PDA

View Full Version : Install Advice

7nitram8
01-07-2010, 15:57
First post here so Hi all.

I had my 50mb broadband connected 2 weeks which was placed in the living room and i've been connected through wireless.

Trouble is my wireless is only reveiving a signal strength of between 45% > 60% so i feel it is affecting speeds. My speeds are between 20mb > 30mb.
Is this right?

The engineer who came round was only a service engineer who told my partner (i wasn't there) they get the instal jobs when they're quiet and that connecting it all in the living room (as thats where the cable enters) and going wireless is fine. Yet i wanted the connection near the computer to connect through Ethernet (the Mrs forgot i mentioned that).

Have had an engineer come out today to sort some high downstream power issues and low upstream power issues (this could affect speeds too) and informed me because a service engineer carried out the instal i should tell virgin this and they will change it for me. i.e. instal it in the rear living room near the computer.

Would this be right?

daaaveee
01-07-2010, 16:01
They should change it for you I think, at least when mine was installed the guy was happy to put the modem next to the PCs in the next room along from the front room where the cable entered.

jb66
01-07-2010, 16:06
They wont change it as the service tech was not told to put it near the computer. Your partner forgot to mention so its her fault. If they do it'll be at least a £35 charge for another engineer visit

7nitram8
01-07-2010, 16:09
i have a principle tech coming Saturday so will ask him then if he can do it quickly.

If not i'll look into getting it sorted.

Failing that i've some homeplugs to try out tomorrow that may help.

jb66
01-07-2010, 16:34
If you have a tech coming out then no harm asking, although he may change your wireless channel and install the dongle, that can bring your speeds up

7nitram8
01-07-2010, 16:41
i've already changed my channel from 6 to 11 (two other routers were on 6 nearby)

and i've got the DWA-140 Dlink dongle installed.

but my signal is still only 45 > 55% and i'm, as the crow flies, only 5 meters from my router. Maybe because it's sat next to the TV, PS3 etc it's messing with the wireless signal?

jb66
01-07-2010, 17:30
Try 13, for some reason I always find that good