PDA

View Full Version : VM New customer (to be!)

barnsley
14-08-2010, 10:29
Morning all

Not certain if this post is in the correct area but here goes.....

Placed my order with VM for home phone and XXL broadband about three weeks ago. The order was place over the phone and I was told that VM would be dealing with all aspects of the transfer and creasing of services from BT to VM, today I found out that this is NOT the case. I have been on the phone to India (VM) for 30 minutes then transferred to a UK based centre only to get a bit of lip service (not good enough VM). I now have been told that I have to cancel my services (Phoneline, ADSL & BT Vision) with BT directly as VM do not do this for me (why was I told otherwise). Any way, at least BT can handle my request to cease all services with speed, they were offering good prices for me to stay (but I feel the need for speed......). So BT services cancelled next Friday and phoneline to cease on Saturday (let's see?). I am giving VM one year (my minimum contract period) to provide a service and customer support that I expect or I'm back off to BT and I'll have to live with super slow broadband speeds. Is this normal practice from VM to tell you one thing and you have to find out it's just not true?

Sorry for the rant :mad:

barnsley

dave_dph
14-08-2010, 11:53
If you are porting your BT number to VM then VM will deal with this for you, in fact if you cancel your BT line yourself VM won't be able to port the number across.

You would have to cancel your ADSL and TV services yourself, VM cannot do this for you.

Digital Fanatic
14-08-2010, 12:21
Are you porting your number to VM? If so then they will deal with your BT 'phone, but as Dave says above, it's up to you to cancel BT Vision and broadband. HTH :)

barnsley
14-08-2010, 12:31
If you are porting your BT number to VM then VM will deal with this for you, in fact if you cancel your BT line yourself VM won't be able to port the number across.

You would have to cancel your ADSL and TV services yourself, VM cannot do this for you.

Are you porting your number to VM? If so then they will deal with your BT 'phone, but as Dave says above, it's up to you to cancel BT Vision and broadband. HTH :)

Hi both and thanks for your comments,

Yes I am having my phone number ported accross, this I understand, but the guy at VM sales told me that I did NOT have to do anything else with regards to BT (line or services on that line) VM would deal with these for me. I have now dealt with BT and VM (who better buck their customer service up). So Friday next week I'll loose my ADSL and no longer used BT Vision Service, then on Saturday (a week today) my BT phone line will be ceased and VM will install my new phone line and XXL broadband service (fingers crossed).

Just not happy to be told something that is NOT true by a sales person.

Thanks agin for the comments,

barnsley

dave_dph
14-08-2010, 12:43
Be very careful, if you have put a disconnection request to BT for the phone and BT go ahead and disconnect the service, VM will not be able to port your number. In order for a port to go through it has to be arranged and managed by the gaining operator.

I suggest you speak to VM, see if they have put a number port request into BT and if they have, what date is it due to happen? If it is the same day as your line disconnect date with BT you may well lose your number.

The ADSL and TV service disconnection make no difference to the number port.

The correct way to have handled this is to cancel your ADSl and TV service with BT but don't mention the basic phoneline at all. Then arrange for VM to port the number, their port request actually gives BT notice to cease the line on your behalf.

Digital Fanatic
14-08-2010, 13:02
Yes, make sure you've done as Dave says above or you will lose that BT number. :tu:

dave_dph
21-08-2010, 13:49
Yes I am having my phone number ported accross, this I understand, but the guy at VM sales told me that I did NOT have to do anything else with regards to BT (line or services on that line) VM would deal with these for me. I have now dealt with BT and VM (who better buck their customer service up). So Friday next week I'll loose my ADSL and no longer used BT Vision Service, then on Saturday (a week today) my BT phone line will be ceased and VM will install my new phone line and XXL broadband service (fingers crossed).

barnsley

How did the install go today? Did they port the BT number for you?

barnsley
21-08-2010, 15:23
How did the install go today? Did they port the BT number for you?

Afternoon,

I am only quite happy with the service. The physical installation went OK, cables and NTE's in the right places. However VM did not place an order for the my phone number to be ported accross from BT nor did VM enable Caller Display. I am only 65 metres away from the street cabinet and having done various speed tests, I'm getting around 40Mbps D/S and 1.59Mbps U/S, I was expecting closer to 50Mbps D/S! The signal levels are well within spec so just hoping that over the next few days things will settle.

Will keep you posted, now I have to decide what router I am going to purchase as I run a gigabit LAN at home (kids and video+music).

barnsley

Digital Fanatic
21-08-2010, 15:29
Afternoon,

I am only quite happy with the service. The physical installation went OK, cables and NTE's in the right places. However VM did not place an order for the my phone number to be ported accross from BT nor did VM enable Caller Display. I am only 65 metres away from the street cabinet and having done various speed tests, I'm getting around 40Mbps D/S and 1.59Mbps U/S, I was expecting closer to 50Mbps D/S! The signal levels are well within spec so just hoping that over the next few days things will settle.

