braid at the single end. put the lamp/bulb on the other ends until you find it. assuming there is nothing connected yet?
-l- :::::::::::::::@ ( supposed to be battery and bulb circuit, rubbish drawing , :D but you get my drift:))

jb66
10-10-2010, 21:08
Lol I like the bulb idea haha

Scrubbs
10-10-2010, 21:22
Lol I like the bulb idea haha

It's the rocket science bit:D

jungleguy
10-10-2010, 21:29
How many flats? I'm worried, if you're in an ex NTL area the street cabs only had 80% capacity for their street. If your adding a load of additional properties the cab may not be able to handle the extra required capacity.

weesteev
11-10-2010, 13:01
All,

Could I ask some advice on what kind of internal presentation Virgin would require on a new block of flats please? We have cabled the flats down to the basement with RG-59 through an internal riser and Virgin are due to dig into the building in the near future.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to purchase some suitable connectors for the ends of these cables please? Also, are there any cheap coax identification and testing tools for sale?

Many thanks

James.

James

Please contact the newbuild team before you proceed further, I have PM'd you the details.

Thanks

Kymmy
11-10-2010, 13:51
I used to use some ready made resisitor units with clips on them, just attach them to the centre/screen and as the resistors were roughly 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 5K..etc... it was easy to tell what feeds were what number with a simple multimeter.. Came in really handy when wiring up 10base2

Jonnymeg
11-10-2010, 17:48
Helpful stuff - the Fluke toner and probe looks great, but the price may be little high for my purposes ;-)

Do you think it would be possible to just strip one end of the cable, earth it with a crocodile clip for a few minutes and use a cheap tester like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=218640

Yeah, that should work fine.

james.brown
11-10-2010, 19:11
Thank you all for the excellent help here. I have been in touch with the New Build team. This is indeed an ex-NTL area, but we are talking about 9 flats and 2 commercials, so I believe the impact on capacity is relatively small. The new build team have been very helpful so far and they are currently in the planning phase.

james.brown
12-10-2010, 18:50
Just to confirm that the Maplin Coax Toner worked very successfully. There is no need for any crocodile clips, simply stripping the cable at one end and attaching the termination buzzer (included) worked fine.

weesteev
12-10-2010, 21:22
Good stuff James, your development didn't fall within my franchises so i wont see how the project goes but keep us posted! You are in good hands now.

jungleguy
12-10-2010, 21:49
I get the feeling new build are over worked and under recourced.

Jonnymeg
12-10-2010, 22:16

Wow, that sounds familiar

weesteev
13-10-2010, 09:56

What gives you that impression Jungle?

jungleguy
13-10-2010, 10:42
Well you said yourself in the thread 'Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!' that you had a phenomenal response. I'm guessing work loads have increased. I also don't understand why in this thread someone is asking how to cable his flats, after cable my street have been in touch, surely he would have a Virgin Media point of contact from the local offices to explain this?

weesteev
13-10-2010, 16:35
Well you said yourself in the thread 'Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!' that you had a phenomenal response. I'm guessing work loads have increased. I also don't understand why in this thread someone is asking how to cable his flats, after cable my street have been in touch, surely he would have a Virgin Media point of contact from the local offices to explain this?

He only got in touch with our team after I messaged him, he does have a point of contact now.

And yes your right, we are very busy! Next year is looking even busier already.

:cool:

jungleguy
13-10-2010, 21:33
Ok my misunderstanding, glad your sending in some professionals to tell him how to do it. Are you planning on recruiting to cope with your upturn?