PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my free Wireless N Dongle?

Mr Smooth
08-10-2010, 01:53
I have had my 50 Meg XXL installed today and the engineer looked at me blankly when I asked him about the free wireless N dongle.

When I ordered the broadband I specifically asked If I would be getting the wireless router and dongle as my router is on its way out, and as I spend the majority of time on my laptop, I wanted the N adapter as mine only had G.

How do I go about getting this, as It says its free for XXL customers.

Many Thanks in advance.

swoop101
08-10-2010, 07:27
He should have left it with you, as well as the router.
Ring CS and find out what is going on, I had to wait for my router but got my dongle on install.

roger skillin
08-10-2010, 12:05
Why do you need a wireless dongle? if you have a pc then just plug it straight into the pc and surely your laptop must have wireless already

Mr Smooth
08-10-2010, 15:40
I know he should have left it, thats why I asked him for it, and confirmed with the installation helpline that I would be getting one.

Yes you are correct that my laptop has wireless already BUT as explained above it is only at G speed so actual throughput is probably around 14 -18 Meg.

I already have a pc connected via the wire, but I use my laptop mainly and want to take advantage of the N speed increase as I download and transfer lots of files (not torrent). Actual throughput of the N speed should be closer to the 50 Meg.

What I am asking is who do I speak to at customer services? Which department/option? and to confirm that I should actually be entitled to one and Ive not just been fed a line, or its because I was an existing customer or some other reason

swoop101
08-10-2010, 16:15
I have been with them for 15 years so yes you do get one.
Just call CS option 3 and tell them you did not get the items and they should dispatch them to you.

Jonnymeg
08-10-2010, 21:09
I would much rather have 14-18meg than one of those things sticking out of my laptop.

Siren
09-10-2010, 00:22
The installer we had made two trips to the van getting my router and dongle. They must pocket them for themselves. I had to ask for both. I think I reffered to the dongle as Wireless N and he didn't have a clue what I was on about.

802.. B.. G. N! err.. adapter thing.. You know.

Mr Smooth
09-10-2010, 18:47
Well just to let you know, I rang CS and asked them about the free dongle, and they knew nothing about it. I told them that I confirmed that I would get one with the installation team, and then told them what it said on the website and after a short time on hold the lady apologised and said that she wasn't aware that they were given out for existing customers and that I would have one next week. Great.....

jungleguy
09-10-2010, 21:28
They must pocket them for themselves.

Thats Liverpool for you

Peter_
09-10-2010, 21:47
Thats Liverpool for you
Why not ask your own guys first seeming as they are supposed to carry them to the install with the modem and router, Sits where it hits remember.

I find it odd that you can say that about Liverpool when we take the same call from all franchises with exactly the same thing so it could be you.

Also for the misinformed all stock delivered by the Home Delivery Network come from a Central Warehouse in the Midlands belonging to Kuehne Nagel.

adzii_nufc
10-10-2010, 10:06
Scouser bashing?

That would be stereotyping.

Not every scouse steals, Not every geordie beats his wife and not every welsh guy likes sheep!

Back on topic, You should have been given the Router and the Dongle by the installation guy but it seems not. Have you phoned in yet to claim the dongle?

jungleguy
10-10-2010, 10:36
calm down, calm down, calm down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXzqajzQ4GM&feature=related

Peter_
10-10-2010, 13:05
calm down, calm down, calm down.

No need to calm down just pointing out a few home truths about routers and dongles not being given to people at install and the engineer then giving the customer a blank stare when asked for them, and then advising them to call up and when they do we find everything is listed in the work order for the engineer to supply and not for it to be supplied separately.

So rather pointing fingers try looking inward at your colleagues in all the different franchises who are telling customers to call us or should we increase our feedback to Install Operations to try and curtail this from happening.

jb66
10-10-2010, 13:10
No need to calm down just pointing out a few home truths about routers and dongles not being given to people at install and the engineer then giving the customer a blank stare when asked for them, and then advising them to call up and when they do we find everything is listed in the work order for the engineer to supply and not for it to be supplied separately.

So rather pointing fingers try looking inward at your colleagues in all the different franchises who are telling customers to call us or should we increase our feedback to Install Operations to try and curtail this from happening.

The contractors just started to install xxl, it's probably teething trouble/ stock issues. This will be the first time contractors will be given dongles

xx.Morph.xx
10-10-2010, 15:00
I didn't get a dongle either (installation 22nd Sept), mind you the router was left for me to install as I still had wireless through my BT hub at the time (til contract ends on 26th Oct)

JayJay
24-10-2010, 16:37
As a contracted installer, If my work order doesnt show a Router or a Dongle I wont give one. I may give a router but if I have things going missing from my van without a valid work order to prove where its gone then im not risking my wages to pay for lost equipment.

Plus most of the time I see on my paper work that a dongle has been dispatched and will be delivered to the customer via courier.