PDA

View Full Version : Had enough...

idontpirate
30-06-2010, 21:51
Ive just been on the support forum for the past few days and to be honest im shocked with what ive seen.

There are tech support people on there that disagree with eachother... Pretty scary.

So yeah, i went on and posted that i was getting 0.3mbit. We finally concluded that it was the router (i removed it and connected directly to the modem).

Then about 12 hours later an admin replied "Can you confirm that it is the router causing this problerm?" so i said yes. 2 days have passed and no reply... I did contact their support line before and got told i had to pay £60 for a white netgear router so i hung up on them.

This is my 3rd time posting on the forum regarding this issue, my 10th time contacting the support phone number and i just dont know what to do any more.

If they think im going to buy a new router, they can think again.

They also reset my router and the passwords are changed, now i cant even get in there.

the-cable-guy
01-07-2010, 02:18
did VM give you the router or did you buy it yourself ? if you got it from them then they should replace it, if not then if you get the right person & you havent had a VM router before they may send you one out. but their only meant to do it for new customers so you might not get one, as i say tho it depends of who you speak to on the phone as iv managed to get four routers out of them but your more likely to get one if you'v never had one before. good luck :o)

kwikbreaks
01-07-2010, 08:37
If they think im going to buy a new router, they can think again.

I think VM's responsibility ends at the modem or STB. True they dish out a free router to new customers and on upgrades but unlike the modem it then becomes your property. You may scam a replacement but I don't think you're entitled to one. Routers are not hugely expensive - especially second hand ones.

kwikbreaks
01-07-2010, 09:36
Your router problems sounds to me like it could be overheating (reboot won't cool it but swapping will be to a cold one) although why it runs for months without issue is a complete mystery for sure unless the problems coincide with some activity which gives the router a bit of a pasting (heavy wireless use maybe).

weesteev
01-07-2010, 09:44
The router is supplied by Virgin but carries a 12 month manufacturers warranty. If it is outwith this period then it becoems your property and responsibility, a replacement would be chargeable if Virgin supply new equipment. Im not sure about the £60 charge, that sounds steep. I always thought it was £40 for the wireless G and £50 for the wireless N.

On a side note, Ebay is flooded with the Dlink 615's that people get with their new Installs and dont need them, you can pick one up for about £10-£15 these days.

Peter_
01-07-2010, 11:21
The router is supplied by Virgin but carries a 12 month manufacturers warranty.
All our routers come with a 2 year service warranty.;)

kwikbreaks
01-07-2010, 12:29
All our routers come with a 2 year service warranty.;)
So will you swap them out for the two years (ie send a replacement immediately) or does the customer have to post it off for repair?

Peter_
01-07-2010, 12:40
So will you swap them out for the two years (ie send a replacement immediately) or does the customer have to post it off for repair?
If the router is found to be faulty during diagnostics we will send out a replacement via the Home Delivery Network.

After 2 years it is then up to you if you want to purchase your own or one from the company.

kwikbreaks
01-07-2010, 14:38
That's pretty good - I'd assumed that as it was a freebie getting it fixed would be pretty much down to the customer.

Peter_
01-07-2010, 15:15
That's pretty good - I'd assumed that as it was a freebie getting it fixed would be pretty much down to the customer.
Below is taken from HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html)

The wireless router has been designed for use with Virgin Media's Broadband service and includes a 2-year service warranty (for wireless router, wireless USB adapter and wireless laptop card) but this is dependent on you remaining a Virgin Media Broadband customer and using the Broadband and wireless equipment that we provide to you and recommend you use during that 2-year period.

kwikbreaks
01-07-2010, 16:34
Have you seen the mass of T&C you get with a VM signup :shocked:

I just did what I expect most do - signed it and filed it and hoped I won't need it.

Peter_
01-07-2010, 17:22

I just did what I expect most do - signed it and filed it and hoped I won't need it.
We have to go through them in training so we know where to look if required.;)

weesteev
01-07-2010, 17:50
Good to know masque, 2 years is better than 1 !!

Chrysalis
01-07-2010, 21:00

haha I didnt even sign it :)

however I remember reading somewhere once its live and you using it then it is the equivelent to signing it.

kwikbreaks
02-07-2010, 08:15
I ordered through a cashback service and from what I recall I had to sign and post back something to confirm the order and accept the T&C. There was more legaleese in the complete package than I've ever seen for anything I've had to sign before. I expect somewhere in there I've donated my soul, organs, children, and wife to the bearded one's empire.

idontpirate
02-07-2010, 17:05
Ive had the router 6 months~
Its a white netgear and im on 20mbit

the-cable-guy
03-07-2010, 14:23
I think VM's responsibility ends at the modem or STB. True they dish out a free router to new customers and on upgrades but unlike the modem it then becomes your property. You may scam a replacement but I don't think you're entitled to one. Routers are not hugely expensive - especially second hand ones.

VM are meant to provide support for routers that they'v supplied.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Ive had the router 6 months~
Its a white netgear and im on 20mbit

ok but did you buy it yourself or did VM give it to you ?

TheNorm
03-07-2010, 17:33
.... We finally concluded that it was the router ...If they think im going to buy a new router, they can think again.

I get somethinbg similar: ....

The problem might not be the router itself, but the PSU. These do wear out, especially if you have "flaky" mains power.