Will keep you posted, now I have to decide what router I am going to purchase as I run a gigabit LAN at home (kids and video+music).

barnsley

It will vary between 40-50, so that's not bad to be honest.

Is the number port order on your account? It normally goes through on the day of install.(EDIT: just read it wasn't placed!)

Is your BT line still active? Is VM now putting the porting order through for you?

Have you got them to add Caller Display now?

barnsley
21-08-2010, 15:43
It will vary between 40-50, so that's not bad to be honest.

Is the number port order on your account? It normally goes through on the day of install.(EDIT: just read it wasn't placed!)

Is your BT line still active? Is VM now putting the porting order through for you?

Have you got them to add Caller Display now?

Hi there,

Just had a mess around with TCP/IP setting and now getting much closer to the magic figure, have a look: -

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/08/3.png

Download Failed (1)

Now that looks loads betters. My BT line is still active and VM are going to deal with it Monday AM so I was told by a lovely girl at a UK call centre.

Looks like the kids will giving t'net a good hammering!

barnsley

Digital Fanatic
21-08-2010, 17:33
Hi there,

Just had a mess around with TCP/IP setting and now getting much closer to the magic figure, have a look: -

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/08/3.png

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/bimages/27566697.jpg

Now that looks loads betters. My BT line is still active and VM are going to deal with it Monday AM so I was told by a lovely girl at a UK call centre.

Looks like the kids will giving t'net a good hammering!

barnsley

Good stuff :tu:

barnsley
22-08-2010, 09:15
Morning all,

Just been looking at my modem level stats and they seem to have shifted somewhat from yesterday. Surely this should not be, my D/S levels were all around the 0.0dBmV and my U/S was 43dBmV. D/S now around -1.2dBmV and U/S is dead on 52dBmV. Why should they have shifted? All the connections are as left by VM tech, these levels have had an undesiable affect on my U/S speed (was 1.6Mbps now max 756Kbps) Coming from a telco background this sort of shift tells me that there may be an issue external to my installation. I'm going to keep an eye on this as some of the goings on in the street cabinets is just not right (from the two man install team!), I pay for a reliable service and expect just that.

Will keep you posted.

barnsley

Peter_
22-08-2010, 10:28
Morning all,

Just been looking at my modem level stats and they seem to have shifted somewhat from yesterday. Surely this should not be, my D/S levels were all around the 0.0dBmV and my U/S was 43dBmV. D/S now around -1.2dBmV and U/S is dead on 52dBmV. Why should they have shifted? All the connections are as left by VM tech, these levels have had an undesiable affect on my U/S speed (was 1.6Mbps now max 756Kbps) Coming from a telco background this sort of shift tells me that there may be an issue external to my installation. I'm going to keep an eye on this as some of the goings on in the street cabinets is just not right (from the two man install team!), I pay for a reliable service and expect just that.

Will keep you posted.

barnsley
Your power levels are within specification and can fluctuate as mine are different from yesterday as well.

50Mb power levels click HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34896851-post3.html)

barnsley
24-08-2010, 20:19
Evening all,

Well after much ado service was great up until Sunday night/monday morning when broadband service was lost for 24hrs, contacted VMCS and was promptly put through to the 50Meg team. Looks like an issue with the modem so tech will be coming around on Wednesday afternoon. Strange thing is the service is now back up and working, though the levels are still up and down. Did not have this problem with BT, just there service was just somewhat slow compared to my 50Mbps!

Will keep you informed of the outcome.

barnsley

barnsley
25-08-2010, 15:10
Afternoon all,

Just had VM tech visit, can not find a fault but now my U/S speed is well down, have a look: -

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/bimages/27779725.jpg

The tech was clicking around on my pc trying to find something to blame (bandwidth hungry) and wanting to make changes to a very stable platform, not going to happen! Any how after 10 minutes of clicking and various speed test sites it was then a phone call for support, D/S seems to be OK, tell the customer that the U/S is also OK. I'm having none of that. VM state 50M D/S and 1.5M U/S, so I want very close to that, not 1/3 (less than 20% capacity in use at UBR). I was getting more than that on my BT ADSL (U/S).

Conclusion, we think it may be an equipment fault in the street cabinet and it's going to take 2 or 3 days to get a tech out to investigate.

So far still not very happy as the service was installed on Saturday and to date I have had over 24Hrs without a broadband connection, I'm still waiting on my BT number to be ported across and caller display to be setup.

So far not a bad start, NOT!

barnsley

weesteev
25-08-2010, 15:43
Could it be the speedtest website? What result do you get with Speedtest.net on the London server? Broadband speedchecker never seems to give me an accurate result for either U/S or D/S.

Dexstroyer
25-08-2010, 15:49
Im sure it'll turn out ok, my teething problems with setup with VM mobiles and 50MB all came out good,

I bought a DLink 655 router after having network issues on Xbox Live trying to get "open Nat" for up to 4 consoles this router does it nicely.

