PDA

View Full Version : Freeview signal question

Russ
01-08-2010, 21:33
I've just plugged my tv in to an old aerial port with a freeview box and it couldn't find any channels. I'm in a freeview area so is this likely to be due to the antenna not being good enough or is a booster likely to help?

zing_deleted
01-08-2010, 21:51
you need a high gain aerial I believe about 20 quid to buy but about £150 to get one installed lol

Graham M
01-08-2010, 23:19
Just do it yourself if able, it's not rocket science :)

nodrogd
01-08-2010, 23:22
Could be the signal is too weak or possibly the aerial being the wrong group for digital reception. Have a check on WOLFBANES (http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?) coverage predictor. This should give you a guide as to what is needed in your area.

Kymmy
02-08-2010, 09:26
Could also be something as simple as old co-ax..

If replacing the antenna on an old system then also replace the co-ax, that way you're sure of the best possible signal..

Russ
02-08-2010, 12:12
I'm really in a position to replace to aerial so I'm thinking of getting a hi-gain indoor one instead now.

Kymmy
02-08-2010, 12:57
Problam with indoor is that you really need an antenna two grades above the equiv outdoor one. In other words if wolfbanes denotes a Hi-gain antenna is needed then indoors you'd need not an extran hi-gain but instead a super hi-gain... Outside is always best and in some areas outside with a masthead amp is the only way. Check wolfsbane site and let us know what it suggests

danielf
02-08-2010, 13:02
I've just plugged my tv in to an old aerial port with a freeview box and it couldn't find any channels. I'm in a freeview area so is this likely to be due to the antenna not being good enough or is a booster likely to help?

Is that plug actually hooked up to anything or is it just a bit of coax coming out of the wall?

Russ
02-08-2010, 17:50
It's connected to the outside aerial.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Actually that question got me thinking and I had a look at the coax plug going in to my freeview box which seemed a bit worn. I replaced it with a new plug and bingo! I have channels! Only thing is some of them are missing, ITV for example. After numerous scans I'm still missing them so does this mean an amplifier will get them for me?

Kymmy
02-08-2010, 18:08
Maybe, amplifiers are best when close to the antenna, that way you're just amplifying the signal and not all the electrical noise...

What's the make/model of the freeview box and how old is it.. just that some of the older ones will no longer pick up all of the channels anymore. Also make sure you do a full hardware reset before scanning especially if the box has been used elsewhere

Russ
02-08-2010, 18:23
It's a DURABRAND CG5660-M and is about a year or so old. Doesn't look to be the most reliable box according what I'm reading online.

Kymmy
02-08-2010, 20:07
It should be fine with all the channels as it was made after the network upgrade. Grab an amp from argos, if it works great if it doesn't then you can take it back on the 16 day return policy ;)

nodrogd
03-08-2010, 16:41
Just noticed your location. If the aerial was put up for analogue and you are receiving from Waltham then you will be a lucky person to get all the digital channels. Analogue from Waltham is in the Group C/D range, but with digital, Mux 1, C & D are in the Group B range and Mux 2, A & B are right down in Group A, so a wideband aerial should really be used, unless you're very close to the Tx and can get away with it.

If you receive from Sutton Coldfield there should be no problem as everything is in Group B.

Russ
03-08-2010, 17:34
Just tried an amplifier, it made no difference.

Chris
03-08-2010, 17:46
... in which case, the aerial on the roof is most likely the wrong group. You need a wideband aerial (identifiable by the black plastic bung on its tip).

Russ
03-08-2010, 20:43
Ouch, upward of £100 then :(

nodrogd
04-08-2010, 16:28
Try contacting someone from the licenced installer scheme (http://www.rdi-lb.tv/), as you are less likely to get ripped off.

It might possibly cost £100, but if its put up properly and lasts 10 or more years, and there's no reason it shouldn't, its a pretty good bargain

Kymmy
04-08-2010, 17:20
Russ, Just popped into Screwfix today and they've got a decent hi-gain antenna at £14.99 (normally £19.99)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60215/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Aerials-Fixings/Labgear-TV-Aerial-High-Gain-Digital