PDA

View Full Version : Installation Soon, Advice Needed

Siren
28-08-2010, 02:46
Not had cable before, I live in semi detached house. In the street I see the cable box in peoples front gardens next to the fence of their neighbours.

Now we've just had an extension, and im having an office in the front bedroom upstairs that's the new part of the house, furthest away from next door property. In that room I want my computer and I'll use Internet most.

At the back of the house downstairs is the main sitting room, sharing the wall with the people next door. Here I'll want TV services.

Is this a straight forward set up, you might have to go around the front door of the property and up to get into that front bedroom, from there then you would have cable running inside to get to the back room?

My thought was while I still had no plasterboards I could have ran my own coax cable from front bedroom to the back sitting room with cat 6 Ethernet together straight through the joists where electrics are and holes already drilled and helped the engineer. The ceiling will be covered in two weeks time when I'm scheduled.

Also as the office is the entrance point you have the router and modern both set up there, correct? I'm completely new to cable only ever had ADSL.

Peter_
28-08-2010, 08:43
When the installer arrives just show him exacvtly where you want everything fitted and do not take no for an answer.

It is a pity that your plasterboards will be in place as that would probably make for a much neater install.

MovedGoalPosts
28-08-2010, 12:36
Cables are generally routed round the outside walls of property from the box which will be placed somewhere on the outside front wall where the street cable is terminated. Holes are driled through the external wall and cables then run around skirtings to the final point where your equipment is located. There my be a small white box on the skirting where the cable is terminated near to your modem and set top box. You can usually discuss the desired positioning of these bits of kit, or cables with the installer.