PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DIR-615 continually dropping wired connections

Farley Flavors
03-07-2010, 10:54
I've got four devices connected to a hub which has a wired connection to the router, and another wired connection from a single P.C. to the router. The problem is that every so often the connection will drop from one or more of the devices connected to the hub. And occasionally when the directly connected P.C. is rebooted, the connection won't re-establish either.

The solution is to power off and on the router. Sometimes it will take multiple reboots for the connections to re-establish.

I had the exact same system setup with the old Netgear router and never experienced anything like this.

Any ideas ? Dodgy router maybe ?

Peter_
03-07-2010, 11:03
I would call support now and let them diagnose the problem.

Farley Flavors
03-07-2010, 14:15
Called support and they told me to change my wireless channel from 7 to 11.

I have no idea why the wireless channel selection would affect the wired connection but I was assured that changing it would give a different channel to the wired connections and that would solve my problem.

Sirius
03-07-2010, 15:09
Called support and they told me to change my wireless channel from 7 to 11.

I have no idea why the wireless channel selection would affect the wired connection but I was assured that changing it would give a different channel to the wired connections and that would solve my problem.

It have nothing to do with it, They have given you wrong information completely. There script must have thrown a wobbly

Farley Flavors
03-07-2010, 16:55
Yeah that's what I figured. I did ask multiple times why the wireless channel would have any effect on the wired connections.

I'll call up again next time the connection drops.

Peter_
03-07-2010, 20:42
It have nothing to do with it, They have given you wrong information completely. There script must have thrown a wobbly
Can only have been offshore as onshore would have been more helpful.;)

Sirius
03-07-2010, 20:50
Can only have been offshore as onshore would have been more helpful.;)

Fully agree m8, Never had a bad call to tech support that was in this country.

Farley Flavors
04-07-2010, 11:09
Well guessed people, it was indeed offshore support :rolleyes:

I'd deliberately changed the wireless channel to 7 as I was getting interference so I was reluctant to change it to channel 11. No amount of discussion was going to get him to admit that it wouldn't have any effect on a wired connection.

I'll try calling support again tomorrow morning and hope for a U.K. engineer.

Sirius
04-07-2010, 11:44
Well guessed people, it was indeed offshore support :rolleyes:

I'd deliberately changed the wireless channel to 7 as I was getting interference so I was reluctant to change it to channel 11. No amount of discussion was going to get him to admit that it wouldn't have any effect on a wired connection.

I'll try calling support again tomorrow morning and hope for a U.K. engineer.

After 08:00 should get you some good help from the support guys and girls here in the UK ;)

Farley Flavors
06-07-2010, 09:54
Got offshore support again, put on hold for 5 minutes then the line was transferred with no warning to some sort of home support line offering to fix my problem for as little as 20p :rolleyes:

Made it clear I wasn't interested in paying for a fix to a router problem and finally got transferred to U.K. support. Yay !

He couldn't help much though. He got me to refresh the I.P. at the client end of a broken connection and that brought the line back. I was told to keep an eye on the router and look for unusual light sequences when the dropouts occurrred but it's highly unlikely that I'll catch it in progress.

Sure enough, I rebooted the directly connected P.C. later yesterday and the connection didn't re-establish.

I'm told I can't get a replacement Netgear router unless it can be confirmed that there's a problem with the D-Link so I guess I'm going to have to put up with regularly rebooting the router :(