PDA

View Full Version : Old dog new tricks?

redspike
31-07-2010, 08:30
Hello, this is my first post on this forum, I have been reading some of the posts and found them very informative. I chose a Hitachi 28LD5200E 5 years ago. I have finally got round to twisting Virgin's arm into giving me a free + box which is being delivered next week but now I am unsure if I can get HD content to work. If I get an SA box can I connect via either component and audio or DVI D to HDMI and 3.5mm audio to 2 phono leads? Is HDCP turned on? I know my tv is complient through DVI D. If I get a Samsung box can I only connect via DVI D to HDMI and get a scart through connector with audio out and will that work ? I am not sure if the tv will show a digital signal from DVI D and an audio signal from AV4. I have component cables for my DVD playyer but do not have any of the other cables or adapters. I would appreciate your help as to my best solution.

I currently have broadband M, tv L, TALK 200 and Sky Sports and they agreed to increase tv to XL and talk to unlimited along with installation of hd+ box for £65/ month.

My new smart card arrived last week, I live in the SM postal area.

Soon I shall say goodbye to my Telewest box and hopefully will be able to watch in HD.

spiderplant
31-07-2010, 10:59
It sounds like you've already got much the right idea. Both V+ models require the TV to support HDCP on HDMI.

If you get a SA V+, you can use component or HDMI, and get sound from the phonos. A Samsung V+ doesn't have component output. You'll need a SCART-to-3.5mm lead to get sound - use the VCR SCART socket on the V+. But this will depend on the input combinations you can select on the TV. Experiment or read the manual.

ps. Welcome to the forum!

redspike
31-07-2010, 21:54
Many thanks, spiderplant,

Let's see what the man brings. I hope it's the SA V+ box.

redspike
05-08-2010, 22:24
So just a quick update. The man came with a Samsung box but happily checked to see if he has a SA box when asked. All installed fine with scart. Got a dvi d adapter. Attatched it and re-set the box to Hi Def and WOW so much crispy sharp delight. There is life in the old dog after all.