PDA

View Full Version : all downloads are corrupt

dunno
27-06-2010, 14:32
so i have loads of problems with my 50mb internet loads of engineers coming out and thay have no idea what the problem is

slow speeds
internet loses connection
and now all downloads are corrupt

just got an iphone went to install itunes and every time the download is corrupt tried a few other files from well know sites and every time it downloads.
but on install it says the download is corrupt

what the hell is wrong any help please would be great

Kymmy
27-06-2010, 14:58
Dunno Dunno

The Installer
27-06-2010, 15:16
Check the RAM in your computer, this can cause all kind of problems if faulty.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Free program there, reboot your machine and makesure there is nothing running on it that doesn't need to be and run that program and let it run for a good while, the longer the better.

I have had faulty RAM before and get all kinds of WinRAR errors as well as corrut downloads etc.

Might not be your RAM at fault, but worth while checking.

Andrewcrawford23
27-06-2010, 21:27
so i have loads of problems with my 50mb internet loads of engineers coming out and thay have no idea what the problem is

slow speeds
internet loses connection
and now all downloads are corrupt

just got an iphone went to install itunes and every time the download is corrupt tried a few other files from well know sites and every time it downloads.
but on install it says the download is corrupt

what the hell is wrong any help please would be great

first two i wont comment on without information on, but the last corrutp dosnloads can come from network ie vrign right thorugh to yoru computer, rotuer or home network. try hard wiring and see if it still corrupt then you have elimate it to yoru comptuer or virgin network but to be honest 85% of the time it is a comptuer/home network issue not to say it cant be virign issue just general computer/home network issue

Sithinaboot
28-06-2010, 14:14
For corrupt downloads...
Within netgear router config try disabling the SPI firewall (under WAN Setup) to get there connect to the internet and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of internet explorer and enter the username: admin and password: password

This is usually caused by the router
and solved a lot of these issues by doing the above steps - you may wanna reset the router if youre not happy about disabling SPI. But its not
going to be virgin medias network thats causing this.

Best advice is to try a direct connection to modem to rule out the router and to prove its the network.

pazor
29-06-2010, 09:27
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33665801-corrupt-downloads.html
Your not the only person having this problem (dont listen to them people saying it cant be virgins fault)
I was using rapidshare to download legal files before any says pirate ! But have had to move over to nzb files as they come with par files to repair the download.

Sithinaboot
29-06-2010, 18:57
What you are referring to with rapidshare is a isolated and known fault which is mentioned in virgin media's official forums - its unclear what exactly happened but there was an issue where there was an offence committed by a virgin media customer who was downloading illegal content (of some sort - the exact nature is unknown) but virgin had to monitor all traffic to do with rapidshare and this is why people were having problems with it. The how's, what's, if's and why's are entirely debatable but it seems to be happening with all major download sites that host illegal content - and its not being blocked on purpose - its said that you can still access those sites by using proxy server (webcache.virginmedia.com with port 8080) but yours is an entirely different issue from the original poster - and as i'm not sure what exact issues you had then I will move on...

You mentioned an issue with 1 site: Rapidshare.

The original poster has issues with ALL downloads being corrupt.

As previously stated, this is down to the router (well 99% of the time i have found its down to the router and its to do with spi firewall stuff)

But the op can prove us all wrong if he connects direct to the modem and tests it by downloading something direct from Microsoft's own website.

If direct to the modem, with a download direct from Microsoft you still get errors then yeah, maybe it is an issue to raise to VM about their network.

But the correct Tshooting must be done to ascertain this.

Good luck with this and i do hope you get it all sorted coz man, the 50 meg connection is uber expensive.

Cheers

pip08456
29-06-2010, 19:18
the 50 meg connection is uber expensive.

Cheers

Beg to differ.

Sithinaboot
29-06-2010, 19:27
Its like 38 quid is it not? lol unless you got a staff deal :P

RainmakerRaw
30-06-2010, 05:01

You really consider that expensive? Really? I get 6.32 MB/sec down and 205KB/sec up 24/7, have complete freedom in how (and how much) I use my connection, and certainly get my money's worth in bandwidth each month... Hell, I almost feel like I'm the one ripping them off. £38 is a bargain imho. At least when you're in an area that works well. I'm ex-Telewest but no problems to speak of afaik. Roll on 100Mbps, 200Mbps and 400Mbps. With decent upload, I'm more than happy to pay a premium for a decent service.

pazor
30-06-2010, 09:35
What you are referring to with rapidshare is a isolated and known fault which is mentioned in virgin media's official forums - its unclear what exactly happened but there was an issue where there was an offence committed by a virgin media customer who was downloading illegal content

This is not the same problem im talking about, My problem was prob over 18month ago now and was after my connection went down for 2 days due to a problem at the box. After they fixed it every single file i download was corrupt not only rapidshare but windows updates/drivers anything i download was corrupt.
I was having to delete and redownload upto 6 times before i would what seemed like a better connection for it work. Every time i tried to download something if it started slow it was corrupt everytime i had to keep trying till i got a full speed download and it was always ok then.
This was tested with various pc's and laptops direct and on wireless also tested my laptops on my sisters VM connection and downloaded the same file never had problems at her house.
This is stll ongoing but as i said i can now repair what i download with par files. Updates i have to just keep trying.

Andrewcrawford23
30-06-2010, 10:18
This is not the same problem im talking about, My problem was prob over 18month ago now and was after my connection went down for 2 days due to a problem at the box. After they fixed it every single file i download was corrupt not only rapidshare but windows updates/drivers anything i download was corrupt.
I was having to delete and redownload upto 6 times before i would what seemed like a better connection for it work. Every time i tried to download something if it started slow it was corrupt everytime i had to keep trying till i got a full speed download and it was always ok then.
This was tested with various pc's and laptops direct and on wireless also tested my laptops on my sisters VM connection and downloaded the same file never had problems at her house.
This is stll ongoing but as i said i can now repair what i download with par files. Updates i have to just keep trying.

if it is direct then oyu have elimated the rotuer, so the issue is either the network or the comptuer.

but i suspect eh entwork more sicne the issue only happen after oyu got something changed

try running a ping test to bbc using the follow command

ping -n 50 bbc.co.uk
then do a ping test to the site yoru donwloading form

ping -n 50 site

then post the informaiton as follows pacjet sent, reciewved, lost, min, max, avg

this is first indictor or where the problem will be

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

staff deal aint much cheaper well if you are comparing it to 20mb anyway but obiovusly it is cheaper ;)

dunno
02-07-2010, 21:56
update i have a dlink router unplugged it and wired in direct pc to modem most downloads are now working fine.

so im pretty sure its a problem with the router

Kymmy
04-07-2010, 09:31
Usual questions then, have you got the firmware of the router to the latest spec, have you defaulted the router to factory defaults and have you googled the router model to see if there's any specific problem with them?