PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly installation but..

techguyone
10-08-2010, 12:34
I'm having a shift around and need to get the tv to the other side of the living room, i'm needing a longer cable from the splitter to do this. Existing fly lead is about 2m long, I reckon I need 4m

Do VM supply or fit these?

Or can I just get a cable made up, if so, where from.

dan dority
10-08-2010, 12:37
ebay maybe

Scrubbs
10-08-2010, 13:01
would this (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-5594.aspx) do?

I'm not sure, but for such a short run it might be ok??
I sure someone will put me right;)

techguyone
10-08-2010, 14:14
I have tried this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tv-virgin-ntl-sky-digital-5m-extension-cable-lead-coax-/230501165532?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item35aaf0a9dc

as VM on the phone ever so helpfully said 'they don't do cables' (even though every VM van has like a 100m drum of the stuff on board....)

dan dority
10-08-2010, 14:20
that will do nicely

tiberian911
10-08-2010, 14:36
I'm having a shift around and need to get the tv to the other side of the living room, i'm needing a longer cable from the splitter to do this. Existing fly lead is about 2m long, I reckon I need 4m

Do VM supply or fit these?

Or can I just get a cable made up, if so, where from.

I bought a made up cable very long gets from one side of lounge to other from home base - works a treat.

Stuart
10-08-2010, 15:10
I have tried this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tv-virgin-ntl-sky-digital-5m-extension-cable-lead-coax-/230501165532?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item35aaf0a9dc

as VM on the phone ever so helpfully said 'they don't do cables' (even though every VM van has like a 100m drum of the stuff on board....)

It would cost them a small fortune if they used the vans to deliver that every time someone needed a longer cable though..

Peter_
10-08-2010, 19:10
Be aware that to change the cabling supplied is actually in breach of the Terms and Conditions of your contract as you could have an adverse effect on the network due the possibility of noise ingress via the cable.

You can have the modem or set top box moved by Virgin Media but it is chageable and costs £99.

dan dority
10-08-2010, 19:24
Be aware that to change the cabling supplied is actually in breach of the Terms and Conditions of your contract as you could have an adverse effect on the network due the possibility of noise ingress via the cable.

You can have the modem or set top box moved by Virgin Media but it is chageable and costs £99.

thats a bit of a dilemma for the o.p. £5.49 or £99
i wonder which one he will go for.

Peter_
10-08-2010, 19:31
thats a bit of a dilemma for the o.p. £5.49 or £99
i wonder which one he will go for.
What I posted is the official line and quite correct about the Terms and Conditions though.:)

techguyone
10-08-2010, 19:34
I'm only swapping the fly lead from the splitter for a longer one (3m longer) quite how that can introduce anything back up the line is a bit beyond me, its also only the TV cable.

dan dority
10-08-2010, 19:35
What I posted is the official line and quite correct about the Terms and Conditions though.:)

im sure youre correct mate, what would you do if you were in the same situation as the o.p ?

Peter_
10-08-2010, 19:41
I'm only swapping the fly lead from the splitter for a longer one (3m longer) quite how that can introduce anything back up the line is a bit beyond me, its also only the TV cable.
No one can stop you altering the cable but it is only fair to warn about the possible implications of extending the cabling.:)

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

im sure youre correct mate, what would you do if you were in the same situation as the o.p ?
If you want to move the modem use a long ethernet cable instead, if you want to move the tv use a long scart/HDMI cable instead.

I can only advise you to do the above on a public forum and you would get a similar response from the official community forum (http://community.virginmedia.com/).

dan dority
10-08-2010, 19:55
No one can stop you altering the cable but it is only fair to warn about the possible implications of extending the cabling.:)

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

If you want to move the modem use a long ethernet cable instead, if you want to move the tv use a long scart/HDMI cable instead.

I can only advise you to do the above on a public forum and you would get a similar response from the official community forum (http://community.virginmedia.com/).

thats fair enough masque , but £99 seems a bit OTT imo.

Peter_
10-08-2010, 20:35
thats fair enough masque , but £99 seems a bit OTT imo.
It is a standard price and most companies do likewise due to them sending a trained engineer with meter and access to the cabinet to adjust the levels correctly, plus route and fit the box, as this would not be a length of cable fitted but the complete connection box moved.

If you consider that British Gas can charge £165 for a one off callout even if you are not one off their customers to fix your boiler and all it may need is rubber diaphragm costing less than a tenner.

JPoll
10-08-2010, 23:21
£99 is fair money IMO. Your paying for expertise, as opposed to just materials, and complying with the terms you agreed to. I'm looking at having to pay to get a cable re-routed though not just yet as I have other priorities. I've learned to ask for a bit of slack on the cable when the engineer installed my other boxes. So pre-emptive lesson learnt... just need a spare £99 now.