PDA

View Full Version : virgin router issue

media wilson
05-09-2010, 20:52
HI can anybody help, ive had virgin broadband installed, but when i try to connect my wii wirelessly it finds my router but then asks for the phrase word so i put the password on the back of the router but then it says it can't connect what am i doing wrong?:td:

jb66
05-09-2010, 22:04
I think the wii can't connect via wpa2 encryption, it's wep compatible

Pog66
06-09-2010, 11:18
I think the wii can't connect via wpa2 encryption, it's wep compatible

Nope - it is WPA2 compatible. Has the OP tried connecting something else to router (e.g. laptop, phone)? If nothing else is connected then you can reset the WPA code yourself.

pabscars
06-09-2010, 11:25
Surely when the op set up the router they should have come up with a passphrase to secure their wireless network, yet refers the router password on the back of the device.

The password on the back of the router is just to log into the router software and not the passphrase to allow access to the wireless network.

The op needs to log into the router and set the passphrase to whatever they want and try again me thinks

BenMcr
06-09-2010, 12:27
It depends.

For the new Virgin combined router/modem the SSID and WPA are printed on the back in addition to the router login details

Ben B
06-09-2010, 14:10
You need to make sure that the wii option is the correct security that is set up on your router. If it is a netgear router then choosing either WPA-PSK(TKIP) or WPA2-PSK(AES) will work otherwise it won't allow you to connect

media wilson
06-09-2010, 21:13
It depends.

For the new Virgin combined router/modem the SSID and WPA are printed on the back in addition to the router login details

Thanks for Reply so does that mean that the passphrase on the back of the new router should work or do i have to access the router to set a passphrase?

BenMcr
06-09-2010, 21:18
The one on the back should work

Just to confirm where you find it on the Hub:

What is the default network name and wireless network security key for the Virgin Media Hub? (http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=7A6C01DC-9031-4A5E-A84A-0E790B879210)