PDA

View Full Version : Install + Construction Issues

scottafc1
20-07-2010, 12:15
So my install was scheduled for Wednesday 21st July. I received a call on Monday 19th July to confirm that an installer would come between 1pm and 6pm, so all was looking good at this point. Then about an hour later we received an answer phone message from the construction team saying that our installation has been put on hold. So I rung the construction team up to see what the issue was. They explained that apparently a team has been out today to try and pull the cables through to my house. They said that there is 20 metres of ducting missing so they couldn't complete the job and there manager needs to come out and see if it can be done. So at this point I realised that they needed to dig the road up to install the final 20 metres of ducting underground. I will attach an image showing you the distance from my house and to the fibre optic manhole cover. This is were they are saying that there is no ducting to our house.

My question is what is the likely-hood of virgin media digging this small piece of road up to install the ducting? I also know other neighbours in my street are looking into the possibility of buying virgins broadband etc, so would this help them to make there decision of digging the road up? Also is there any other way that they could do it?

weesteev
20-07-2010, 19:29
If it costs in and the Area Manager OK's it then it will be done. If not then it will be passed to the New Build team and we would look at the cost to serve the homes there that cant currently get service.

The construction team should advise you soon, I know they turn around jobs pretty quickly at the moment.

Best of luck!

scottafc1
20-07-2010, 19:34
If it costs in and the Area Manager OK's it then it will be done. If not then it will be passed to the New Build team and we would look at the cost to serve the homes there that cant currently get service.

The construction team should advise you soon, I know they turn around jobs pretty quickly at the moment.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply, how much does it usually cost to do a job like this, because I think they will have to re cable all of our street.

weesteev
20-07-2010, 22:59
It depends on what work is required and the amount of capacity upgrades required to provide service to those houses. In most cases its not just a few hundred or even thousand punds, but often tens of thousands of pounds. Its impossible for me to guess without knowing more as pretty much every project is different for many different reasons.

Vague answer I know but once initial surveys are complete we should know more. If the construction/install teams can deal with it then its clearly cost effective but looking at that map, if there is no duct in your cul-de-sac and the closest chamber is in the footpath on the main road then it would be a few £k to provide service, and that's even if capacity is in place already!

jungleguy
21-07-2010, 06:23
looks like they'll have to cross over a road which will up the cost of this job considerably.

getting your neighbors on board won't help. It's all about the cost per house.

Are there any CATV manhole covers in your road?

good luck