PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Spotter not responding :( for new install

wyabcp
30-07-2010, 09:45
I'm in the process of purchasing a house, the vendor had said that virgin cable wouldn't be a problem... pretty much set on getting this place now and one prereqs was to make sure Virgin cable is available.
To confirm i asked for a spotter to check, however he's seen the wrong house number and reported it's not possible, after trying to get him back to check the correct house , i've had no response.
now the land the house is on used to be serviced by virgin, however those original properties have been knocked down, and this new place built on the same land. so there is a trap in the pavement but i'm none the wiser whether i can get the feed to the front door... looks like i might be forced to use Sky... as i can't pull out of the house purchase now.
Now if necessary i'm willing to lay the coax myself, given the right spec i know this isn't rocket science. do you think these guys will connect up my on coax ?

Matty_Boy
30-07-2010, 11:48
My g/f recently took out a 4 vbox + internet contract with virgin. The engineers came over and spent about 3 hours getting coax from the street cabinet to the house and then splitting it into 5 coax runs inside the house + setting up all 4 boxes. So if they're willing to do that, I don't see why they wouldnt run a new coax to your house if it's in the street. My experience with then guys that came over was really good, I pointed out where I wanted the various cables runs to go and they happily obliged.

wyabcp
30-07-2010, 12:03
it's probably got to do with the driveway and not being able to put the cable underground...

MovedGoalPosts
30-07-2010, 14:33
Is there a "T" point in the road pavement directly in front of your property. If yes, you may be ble to get cable. If no then there is very little chance.

You can't run the cable yourself, even if you can source it. The cable is infact two bonded units, coaxial and phone. It would be run as a continuous length from the street cabinet to the front wall of your house where there would be a small box placed during the installation. The cable will normally be buried across your front garden from the T point to the front wall of your house. Finished paved surfaces can make cable installation difficult.

wyabcp
30-07-2010, 16:11
thanks for the replies, yes there is T point in the pavement, it was there for the previous houses which were knocked down on the land where the new house is. this was five years ago, when building the house they obviously didn't bother checking the cable ... the new house doesn't have a front garden but instead a drive way and a graveled area around the garage in front of the house.... if they can't put it under the gravel ..... i think i'm going to be out of luck....

weesteev
02-08-2010, 13:28
Hi wyapcb

Your home should be serviceable, its possible that the developer when building the new homes hasn't contact us about a connection so the old homes were removed from the database and the new homes not added.

If theres a Tee point already then half the work is done, the spotter should be able to release the homes for sale quickly. The only problems I can see are if you have a block paving driveway or no ground access to the edge of your home for the cable run, but if you do then it shouldn't be a problem.

Phone up customer services and get then to log a spotter request and it will be dealt with by the local spotter. If the job falls out of the matrix for installs to do the work then it may be passed to the New Build team to sort.

Good luck and keep us posted!

wyabcp
02-08-2010, 14:57
Hi Weesteev
Thanks for the information, I've had a spotter round there already however, he had the wrong house number. I've tried to get him back round there but I've been getting a response. In the meantime i've logged it with cablemystreet.
The house is the first house back from the pavement, and a overground cable run around the side shouldn't be a problem. It'll be a month or so before i move in so hopefully will get it sorted by then.... really don't want to have to resort to Sky, especially as i've heard rumours of Tivo being introduced :D