PDA

View Full Version : can i cancel 50 meg

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 17:48
i had installed last week but not happy with the speeds TBH i cant see no difference between this and 20 meg

Thanks

Andy

Peter_
28-06-2010, 17:53
You have 30 days to decide if you want to cancel.

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 18:11
thanks

pip08456
28-06-2010, 19:37
If you cannot see the difference of speed then it may help if you can post your modem upload and download stats.

If there is a problem we can see then you can get it sorted within the 30 day period.

It also depends on what you are using your connection for as to if you will see a significant difference.

jb66
28-06-2010, 19:39
The 50meg modem is downgradable

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 20:23
I am using a netgear wireless router standard issue

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 20:29

so that means i can keep the modem but downgrade

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

I am using a netgear wireless router standard issue

them speeds are quite a shame to say they are uncapped.

same speeds through a fast ethernet, also in this day and age i thought the speeds would be better accross all platforms.......i understand that some usb dongles wont be able to produce them speeds....but the engineer when called my mobile said he would supply us with a dongle, and we never recieved, should we have ? (i was at work when he called) so i could not inform my gf of this
and return home to find no dongle.....im not sure if misinterpreted him...do people receive dongles capable of these speeds ?

sorry for all the questions :-)

swoop101
28-06-2010, 20:31
repeat the test using another server, manchester is quite often slow

also go here http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php and run the optimiser

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 20:41

what do i do with the optimizer? does it configure tcp settings ?? thanks for the reply just wondered how it works.......this is not the only test i have done...i also did a sun (java) same results 2)

jb66
28-06-2010, 20:44

same speeds through a fast ethernet, also in this day and age i thought the speeds would be better accross all platforms.......i understand that some usb dongles wont be able to produce them speeds....but the engineer when called my mobile said he would supply us with a dongle, and we never recieved, should we have ? (i was at work when he called) so i could not inform my gf of this
and return home to find no dongle.....im not sure if misinterpreted him...do people receive dongles capable of these speeds ?

The 50meg modem can be switched back to 20. You are entitled to a wireless N dongle which can handle 50meg (depending on distance etc) This should help you get better speeds, I usually find changing wireless channel (13 is good for me normally) can improve speeds

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

You only optimize xp, vista and windows 7 do this automatically for 50meg, London server is reccomended by Virgin

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 20:49
The 50meg modem can be switched back to 20. You are entitled to a wireless N dongle which can handle 50meg (depending on distance etc) This should help you get better speeds, I usually find changing wireless channel (13 is good for me normally) can improve speeds

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

You only optimize xp, vista and windows 7 do this automatically for 50meg, London server is reccomended by Virgin

Thanks, so basically I should have recieved a (n) dongle. Which he stated and never gave us :mad:

Peter_
28-06-2010, 20:50
It is but not on all uBR's some end up needing a technician to switch them back to a standard modem, not many but it does happen.

How do I know, I had a unhappy customer without a connection due to a downgrade.

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 21:02
It is but not on all uBR's some end up needing a technician to switch them back to a standard modem, not many but it does happen.

How do I know, I had a unhappy customer without a connection due to a downgrade.

Thanks, TBH, I think i may downgrade due to the poor customer service I have received. If i take a contract for 50m, I expect 50meg, I have never had problems with the 20meg and was happy with that (20meg) service.

Off subject i also recieved there HD box and recieved it (the box started buzzing) within 30 days I phoned customer services.. A lady answered my questions..(asked if i could return the box and cancel, she offered replacement) she said no,i cant cancel i have to have it for a year(box)......but this was with the two for 20 deal...(hd+50meg) so well within the 30 days limit, im feeling quite upset now, as i feelin im pouring money down the drain, also when applied i thought it was 2 for £20 (with no installation charges)

Peter_
28-06-2010, 21:04
Thanks, TBH,I think i may downgrade due to the poor customer service....if i take a contract for 50m, I expect 50m,never had problems with the 20m
Remember that the is no guarantee that you will ever get 50Mb and that it is only advertised as up to 50Mb.

andybr1ggs
28-06-2010, 21:13
Remember that the is no guarantee that you will ever get 50Mb and that it is only advertised as up to 50Mb.

nice way to earn money i wouldnt mind 33meg not 14meg...anything above 20meg would be better

Peter_
28-06-2010, 21:16
nice way to earn money i wouldnt mind 33meg not 14meg...anything above 20meg would be better
Have you rang in as that is obviously not right.