I have a Giga LAN which I installed with 3 x 8 port switches and a 1TB Linkstation Pro all works great and kids are happy with a fast wired connection anywhere in the house.

Whilst wireless is good and the router has wireless N you cant beat a cable ;)

barnsley
25-08-2010, 16:53
Could it be the speedtest website? What result do you get with Speedtest.net on the London server? Broadband speedchecker never seems to give me an accurate result for either U/S or D/S.

Hi there,

We (VM Tech and I) tried various sites for speed testing via the D-Link 615 (via CAT5) and direct CAT5 to the modem and got pretty much the same results every time (give or take a few bps). Just had a call from the Tech and someone else is coming out tomorrow to have a look in the street cab and then may be back at my end to check the CPE, though he will not be getting his hands on any of my pc's as my wife and I will be out at work and nobody touches them while we are not in.

I'm now looking at other routers to replace the D-Link 615 as I too use gigabit ethernet (2x switches and multiple devices) and Wi-Fi.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

barnsley

weesteev
26-08-2010, 07:31
Dlink 655 would be my reccomendation ;) Not that im biased in any way though!

barnsley
05-09-2010, 20:35
Evening all,

Well it's been a few weeks now since the installation of my 50Mb service and it's fairly stable however, the router (D-Link 615) is a different matter. We are having to reboot/power cycle the router 3 or 4 times per day (yes per day) because we are unable to connect to the outside world. This is what I don't expect, pervious supplier (BT) no real issues with free router and when I upgraded to a very good Netgear router I had zero problems.

Should I contact VMCS and get them to swap out the router before I go out and buy a replacement? The fault seems to be DHCP related, even when I reserve IP addresses for devices the problems still raises it's head (wired or wireless). My wife and the kids are giving me (home IT support) hell, because of this issue.

Thanks for reading,

barnsley

Peter_
05-09-2010, 20:39
Evening all,

Well it's been a few weeks now since the installation of my 50Mb service and it's fairly stable however, the router (D-Link 615) is a different matter. We are having to reboot/power cycle the router 3 or 4 times per day (yes per day) because we are unable to connect to the outside world. This is what I don't expect, pervious supplier (BT) no real issues with free router and when I upgraded to a very good Netgear router I had zero problems.

Should I contact VMCS and get them to swap out the router before I go out and buy a replacement? The fault seems to be DHCP related, even when I reserve IP addresses for devices the problems still raises it's head (wired or wireless). My wife and the kids are giving me (home IT support) hell, because of this issue.

Thanks for reading,

barnsley
If you originally set up the router with the disk try this instead, or just give it a try anyway.

D LINK ROUTER SETUP

The first thing you need to do is a pinhole reset if you look on the back of the router the is a grey reset hole, you take a pen and press it into the router while powered on for 15 seconds..

Then you wait for the lights all to turn green on the router then you look for a D Link network which is unsecured and you then connect to it wirelessly.

Then you go go online and in the address bar you get them to put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen

At the top we have Wi-Fi Protected Setup also known as WCN2, remove the Enable Pin tick and then go the Wireless Network Settings section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your own choice.

Then click on the security options drop down and choose WPA/WPA2 wireless security enhanced, then the Network key box will appear and in here they enter a password with a minimum length of 8 characters then click save settings and wait for it to finish.

You can now look for their newly named network and connect using their password.

You should now be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.

barnsley
05-09-2010, 20:47
If you originally set up the router with the disk try this instead, or just give it a try anyway.

D LINK ROUTER SETUP

The first thing you need to do is a pinhole reset if you look on the back of the router the is a grey reset hole, you take a pen and press it into the router while powered on for 15 seconds..

Then you wait for the lights all to turn green on the router then you look for a D Link network which is unsecured and you then connect to it wirelessly.

Then you go go online and in the address bar you get them to put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen

At the top we have Wi-Fi Protected Setup also known as WCN2, remove the Enable Pin tick and then go the Wireless Network Settings section and go to the box with the SSID which by default will be dlink and change it to one of your own choice.

Then click on the security options drop down and choose WPA/WPA2 wireless security enhanced, then the Network key box will appear and in here they enter a password with a minimum length of 8 characters then click save settings and wait for it to finish.

You can now look for their newly named network and connect using their password.

You should now be connected and it should have taken between 5 and 10 minutes to achieve this and the disk will make a nice coaster.

Evening,

Yep, done all this and more besides (never used the supplied CD, takes too long!), but still having the problems wired and wireless. Just don't want to spend money on a replacement router as the one supplied should work without fault, at least for the first twelve months. Looks like a call to VMCS within the next few days then.

barnsley

Peter_
05-09-2010, 20:49
Evening,

Yep, done all this and more besides (never used the supplied CD, takes too long!), but still having the problems wired and wireless. Just don't want to spend money on a replacement router as the one supplied should work without fault, at least for the first twelve months. Looks like a call to VMCS within the next few days then.

barnsley
They have a 2 year warranty so if the is a fault it will be replaced.;)