PDA

View Full Version : Installation standards

barnsley
24-07-2010, 15:10
Afternoon all,

First post so don't :afire: me. I am in the process of moving from BT to VM (50Meg + phone), and wonder how deep the hybrid cable will be 'planted' through my front lawn and will it be in flexi-conduit or directly burried? The reason I ask is next door's cable is less than 7" directly burried and a mates has been cut three times due to it being accessable (surface laid, no physical protection). Also is it correct that the install team are now permitted to drill through internal walls?

Look forward to your replies,

barnsley :wavey:

MovedGoalPosts
24-07-2010, 15:16
The cable should be at least a spade's depth deep, and normally run inside a flexible green hose like pipe.

If installers cannot drill through the external wall how will the new cable feed get from the street to inside the property?

barnsley
24-07-2010, 15:26
The cable should be at least a spade's depth deep, and normally run inside a flexible green hose like pipe.

If installers cannot drill through the external wall how will the new cable feed get from the street to inside the property?

I thought it should be 'at least' a spades depth and in green flexi. The drilling of holes bit, not from the outside world to indoors, but the internal walls. Next was told they (installers) are NOT permitted to drill internal walls and have to cleat the cable around skirting and door frames (not in my house!). I'm looking at drilling all holes (internal and external) and only one route from box on wall at front of house to where I want the cable modem and router installed. Not being fussy, but I seen some very messy installations that I as the customer would not have accepted.

barnsley :wavey:

jb66
24-07-2010, 16:49
They drill internally if it makes life easier, it's a spades depth if possible (won't be that deep under a hedge or close to slabing.

fudge
24-07-2010, 20:06
When mine was laid many years ago now , it was only put a few inches under the grass with no covering. Im often catching it when im gardening.

djmagnifique
24-07-2010, 21:47
If they won't drill through the internal walls as them not to secure the cable to the skirting boards and say you will do it yourself. That way the signal levels should be set corrctly and you can drill through yourself. any excess cable can be rolled up and secured with cable ties and hidden behind a cabinet/chair/whatever which I have done.

jb66
24-07-2010, 22:45
Where is this coming from, virgin have always drilled through internal walls, you have to to get the cables from room to room