Also please post the upstream and downstream power levels only, nothing else just those 2 pages just click here. http://192.168.100.1/

jb66
28-06-2010, 21:45

AFAIK 50Mb should be dam close to 50Mb, anything under 40 and I need to stage the job to a principle technician.

Peter_
28-06-2010, 22:00
AFAIK 50Mb should be dam close to 50Mb, anything under 40 and I need to stage the job to a principle technician.
You said it below 40Mb.;)

Whenever we book a 50Mb customer callout it should always be a principal tech.:erm:;)

jb66
29-06-2010, 07:20
You said it below 40Mb.;)

Whenever we book a 50Mb customer callout it should always be a principal tech.:erm:;)

again what your told differs from what happens

Peter_
29-06-2010, 08:31
again what your told differs from what happens
Then the customer gets angry when a standard tech turns up as process is not being followed.;)

Ignitionnet
29-06-2010, 14:03
Then the customer gets angry when a standard tech turns up as process is not being followed.;)

I've my doubts the customer will care about process not being followed, they're not likely to be asking the tech when he arrives what grade of technician he is.

In any case it's all silly, 50 isn't much different from the others from the service tech's point of view, certainly not the 20 when running on the overlay network.

Peter_
29-06-2010, 14:20
I've my doubts the customer will care about process not being followed, they're not likely to be asking the tech when he arrives what grade of technician he is.

In any case it's all silly, 50 isn't much different from the others from the service tech's point of view, certainly not the 20 when running on the overlay network.
That is what the process says should happen with 50Mb and when a normal tech goes out they often end up refering it to the principal tech as they are unsure of how to proceed.

Ignitionnet
29-06-2010, 14:41
Yet 20Mbps customers using the same network, same CMTS, etc, as a 50Mbps customer get a standard service tech.

It's weird and pointless. DOCSIS 3 bonded or not makes no difference to the service techs, power tolerances are the same as unbonded solutions.

Peter_
29-06-2010, 15:41
Yet 20Mbps customers using the same network, same CMTS, etc, as a 50Mbps customer get a standard service tech.

It's weird and pointless. DOCSIS 3 bonded or not makes no difference to the service techs, power tolerances are the same as unbonded solutions.
It has nothing to do with us as we just follow the process as laid down and book a principal technician for every 50Mb callout, as long as we have done our part then it is out of our hands.

jb66
29-06-2010, 19:24
It has nothing to do with us as we just follow the process as laid down and book a principal technician for every 50Mb callout, as long as we have done our part then it is out of our hands.

The only diffrence between a tech and a principal is that a principal has a laptop to prove the customers computer is at fault regarding 50meg

Peter_
29-06-2010, 19:27
The only diffrence between a tech and a principal is that a principal has a laptop to prove the customers computer is at fault regarding 50meg
Yes but we have to book a principal tech with a specific code as per our booking process, so it is not me or you that are wrong but elsewhere up the chain.;)

jb66
29-06-2010, 20:09
Unless I have a code on my I'd?

Peter_
29-06-2010, 20:21
Unless I have a code on my I'd?
No idea what you mean what is my I'd

jb66
29-06-2010, 21:39
Every tech has there own ID Number

Peter_
29-06-2010, 22:32
Every tech has there own ID Number
I know that but that has nothing to do with us booking a technician.

jb66
29-06-2010, 23:30
Yes but we have to book a principal tech with a specific code as per our booking process, so it is not me or you that are wrong but elsewhere up the chain.;)

I am saying maybe i have a code as well as the Principal technician to do 50Meg installs

Peter_
29-06-2010, 23:38
I am saying maybe i have a code as well as the Principal technician to do 50Meg installs
The code I mean is the despatch code which shows the type of tech required which appears to fail after we book one.

Red Squirrel
30-06-2010, 09:48
That's good information to know for the future regarding principle techs for 50Mbit. I had three what I believe were ordinary techs out and my speed problem still persisted. Then I had a principle tech out and the issue was resolved in two days.

the-cable-guy
01-07-2010, 03:40

do you mean the wireless one ? if so i too didnt receive mine when the engineer called so i rang CS & they sent me one within two days ;)