PDA

View Full Version : Installation queries

Dinalt
24-06-2010, 18:21
Hi all,

I've been a cable customer for many years but dropped all bar my 'phone as our area (SL2) was supplied with analogue cable only.

Just recently we've been informed that our area has been upgraded to digital so I'm seriously thinking of ditching Sky etc. and moving all of my relevant services to Virgin. However I've got a few queries - was wondering if you guys could help me with the following:

1. Our existing cable services come via a buried cable from a take off on the pathway outside my house - would this be sufficient to carry the new services or would they need to dig a new trench ? (originaly the trench was dug under my front lawn but this has since been paved and I'd rather they didn't dig up the paving ...

2. When I enquired at the shop ref installation of the new services they indicated that the cable modem would be installed next to the feed to the television - since my home network is upstairs this isn't massively convenient - would they be prepared to install the modem in my office or would it have to be kept next to the other feed ?

3. If i have to keep the modem downstairs would it be possible to slip the installer a few quid to run a length of cat 5 upstairs to the office or would I be forced to get a N class access point or wireless dongles for the pcs up there ? (I currently only use wireless access for a couple of pdas and a PS3 so my wireless set up is Class G)

Sorry for the lengthy post any help or advice much appreaciated.

DinAlt

jb66
24-06-2010, 19:27
You can have the modem anywhere you want as long as it is a reasonable request, which it seems it is, the old cable should be fine but if its not during install you could cancel.

weesteev
24-06-2010, 19:29
Hi Dinalt, great to hear you can get service now! Sounds like you another another of our West London members :)

1 - The existing coax cable should be sufficient to support digital services, if needs be the tech can replace this but will find out on the day after initial checks on the line.

2 - The install team should be prepared to locate equipment where you request (at a reasonable distance) so if you need the modem upstairs then they should run some RG6 up to that room and connect the modem there for you. The tehcnician will advise on the day what is possible so let him/her know exactly what you want.

3 - The tech wont be carrying any CAT5 cable so wont be able to do this, they woul djust fit the coax to that room which would be better. Are you not getting a wireless kit with your install anyway? New installs get the new Dlink 615 wireless router as part of the install. 50Mb XXL broadband customers also get the Wireless N adapter included.

Hope this helps but if you need anything just give me a shout, would be glad to help! And good luck with the install let us know how it go's.

Dinalt
24-06-2010, 22:14
Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

Weesteev yes I will be getting one of your wireless routers but I'm used to having a wired network and wasn't sure Wireless would be fast enough - I currently use the Wireless G for the pdas etc and for streaming video to the PS3 - if they can fit the modem/router in my office Ii'll probably get a wireless N access point for the ps3 (I take it a wireless N dongle wouldn't work on a PS3 ?)

Thanks again,

Got to say i'm looking forward to seeong more than 1.5 mbs..

Dinalt

weesteev
25-06-2010, 07:42
Wireless will be fast enough, as long as its an all "N" network. The biggest problem will be signal strength and if wireless is able to cover all the devices in your home.

Wireless USB wont work with the PS3 but any wireless access point or bridge connected by ethernet to the PS3 will do the job. Powerline is also a consideration of the wireless strength isnt enough.

ANything more than 1.5Mb broadband is always a bonus :) I still remember getting my first 512Kbps broadband connection from BT then a few years afyer getting 2Mbps cable from Telewest... that was quite a difference in download speed!

Enjoy your service!

Dinalt
26-06-2010, 15:22
Well what a f***ing fiasco!

Went into the Slough office to sort out installation dates etc and was told :

a. I'm not eligible for the "free months" i was offered last week

b. They had quoted me for 10 meg not 20 meg broadband - despite giving my a written quotation

So basically the whole thing was a waste of time .. left with a very nasty taste in my mouth..

(The store had claimed to be able to offer me a special offer has they had just opened - in fact they are completely and utterly useless for exisiting Virgin customers).

Update - contacted VM by 'phone and they don't have a record of the phone call FROM THEM offering me a deal to switch my BB and TV - what a shower....

If I didn't want to avoid the hassle of changing nos etc I'd tell them where to stick their phone line atm..

DinAlt

weesteev
26-06-2010, 17:00
Well what a f***ing fiasco!

Went into the Slough office to sort out installation dates etc and was told :

a. I'm not eligible for the "free months" i was offered last week

b. They had quoted me for 10 meg not 20 meg broadband - despite giving my a written quotation

So basically the whole thing was a waste of time .. left with a very nasty taste in my mouth..

(The store had claimed to be able to offer me a special offer has they had just opened - in fact they are completely and utterly useless for exisiting Virgin customers).

Update - contacted VM by 'phone and they don't have a record of the phone call FROM THEM offering me a deal to switch my BB and TV - what a shower....

If I didn't want to avoid the hassle of changing nos etc I'd tell them where to stick their phone line atm..

DinAlt

Dinalt, im not to sure about offers (not my area) but If you phone and speak with customer relations they should be able to assist.

I understand there are some special offers for customers in the West London upgrade areas and they should be able to advise you on the T&C's, I'm not sure how offers would work with existing customers to be honest.

:(

Dinalt
26-06-2010, 17:21
Hi Weesteev,

I was phoned up by a telesales person from VM on Wednesday 17th offering me 2 months free tv and 6 months free broadband as I'm a long term cable (almost 20 years now). Unfortuntely I was just on my way out (I was driving to Scotland) and didn't have time to talk to the rep.

When I got back I popped into the new VM shop on Slough High Street and was given a written quote for unlimited phone, Xl TV and broadband - this deal included 6 months free broadband though they weren't sure about the TV..

I rang them last night to sign up and was told i had to come into the shop in person to sign up.
When I got into the shop they told me the special offer was for new customers only and that I'd been quoted the wrong price for the non discounted services too...
Next I rang 150 spoke to customer services and they said they had no record of any deal offered me and quoted me the standard rates..

What's the no for customer relations ? - might as well give it a go..

Regards

DinAlt

weesteev
26-06-2010, 20:02
151 from your home phone, options 2/2/2 I believe. Basically follow the options through for disconnection.

Good luck!

Dinalt
06-07-2010, 17:30
Update

Install completed this afternoon - very friendly installer all went well

Only down point is I got the older V+ box and my god is it slow - also seems to queue up key presses so does nothing then shoots past the target location..

Got the full 20 meg speed from my broadband (until i promptly used up my limit and was capped <g>).

All in all an happy bunny (will be happier still with a newer / more responsive box)

DinAlt

weesteev
07-07-2010, 07:24
Update

Install completed this afternoon - very friendly installer all went well

Only down point is I got the older V+ box and my god is it slow - also seems to queue up key presses so does nothing then shoots past the target location..

Got the full 20 meg speed from my broadband (until i promptly used up my limit and was capped <g>).

All in all an happy bunny (will be happier still with a newer / more responsive box)

DinAlt

Excellent news Dinalt, glad you got sorted.