PDA

View Full Version : Internet issues [Soon to be resolved?]

AGray
22-06-2010, 00:02
Previously i was on the 10mb broadband package, while at times it was good, there was other times it was highly temperamental. I would end up being disconnected at random, before being reconnected again almost instantly.

This was about 12months ago, and in those 12months i had 3 engineer visits to come and look at the problem. Initially, my internet was running through my neighbours home/box, so Virgin decided to give me my own box outside my house.

Everything was again fine for a period. Until it happened again.

They come out again, and they checked the modem and added a "thing" to the cable leading into the mode, apparently the signals were too high, and this was to make it more stable.

Alas, it didn't help much, so they come out again, and they added a second one of these things to the back of my modem, so i now have 2x small cube things connected to my modem.

Roll on a few months, i do remember having some issues still, but they wouldnt be considered major, just a slight nuisence. I then decided to upgrade my packages with Virgin, where i got V+ HD, 20mb broadband etc. This was about 3-4 weeks ago.

In the 3-4 weeks, my internet every 3-4 days decides to have a hissy fit. Same as a couple of months ago, where my modem would continually disconnect and reconnect instantly:

Sync light would flash rapidly, stabilise, Ready would flash, and stay solid.
1minute later it would disconnect
After 30seconds, the same would happen

So it would be going over and over and over the same scenario, and it was incredibly frustrating in all honesty. I remember when the technician came out the last time to check my broadband, 6-7month ago, he said pretty much they have done all they can with it, so if it fails again (Which it has been doing) its likely to be replaced.

In the end i reached the end of my tether and decided to phone 150. I spoke to someone who again raised a case and said another technician will be out in 2 days to check it over. The modem i have is one of the oooold NTL250-Blue modems.

I just grow concerned if this will fix it, or if i am going to be going around in circles even with a new piece of gear. I was contemplating changing my mind and going on the 50mb broadband, but all the costs from upgrading keep escalating, and if it doesnt fix the problem whats the point.

I did take a few screengrabs of random intervals of my cable modem downstream, one from last week, and a couple from today:

http://img689.imageshack .us/i/new1k.jpg
http://img684.imageshack .us/i/nt01.jpg
http://img3.imageshack .us/i/virgindisconn.jpg/

It seems apparent these problems occur during late afternoon, between 4pm and 6pm. And the problem consists for a whole hour non-stop. Today was quite bad though considering it was bad for 2 hours or more. I gave up in the end.

Bah okay Imageshack isnt working so well. How rare!

pip08456
22-06-2010, 01:18
3 engineers in 12 isn't all that bad really is itas long as they resolved the issue which they must've done.

As for your stats all 3 are broken due to spaces between imageshack and .us even with that fixed the top 2 show image not found so, the easy way to upload your stats here.

Copy and paste each stat page (upload, download) into the same page in note pad.

Then edit/select all/copy and paste into the message window on the forum.

Chances are they'll replace the modem but I'm sure they'll get you back up and running smoothly.

AGray
22-06-2010, 02:07
First

Downstream Lock- Not locked
Downstream Receive Power Level: -14.7 dBmv
Downstream SNR- 22.1 dB

^ This one was when i was in one of the many disconnection phases today.

Second

Downstream Receive Power Level: -3.0 dBmv
Downstream SNR- 37.9 dB

^ This was while connected to internet a couple of days ago.

Third

Downstream Receive Power Level: -3.5 dBmv
Downstream SNR- 38.2 dB

^ This was sometime today while connected to the internet, but again during the period where i was online, but barely.

---

The signals are roughly the same now as i write this (-3 dBmv // 38 dB).

In essence though i just felt as if the engineer visits where 3 too many, i know i know. While i did end up on my own connection as opposed to being routed through via my neighbour that made things easier in the long run.

But even though i didn't bring it up to Virgin directly over the last 6 months, the issue has always been there, i do recall having a nice honeymoon period after each visit where i didn't encounter any problems, but after a few weeks i relised the disconnect/reconnections where occuring again.

The problem with engineer visits and what not is it takes me an incredible amount of "willpower" to raise these issues directly over the phone, and then waiting in for the engineers to come. Thats more of a social anxiety thing but one of the reasons i never bring it up to them on a weekly/monthly basis ;

Lastly, the new Virgin Media Service page is pretty terrible, i did keep tabs on it on here a week or two ago when someone else brought it up, and i sort of did understand what the replies were saying, but the fact that the problems never ever show up on the website drives me crazy, i have yet to see it actually say anything of interest apart from "Good service"... Which, well, you know.

Oh and it seemed the top two imageshack pictures didn't work because i forgot to add a backspace to them like the third pic. Very temperamental...

pip08456
22-06-2010, 03:51
Well your 2nd and 3rd downstream stats are fine but you've omitted the upstream as this can have serious impact on your service and I suspect this is what is causing the problem but cannot confirm due to their omission.

Your upstream transmit power should be below +55dBmV, anything above and both upstream and downstream will deteriorate.

Like it or not it will need an engineer out to fix it.

ron101
22-06-2010, 09:12
Hi i had 3 mths of disconnection's about 2 engineers a week sometimes if would be off all day , ive had enough of this SO dont worry he does not deal with it him self, he'll pass it on to his next on the ladder, i did that was saturday lunch time 2 hrs later i got 2 more emails one from him and one from his supervisor saying that the engineers would be round on monday and they were and its done, that's impressive, mines a 50Gb line and they had some troubles at the box that was about 1hr + 1hr at home, they sent network engineer and a installer to do the job. If it wasn't for sunday they would have there the next day.

pip08456
22-06-2010, 10:11
The CEO's office should be used as a last resort. There is a vast difference between 2 engineers a week and 3 in 12 months.

If everyone resorted to contacting the CEO for every minor fault nothing would get done and you would've deprived those with major issues like yourself from quick assistance.

Yes I know offshore C/s stinks and there is a vast room for improvement but there is also the other golden rule-ring as early in the morning as possible (from 08.00 onwards) to stand a chance of UK support.

AGray
26-06-2010, 17:55
Just a slight update.

So on Wednesday the engineer come out, decided to replace my old NTL250 modem and in turn replace it with the Virgin 256 modem.

However it was shortlived, mid afternoon Friday (About 3pm) my net went off, and at the same time my mum who was watching TV was saying the TV was pausing all the time (Or locking up).

It passed after about 2hours.

But its happened again today. Exact same time as well, around 3pm. First my net went temporamental, before going off completely for a few minutes at a time. I gave up and watched TV, to notice that the TV was constantly locking up making it virtually unwatchable.

Its only just come back on about 5minutes ago. Really very very annoying. I don't want to have to call and have an engineer come out every week to get this checked out, but i had my reservations about it being the modem, and moreso the actual line. But i don't know why it has suddenly got worse now...

Alas, during the downtime i checked the modem configuation to be sure..

Downstream (While disconnected)

Powerlevel Recieve: 3.3dBmV
SNR: 23.5 dB (That looks really low)

Upstream (While disconnected)

Powerlevel: 44.2 dBmV
0 (Zero) on everything else.

Then once i reconnected to the internet

Downstream (While connected)

Powerlevel: 4.8 dBmV
SNR: 40 dB

Upstream (While connected)

Powerlevel 44.2 dBmV
Frequency: 45800000 hz

Alas, at least the saving grace was the fact it humanely come back on before the Doctor Who finale, i guess there is a God after all.