PDA

View Full Version : How many devices?

JPoll
21-07-2010, 11:13
How many set top boxes can you run on a cable before it needs upgraded?

The tech that installed our 4th stb says he'd arrange an upgrade (repull I think the term is) but never got back to me but he emphasised it needed done. Now I'm not having issues (apart from ondemand being really slow but do not know if this is related) basically I am unsure of the need to chase this up with Vm.

Any advice gratefully received.

spiderplant
21-07-2010, 12:40
The answer varies depending on the signal strength coming into the house. If you are not having problems I suggest you leave it.

If your On Demand is slow, that's more likely to be caused by the load on the servers rather than anything in your house.

JPoll
21-07-2010, 14:24
Resolved. The works date is for next week it was just the engineer didn't give me a call to inform me so the cable is being upgraded and all will be well. Means in the future I can get a fifth box in without worrying.

Thanks for your response spiderplant.

PS. Just as I typed this a van pulled up to check that it can go ahead.

weesteev
21-07-2010, 20:58
If one drop cable doesn't cut it then a second can always be fitted as long as their is a spare tap port outside. Not all services have to be run from the one drop cable. Hope it works out for you!

JPoll
21-07-2010, 22:57
thanks a mill. I'll post back next week when it's hopefully done.

Jonnymeg
22-07-2010, 17:55
The use of HDU's (amps) can accommodate more set tops than you would ever need.
Cable upgrades are not always needed.

Peter_
22-07-2010, 18:09
I have seen an account with 5 V+boxes and a modem on 20Mb and I have heard of one house that actually had 9 V+ boxes and it was a private residence.:erm:;)

weesteev
22-07-2010, 18:52
I have a friend running a guest house with 11 V+ boxes currently. It runs over 2 drops both with powered HDU's. The number of boxes in your home is really only limited by the number of TV's. There is always a workaround when more connections are required.

:)

Peter_
22-07-2010, 18:54
I have a friend running a guest house with 11 V+ boxes currently. It runs over 2 drops both with powered HDU's. The number of boxes in your home is really only limited by the number of TV's. There is always a workaround when more connections are required.

Thats a guest house so understandable but a private residence with 9.:erm:

Hom3r
22-07-2010, 18:57

Will they be paying the £7 per box for the HD movie & sport channels :D

JPoll
22-07-2010, 20:06
I'd have happily takin V+ boxes if they were offered, box No.5 is going down in the dining room before the end of the year. I'm hoping there's deal for the Tivo box if you keep your existing set up, and the wife would kill me if I coughed up more money for Virgin so soon. lol.

Peter_
22-07-2010, 20:10
I'd have happily takin V+ boxes if they were offered, box No.5 is going down in the dining room before the end of the year. I'm hoping there's deal for the Tivo box if you keep your existing set up, and the wife would kill me if I coughed up more money for Virgin so soon. lol.
The Tivo will undoubtedly have an upgrade price for it so do not expect to get one for free.;)

JPoll
22-07-2010, 20:12
The Tivo will undoubtedly have an upgrade price for it so do not expect to get one for free.;)

Well at least free installation and a bit knocked off for keeping all the existing boxes. :erm::D

Peter_
22-07-2010, 20:15
Well at least free installation and a bit knocked off for keeping all the existing boxes. :erm::D
The Tivo will be expected to be a money spinner as was the V+ when it used to cost £150 per box to get one so I would not expect the Tivo to be much different.

The will be a demand for the boxes and customers will pay for the kudos of being first as with every new thing that comes out.

JPoll
22-07-2010, 20:22
The Tivo will be expected to be a money spinner as was the V+ when it used to cost £150 per box to get one so I would not expect the Tivo to be much different.

The will be a demand for the boxes and customers will pay for the kudos of being first as with every new thing that comes out.

If it's too expensive to get from the domestic funds I'll claim it as my Christmas present. I'll forego my new coins if I have to. :(:) Will there be a pre-order system to get first in the queue, do ya think?

Peter_
22-07-2010, 20:26
If it's too expensive to get from the domestic funds I'll claim it as my Christmas present. I'll forego my new coins if I have to. :(:) Will there be a pre-order system to get first in the queue, do ya think?
I could not even begin to guess what will happen but likely they will go out on an area basis at first similar to the 50Mb rollout.

I may be completely wrong here by the way and only time will tell.

JPoll
22-07-2010, 20:32
I could not even begin to guess what will happen but likely they will go out on an area basis at first similar to the 50Mb rollout.

I may be completely wrong here by the way and only time will tell.

I was just asking your opinion and appreciate the feedback. Only time will tell is correct I think, here's to hoping NI is a region that isn't left til last as 50mb was, well it felt like that, lol.

Peter_
22-07-2010, 20:34
I was just asking your opinion and appreciate the feedback. Only time will tell is correct I think, here's to hoping NI is a region that isn't left til last as 50mb was, well it felt like that, lol.
They could just do a few trial areas then release it for order as with the VHD box.

JPoll
22-07-2010, 20:37
They could just do a few trial areas then release it for order as with the VHD box.

that sounds better! :D /fingers crossed

JPoll
27-07-2010, 14:22
Scheduled for 1pm to 6pm so nipped out and they came early...

Runs ok right through the garden and then they tucked it under the fence I share with my heinous neighbours. On the plus side everything is working super quick and the pictures look sharper than before.